Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2010, 06:20 AM   #1

Garage
Floor Mats

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding floor mats? Aside from the factory mats ( which I already have a pristine set of ), I am looking for a replacement that is unique and different from the traditional floor mat. Any suggestions ?

Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 06:57 AM   #2

I just got a set of new Lloyds mats for the Turbo. They are very-very nice.

Many Lloyds sellers say you can't have 2 logos....but you can! Lloyds even says you can. You just need to find the right seller. Contact Lloyds directly, and they will give you contact info for people in your area.

What I mean by 2 logos, for example, would be both embroidered words "Porsche" and "Boxster".

Many places only allow one logo.

Lloyds is the only retailer in the USA with the proper licensing agreement with Porsche Corporate.

The mats were pretty expensive. For a 2 piece set (fronts only) with 2 logos total was about $170.

Then I sprayed them with $10 worth of Scotch Guard for carpets!

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 01-04-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Here's a set I use in my car in the winter months. They are MOMO aluminum floor plates that you screw into your mats. They connect by way of 4 small allen screws (so you have to be comfortable with putting holes in your mats). The screw attaches on the underside of the mat with a neat flat receiver, so it won't damage your carpet under the mats in any way. What I found great about these floor plates is that they really increase the life of your mats because you no longer get wear near the heal area where the gas pedal is. I've had these in for years, and there's still no wear on the mats in that pedal area. LOL.

And here's a set I use during the summer months. They are Lloyd's mats with red piping surrounding them, but you can get them in any color. They have Boxster in white stitched into them as well...

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:56 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Here's a set I use in my car in the winter months. They are MOMO aluminum floor plates that you screw into your mats. They connect by way of 4 small allen screws (so you have to be comfortable with putting holes in your mats). The screw attaches on the underside of the mat with a neat flat receiver, so it won't damage your carpet under the mats in any way. What I found great about these floor plates is that they really increase the life of your mats because you no longer get wear near the heal area where the gas pedal is. I've had these in for years, and there's still no wear on the mats in that pedal area. LOL.

And here's a set I use during the summer months. They are Lloyd's mats with red piping surrounding them, but you can get them in any color. They have Boxster in white stitched into them as well...

The red stitching looks great. The problem I have with most of these mats, is that they are almost too nice to use on the regular basis. What about track mats, or something similarly industrial looking ?
Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 AM   #5
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Thx, well, I guess you could go with either the aluminum track mats or diamond plate floor mats, but for me personally, I want some luxury feel, and so would prefer to have some carpeting still in the mats, instead of an all metal flooring.

If you order your mats with yellow piping (your car is yellow, right?) and keep the mat itself black, I think it would look nice, while not really having to worry too much about getting the mats dirty. Black seems to hide dirt pretty well, IMO.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 09:19 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
Thx, well, I guess you could go with either the aluminum track mats or diamond plate floor mats, but for me personally, I want some luxury feel, and so would prefer to have some carpeting still in the mats, instead of an all metal flooring.

If you order your mats with yellow piping (your car is yellow, right?) and keep the mat itself black, I think it would look nice, while not really having to worry too much about getting the mats dirty. Black seems to hide dirt pretty well, IMO.
I have the original set of oem mats that are pristine. Maybe I will just stick with them. Although, I do like the Momo plates.

p.s. You're right about the aluminum diamond plate mats. Those are too cheesy for even Liberace to put in his car !

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 01-04-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #7

Garage
Looking for everyday mats? Try EBay. I've also got the Lloyds mats in back with red "Boxster" and a silver "S", trunk mat also. They look great! I keep them for date nights and PCA events. My everyday mats are OEM and a set of aftermarket junk mats. I treat them like your sister.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:29 PM   #8

I bought a set of Lloyds mat and really thought they would be a great visual upgrade.

I'm pleased with the quality. But as much as I like mine and bought conservative colours (black with silver lettering and black piping) I still find them a little "bold." That cockpit is a pretty small place. Anytime you are sharing that limited real estate with a piece of typography that big it can seem a little heavy.

As is so often the case, I find myself just liking the OEM mats better -- a little more subdued. I'm boring.

Last edited by d18mike; 01-06-2010 at 06:33 PM.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:04 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d18mike
I bought a set of Lloyds mat and really thought they would be a great visual upgrade.

I'm pleased with the quality. But as much as I like mine and bought conservative colours (black with silver lettering and black piping) I still find them a little "bold." That cockpit is a pretty small place. Anytime you are sharing that limited real estate with a piece of typography that big it can seem a little heavy.

As is so often the case, I find myself just liking the OEM mats better -- a little more subdued. I'm boring.
I just bought the same Lloyds mats for my triple black 2002 Boxster. The main difference from the OEM mats is that they are a 'darker' black (or the OEMs faded to dark gray) and the lettering is silver vs. black. I think they look great! A nice upgrade.
Plus 1 for Lloyds.
MN 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 09:42 AM   #10

Lloyds are very high quality and come in standard (32 oz?) and heavy (48 oz) grades. There is also a berber that I have not seen in person.

Anybody seen/touched the berber version??

Comments on it?

BTW: My current and future black mats will not have any lettering.

PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote