Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #1

Just purchased PDE2 Boxster S

Hey guys,
I just purchased a PDE2. I know it wasn't received as well as the other Limited Editions but seeing this car in person makes the car so much more special. During my search most of the comments from various forums that I saw were negative but for me I really liked the color combo of the car and really wanted one.

Initially yes they were pricey when first introduced but during my search they are probably one of the best buys today. Initially I wanted an RS60 Spyder. As I searched I found a couple of PDE2 in the east coast. I also noticed that the price of a new PDE2 was selling for less than a used RS60 Spyder with several thousand miles. The two cars have basically the same options and engine. Besides there's supposed to be only 50 of these coming to North America which makes it a really rare car inthe US.

The first time I drove this car I was in awe and still in Awe specially coming from a 2002 S Tip transmission. I've only had it a few days so far so I didn 't have much time on the road with it yet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cas951s

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 PM   #2

Garage
Congratulations. Its a sexy beast.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #3

Garage
I personally love the PDE2 congrats
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 04:45 PM   #4

Thanks guys.
I haven't been able to stay away from the garage all weekend. Too bad it's been raining here today otherwise I would have been on the road. I put almost 100 miles on Saturday. Weather was great.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:16 PM   #5

I'm in looooove

Great car!
Kim-M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 05:21 PM   #6

Wow, very very nice!!!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:10 PM   #7

Congrats. I looked at those as well. I think they look great. I went with the RS60 just because I love red interiors. Enjoy.
05speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05speedyellow
Congrats. I looked at those as well. I think they look great. I went with the RS60 just because I love red interiors. Enjoy.
Thanks.
Your RS60 was actually one of the ones I wanted to go after. I think that was in Dallas. There's also one more at Boardwalk Porsche near Dallas I was about to go after. That one was a grey int and a black top with about 3,000 miles. I really wanted the RS60 with Red top and interior but I couldn't convince my wife. Than I saw the PDE2's in Louiville and New Jersey. I went after those first.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951
Thanks.
Your RS60 was actually one of the ones I wanted to go after. I think that was in Dallas. There's also one more at Boardwalk Porsche near Dallas I was about to go after. That one was a grey int and a black top with about 3,000 miles. I really wanted the RS60 with Red top and interior but I couldn't convince my wife. Than I saw the PDE2's in Louiville and New Jersey. I went after those first.

Boardwalk actually called me about that one but I only wanted red interior. Ended up driving to Houston last month to buy this one. My wife said she is jealous of your PDE2. That was her 1st choice but I could not find one close by.
05speedyellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:06 AM   #10

Brumos had a new black on black PDE Cayman on the showroom while I was dealing on my Boxster S, it was tempting, but I really wanted the rag top and really DIDN'T want the new Cayman S PDE price tag!!
Gorgeous car cas
Old 01-19-2010, 06:42 AM   #11

Thanks for the comments. The Design Edition 1 color combo was really nice. I saw one of them when they were first introduced. I think they were in the 70k+ range. I would hope their current asking price are discounted like the other models.

What's interesting is during my search I noticed significant price differences between regions. I looked at RS60 Spyders and PDE2 as these are the two that I wanted. There was a big price gap between these two. A new PDE2 was selling for far less than a used RS60 Spyder with about 5-10k miles. I also noticed a new PDE2 in the east coast or midwest was selling for far less than a new one in California. There's one is Southern California now asking at 78k compared to one in the midwest asking at 50k. Tempting to buy this and sell in LA.... Looks like a good investment if I buy now and sell during the spring.
Old 01-19-2010, 09:14 AM   #12

i'd hit it
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #13

Very, very nice car, congrats. Sure to get many approving, and likely longing, looks!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy
Very, very nice car, congrats. Sure to get many approving, and likely longing, looks!
Thanks and yes the looks are lready there. Even from a 911 C4 cab owner. He actually drove next to me to get a better look and gave me a thumbs up. I was shocked.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:41 AM   #15

Gorgeous Car

That does look terrific cas951, esp near the beach. Love the white stitching.

Kinda reminds me of my late '69 Alfa Spider Duetto which had been repainted white (incl wheels) to cover the rust. Loved that car! Dealing with brake dust must be a full time job, it's tough enough on the RS60. Enjoy!
Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 05:22 AM   #16
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Hey guys,
I just purchased a PDE2. I know it wasn't received as well as the other Limited Editions but seeing this car in person makes the car so much more special. During my search most of the comments from various forums that I saw were negative but for me I really liked the color combo of the car and really wanted one.

Initially yes they were pricey when first introduced but during my search they are probably one of the best buys today. Initially I wanted an RS60 Spyder. As I searched I found a couple of PDE2 in the east coast. I also noticed that the price of a new PDE2 was selling for less than a used RS60 Spyder with several thousand miles. The two cars have basically the same options and engine. Besides there's supposed to be only 50 of these coming to North America which makes it a really rare car inthe US.

The first time I drove this car I was in awe and still in Awe specially coming from a 2002 S Tip transmission. I've only had it a few days so far so I didn 't have much time on the road with it yet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/cas951s
How would you compare the 3 cars, the 986S, 987S, and 951?
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #17

Difference between the three.

Well. The 986S I ended up giving to my son. I didn't really care to drive it anymore since having the 987S. Selling it was worthless since 986 market is so bad. I haven't driven the 986 since I've had the 987.

The 987S vs. 951S? Completely different cars but both are well balanced in their own way. The 987S wins by a long margin since the power band is all around vs. the 951S has turbo lag till about 3k rpm. The 987S make you smile every time you floor it. The acceleration is no comparison to the 986S. The exhaust tone from the sport exhaust just make me smile and sounds completely different from other 986S that I've driven. I love it. My son in law has a 2003 986S and my brother has a 2003 986. it's been a month since I've had it and I think I've put on maybe 225 miles or so. It's not our daily driver. Drop the top down and drive fairly aggressive and that's when you really feel the beauty of a 987S or any Boxster. I let my Daughter's boyfriend drive the car. He is a BWM guy who used to have a M Coupe and a 335i and also used to be a race car driver for the Star Mazda series. Man did he have a grin on his face. He actually said this made him actually like a Boxster which he didn't before.

The 951s has the balance of a Boxster, power for long straights or freeways. It will be a dog if driven on short straights or city streets. It needs room to stretch it's gears. Once above 3k and on long open freeways this car is a blast. I don't think my 987s will match. This car is rarely driven 1000 miles a year.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Difference between the three.

Well. The 986S I ended up giving to my son. I didn't really care to drive it anymore since having the 987S. Selling it was worthless since 986 market is so bad. I haven't driven the 986 since I've had the 987.

The 987S vs. 951S? Completely different cars but both are well balanced in their own way. The 987S wins by a long margin since the power band is all around vs. the 951S has turbo lag till about 3k rpm. The 987S make you smile every time you floor it. The acceleration is no comparison to the 986S. The exhaust tone from the sport exhaust just make me smile and sounds completely different from other 986S that I've driven. I love it. My son in law has a 2003 986S and my brother has a 2003 986. it's been a month since I've had it and I think I've put on maybe 225 miles or so. It's not our daily driver. Drop the top down and drive fairly aggressive and that's when you really feel the beauty of a 987S or any Boxster. I let my Daughter's boyfriend drive the car. He is a BWM guy who used to have a M Coupe and a 335i and also used to be a race car driver for the Star Mazda series. Man did he have a grin on his face. He actually said this made him actually like a Boxster which he didn't before.

The 951s has the balance of a Boxster, power for long straights or freeways. It will be a dog if driven on short straights or city streets. It needs room to stretch it's gears. Once above 3k and on long open freeways this car is a blast. I don't think my 987s will match. This car is rarely driven 1000 miles a year.
What do you think about chassis dynamics? How would you compare communication through the steering and chassis? Which one is the most entertaining at lower speed (my measure of a great sports car)? Which one is the most "raw", tells you what it's doing, mechanically? If you were going to drive down a twisty road that you knew would have traffic, which one would be the most fun to take?

My experience is that older is better, but I've never driven a turbocharged 944 (I really like the NA cars) and I've never driven the 987. From what I've gathered, the 987 is faster and has higher limits, but isn't quite as tactile or mechanically communicative as the 986 or 944.

Last edited by blue2000s; 02-18-2010 at 01:27 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Thanks and yes the looks are lready there. Even from a 911 C4 cab owner. He actually drove next to me to get a better look and gave me a thumbs up. I was shocked.
Don't be so surprised..any real enthusiast appreciates a car like that, no matter what they drive. Plus he is probably a bit jealous of your superior mid-engine handling..
Old 03-12-2010, 06:15 AM   #20

Congrats, great looking car. I noticed the RS60 in a different thread earlier and thought it looked great as well, should get those reflectors off it though and paint the vents, real nice touch.

I don't think you could have gone wrong with either choice, both cars are lights out.

super66 is offline   Reply With Quote