986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Zeintop, Some Solution To Squeaking And Fittment Issues (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/23401-zeintop-some-solution-squeaking-fittment-issues.html)

aparmex 01-21-2010 05:55 PM

Zeintop, Some Solution To Squeaking And Fittment Issues

Hi recently I bought a zeintop DIY kit like 3 months ago, it took for me like 3 weeks to get the zeintop fitted and painted I was delighted with how much improved the looks of my boxster but the problem started when I began to drive the car, I was shocked on how much squeaking and noises where everwhere, since then I had been trying diferents ways to reduce that problem, I am exposing here 3 ways to reduce the squeaking problem on the zeintop like in 40% if any of you guys who have zeintops have any other solution I would appreciate so much, letīs share in this thread all the solutions to zeintop problems and we all will have a better solution over all, ok?

the first thing that I solved and made a hugh difference in the fittment and looks is that I put a plate and a bolt to press as much as possible the spinlocks because they were moving so much and all the zeintop was very loose causing all kinds of squeaking, doing this also solves the problem with the fitting of the zeintop lowering it without the need to remove the soft top, here is the picture, it was easy to do if you have someone who know how to weld....

aparmex 01-21-2010 05:58 PM

Another solution that worked for is that I added some cushion pads to the rear lid, I noticed that the lid was hitting the rear part with some damage on the painting, here are the pics of the damage and the cushion pads made of foam for windows, they are not so noticeable and it cures this problem...

here is the pic of the problem...

aparmex 01-21-2010 06:00 PM

and here is the solution to the problem with the foam pads...

aparmex 01-21-2010 06:03 PM

I also notice that a lot of squeaking were coming from the sunblocking visors on the front and I also put some rubber pads to prevent from hitting the top and it made some difference....
here is the pic of the rubber pad that can be bought on walmart or home depot...

rick3000 01-21-2010 06:08 PM

Good write up!
I am surprised that you had some many squeaks, I would have expected better fitment from a $5k hardtop, you would think Zientop could have easily added what you did for that price.

aparmex 01-21-2010 06:46 PM

Well I do not know if the squeaking problem is normal but honestly I do not like it at all !!!, I am working in other ideas because I still have muck squeaking left to be solved so if you guuys had any other solutions I will appreciate, thanks :cheers: !!!

landrovered 01-22-2010 04:29 AM

Bien hecho!