986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   ATF Fluid for Tips, Good price found & Brand (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/23338-atf-fluid-tips-good-price-found-brand.html)

Jaak 01-14-2010 06:21 AM

ATF Fluid for Tips, Good price found & Brand

Folks, I had recently rebuilt my 2002 S motor and then did the service on my tranny so I would start off fresh, so to say. The fluid was drained and cover removed and we noticed that the fluid was black. We replaced the filter as well as checked all the relays etc., to make sure all was good while we were there. I have to replace an axle seal in springtime, when she comes out of her sleep.

BTW: ODB Code PO740 - solenoid valve torque convertor code means the ATF fluid level is low, So says the manual, tranny shops and personal experience ... code went away when fluid was replaced and filled to correct level ...

We installed a new filter and looked for ATF as the stock was low a friends P-Car shop. Porsche Canada wanted $35.00 a litre (his price) for the fluid which was way too much. He called around various shops and supliers and found an ATF that is Porsche approved and has the same specs as Porsche.

Fluid is made by Fuchs and is called TITAN ATF 3353 and comes in 4 litre jugs. His price was $7.50 a litre CDN which is a far cry from $35 a litre. I bought it at Auto Camp in Toronto who suplies most German manufacturers parts. In some cases a Audi or VW part is 1/10th the cost of the Porsche part (relays etc) and i will use them from now on.

Just wanted to pass this on as a good deal.

Lobo1186 01-14-2010 07:06 AM

thanks for passing along the good word! :cheers:

Jaak 01-14-2010 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobo1186
thanks for passing along the good word! :cheers:

Your welcome!!!!!

Lil bastard 01-14-2010 01:38 PM

This fluid may be Porsche approved, but it is not approved by the tranny manufacturer - ZF Getrieb.

ZF specifically points to issues when using any other fluid than Esso LT 71141. In fact, Esso LT 71141 is the ONLY fluid recommended.

This is readily available in 1 Ltr. size for $16.95 from BavAuto (search under 'Automatic Transmission Fluid') as opposed to Porsche which only sells it in 20 Ltr. containers for $230+. Also, you can almost always find a 10% discount promo code or coupon for Bavauto doing a simple web search.

And, be certain to swap the filter each time the fluid is changed. Porsche says the fluid is 'Lifetime' (it isn't). ZF Getrieb recommends a fluid/filter change at 45k mi. Avoid the messy procedure outlined by Porsche to run the car to heat the fluid to get an accurate fill by pre-heating the fluid. Place the jugs in a pan of hot water until the fluid is properly heated, then fill using a modified Ace Hardware Garden Sprayer (<$20) until it drips back from the fill opening.

Attached is the ZF list of approved oils for the 5HP19FL Tiptronic transmission and it's derivatives.

Do this maintenance religiously, and the tranny will likely outlast the car. Neglect it, and you'll find your wallet considerably lighter.

Cheers!