986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Just installed... (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2336-just-installed.html)

Perfectlap 03-22-2005 08:33 AM

how much(%) does it actually reduce throw by?

RavenFan_94 03-22-2005 03:28 PM

Ok, I'm game. Where can one buy the SSK? Nice mods on your car by the way.

Brucelee 03-22-2005 04:09 PM

The SSK kit is a very nice addition to the car. Well worth it mod!

:)

Lux 03-22-2005 04:36 PM

Throw is reduced 30% per B&M. But it feels more like 70%. :D

I got mine from Brandywine Porsche. $199.

-

IceBox 03-22-2005 07:05 PM

What I didn't like about the stock shifter aside from the long soft throws was the hit-or-miss shift between 2nd and 3rd. I don't know if anyone else sees this but I did. And to a degree still do, but not to same extent. This problem was most evident at the track, where one really doesn't want that to happen. I feel confident that this upgrade will go a long way to more positive shifts and an overall better experience come track-day. This is a great addition to the Boxster, and for the money I can't see a better bang for the buck anywhere in the Porsche aftermarket. While it doesn't add HP, it does add feel, and that translates to smoothness, which will see you faster in whatever endevour you and your Box' get up to.
BTW, anyone notice the 'turbo tail'?

Perfectlap 03-22-2005 07:15 PM

30%?
what does that translate into in measureable terms?
is it a reference to distance from gear to gear?
7 inch to 5 inch of travel?

IceBox 03-23-2005 11:57 AM

The reduction exists both as a result of a slightly shorter stick and within the shifting mechanism itself. That's about as clear as I can make it, not possessing an engineering degree. The shifts feel more Miata-like and less BMW-esque. As a former Miata owner, like yourself, I can honestly say you'll love it. Best money I've spent so far on the Box'.

Perfectlap 03-23-2005 01:46 PM

Actually I HATED the notchy shifter in the Miata 5 speed.
although I never drove the 6 speed version in the SE.
During winter that damn shifter was a choppy as an old Flintsone's car.
Changing the redline fluid improved the flow of the shifter but that never
lasted long.
There were countless pages and pages of threads devoted
to the notchy Miata shifter and different experiments with different grades
of Redline fluid and changing the turret oil and boot. Many people were unsatifsfied with the tugging that was required before the gear box got up to temp. But hey what do you expect for small money.

I vastly prefer my Boxster shifter.
It has a more....organic.....feel.
(although the higher gears don't seem so smooth sometimes)

Adam 03-28-2005 08:26 PM

You know what something has been bothering me I wanted to bring it up. Back when I was boxster shopping I test drove an 02 S and one of the things that impressed me most was how smooth the shifter felt. Well, I ended up getting a new 03 instead and one of the first things that I noticed was the shifter was "notchier" and it took more effort to get into the gears. I figured "it's just a break in thing" and didn't think much of it. Well, 10k miles later my shifter still feels notchy and not slick like the 02's. Could the difference in feel be a variations in the production proccess? Is there a way I can make my shifter/tranny smoother like grease the shift cables perhaps? Or am I stuck with what I got? Also, since it is already notchy to me will adding the ssk exaccerbate the feeling or will it perhaps get better somehow by going SSk. I'n any matter I'm not super happy with the shifter feel.

Brucelee 03-29-2005 06:39 AM

In my experience, this notchiness is not confined to a model year but to an individual car. I have had 02s that shift smooth as butter and some that are notchy, so I have to concur it is the car, not the model run.

Have you had the dealer look at it? The clutch cable and shifter linkage in these cars are quite sensative to things like adjustment and lube.

In my experience, a short shifter kit might help or hurt. In my BMW, it was a wonderful change, more effort at first but then easing up quite a bit.

The short shift in a Box would be appreciated I think. I drove one that has the SSK and it was GREAT!

Adam 03-29-2005 07:38 AM

They can do adjustments? Is it involved? I'll take it in there and I'm sure they'll tell me it's fine, but it feels unsmooth compared to the other one I drove.