Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2010, 12:36 PM   #1

2000 Box S won't go above 1500 rpm

Hello,

I need some advice on if anyone has had a problem with their car entering "limp home" mode. I had my boxster sitting for about a month and the battery died. I charged it up, and got it started. When I went to drive it, it would not go above 1500 rpm. I tried disconnecting the battery again and then restarting but it didn't help. Can anyone give me some advice before I take it into the Porsche dealer? Any ideas of what I can expect?

Thanks,
Jim

poncepl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:48 PM   #2

did you have the cel codes read?
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:50 PM   #3

Yes. It came up with "P1502 Fuel Pump Relay Output Stage - Short Circuit to B+". I don't know where the fuel pump relay is located to check it out. Can you point me in the right direction?
Jim
Old 01-20-2010, 09:02 PM   #4

I also have a 00 986S and have had that scenario happen to me a few times. Not sure if I got that code or not. Whatever it was, it just went away after resetting it. It usually happens after I mess with something such as installing an electrical part like an 02 sensor.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

I replaced the relay and reset the code. It runs fine until I turn off the key. When I restart the same code returns and the car goes back into the "limp mode". Anyone have any ideas, cautions, experiences with this?
Old 01-29-2010, 09:18 PM   #6

Like I said, that has happened to me and I have the same year model as you. Try resetting the codes, and then turning the key on but not the ignition. Keep it there for about 30 seconds and you'll notice some of the lights in the dash disappear. That is to let you know that the car is done calibrating itself. This needs to be done after certain types of changes but I do it everytime I install any type of new equipment. Keep starting up the car this way (waiting for aboug 30 sec and then starting it up without turning it back off otherwise you'll have to wait again) for the next 3 or so times and it may fix the problem.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 07:40 AM   #7

Thanks Viper. I will give that a try. Let's cross our fingers. I will let you know if that does the trick.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #8

It ended up being the throttle body. I had it replaced. Works like a champ now. My mechanic said that letting the car sit for an extended time might have contributed. To avoid another $1000 bill, I make sure it gets driven regularly now. Expensive lesson!