Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2010, 06:35 AM   #1

Upgrading Stereo - Last Minute Advise Needed

Its finally time to upgrade my stereo. I have an 05 Boxster S with the Bose CDR24 unit. I am planning on replacing the head unit and amp.

I have decided on a Kenwood DVD Navigation system; however, I keep waffling on which one.

I initially decided on the DNX6140 as it is probably all I need. I have found it for $678 on Amazon. Then I noticed that I could get the DNX8120 for $999 (it is discontinued, but some are still available on the market.) I have also considered going with the DNX9140 for $1345.00.

Does anyone have experience with any of these units? I believe one of the big benefits of going from the DNX6140 to the higher end units is that it plays 5.1. Does the 5.1 sound work well with the Bose surround sound Speaker system? Is it worth the difference in cost?

I plan to go with the Alpine PDX-5 amp. I will be using the Kenwood KCA-IP301V ipod video direct cable.

Here are where I need some serious advice:

1. There is a local installer who comes highly recommended; however, he's never performed a Boxster installation. Is this an installation that a reasonably good installer can handle?

2. What other parts will be necessary for this installation.

3. Does anyone have any recommendations that I can give the installer to make this go smoothly and look excellent. I heard that there is some kit on Ebay, but I haven't been able to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

4. Am I forgetting anything?

5. Is it worth going to the higher end units.

Thank you very much for your help!

Greg

greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Here is the kit you are referring too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PORSCHE-987-CAYMAN-CUSTOM-2-DIN-INSTALLATION-KIT_W0QQitemZ220537541219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item33590fd263

You might try contacting the seller, he is a member on RennTech and created the kit and is very knowledgeable about double din installs.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:34 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Here is the kit you are referring too:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-PORSCHE-987-CAYMAN-CUSTOM-2-DIN-INSTALLATION-KIT_W0QQitemZ220537541219QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_Def aultDomain_0?hash=item33590fd263

You might try contacting the seller, he is a member on RennTech and created the kit and is very knowledgeable about double din installs.

Thank you very much for the link.
greg9ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg9ball
Thank you very much for the link.
How did the install go? I'm contemplating the Kenwood DNX9140 or an Alpine unit.
9mmkungfu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #5

Having just installed the DNX7140 in my car, here are my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg9ball
Its finally time to upgrade my stereo. I have an 05 Boxster S with the Bose CDR24 unit. I am planning on replacing the head unit and amp.

I have decided on a Kenwood DVD Navigation system; however, I keep waffling on which one.

I initially decided on the DNX6140 as it is probably all I need. I have found it for $678 on Amazon. Then I noticed that I could get the DNX8120 for $999 (it is discontinued, but some are still available on the market.) I have also considered going with the DNX9140 for $1345.00.

Does anyone have experience with any of these units? I believe one of the big benefits of going from the DNX6140 to the higher end units is that it plays 5.1. Does the 5.1 sound work well with the Bose surround sound Speaker system? Is it worth the difference in cost?

I plan to go with the Alpine PDX-5 amp. I will be using the Kenwood KCA-IP301V ipod video direct cable.

Here are where I need some serious advice:

1. There is a local installer who comes highly recommended; however, he's never performed a Boxster installation. Is this an installation that a reasonably good installer can handle?
Yes, though since he's never done it, I don't know if he'll want to out of liability

2. What other parts will be necessary for this installation.
No other parts are needed, though you should check for EVERYTHING that is supposed to come with the kit. The seller had forgot to include screws, but sent them to me after I contacted him. You might want a cutter, some zip ties, and sealant or glue though

3. Does anyone have any recommendations that I can give the installer to make this go smoothly and look excellent. I heard that there is some kit on Ebay, but I haven't been able to find it. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
The kit worked really well for me. I've been told that you can do it without the kit, but I didn't want to take the chance. The one thing that I would say (that is emphasized) is make sure you're very careful when making the cuts

4. Am I forgetting anything?
If you're going through the installer, then no. The kit, head unit, and some tools were all I needed

5. Is it worth going to the higher end units.
This really is a personal question. I looked at all of Kenwood's units before deciding and chose the 7140 b/c the touchscreen, navi, ipod, video, and hands free bluetooth were enough for me. I definitely recommend adding in rear speakers though as they made a big difference.

Thank you very much for your help!

Greg
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #6

Oh yeah. There is one thing you can do to make it easier on the installer. That's looking up the instructions for installation on Renntech.

There are two sets of instructions: wiring harness instructions, and installing the headunit instructions. I'd look it up but at work right now.
Parts for sale: 4-spoke Steering wheel, air bag, and leather cover ($350 + shipping), Rear zipper storage bin ($100 + shipping), CDR-210 Factory OEM radio, casing, and keys ($100 + shipping), Hand brake handle and hand brake sensor ($50 + shipping), Manual factory leather shift knob ($Free + shipping)
Tranlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #7

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranlm
Oh yeah. There is one thing you can do to make it easier on the installer. That's looking up the instructions for installation on Renntech.

There are two sets of instructions: wiring harness instructions, and installing the headunit instructions. I'd look it up but at work right now.
How do you like the Kenwood?

9mmkungfu is offline   Reply With Quote