986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   The best performance modification that I have made to my Boxster-S to date! (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/23195-best-performance-modification-i-have-made-my-boxster-s-date.html)

kias@tampabay.rr.com 12-30-2009 05:08 AM

The best performance modification that I have made to my Boxster-S to date!

I was researching the web and read the write up on Pedro’s garage about his Techno Torque2. I recall another article that I read earlier this year in one of the European Automobile magazines about the Cayman-S with IPD plenum and sport exhaust upgrade. So after Googling a bit more I found several IPD plenum kits for the 911’s, Boxster (3.4L), and Caymans but not for Boxster 3.2L. So I found the phone number for Mike at IPD, he is the designer/developer and had a good conversation about his 3.2L solution. He eMailed me back with his new 3.2L setup that he recently developed for a customer in England for his 2001 Boxster-S.

This setup includes an upgraded throttle body from 75mm to 80mm and a 3.4L Cayman-S IPD plenum with huge silicon hoses to replace the restricted factory intake hose. I believe it is all about the science of air flow, the bigger throttle body and the large silicon hoses get more air in and then through a larger plenum with Mike’s patented design to get the air flow distributed evenly and quicker to each bank. The result is lots of torque, and you can feel it more than any other modification that you may have made to your car (of course except for putting turbo or super charger kit).

Here are my existing modifications before IPD upgrade:
  • EVO cold air intake
  • Competition headers (not cats)
  • By pass pipes
  • FVD Sport Muffler (the best damn muffler in the market, I had them all before this one; best performance and sound)
  • ECU upgrade
  • PSS9 shocks
The installation was very easy and you can do it within one hour and it is all plug and play. After the install, the first thing you notice that the car will not struggle to rev up from 4000 to 7000 RPM and the power comes fast and it keeps going faster. Before the IPD upgrade, above 4800 RPM, I felt the car was running out of breath. Now it does not. Also, there is more torque than before, you notice this when you shift the gears and the rear of the car deeps more even with my PSS9 suspension. The last piece which was icing on the cake is the improved fuel economy. I am getting 2+ mpg more on the highway with the IPD setup than before. I measure my mpg regularly on the highway. I am planning to dyno the car next week and will post the results.

I have some great pictures for you to see the difference between standard equipment and the IPD setup for 3.2L. If you are interested let me know and I hook you up with Mike at IPD. I am not sure if he has the 3.2L kit distributed to his dealer network yet. There are several distributors that sell IPD gear. You can contact me at kias@tampabay.rr.com.

ChrisZang 12-30-2009 07:26 AM

sounds great
by how much did this set you back (Dollar wise)?

Allen K. Littlefield 12-30-2009 07:29 AM

Interesting

Kias, does it seem to make the additional torque early or later in acceleration? I imagine they have these kits for the 2.7? What is the price?

AKL

blue2000s 12-30-2009 08:39 AM

It would be interesting to see dyno plots before and after with DME adjustment time.

Allen K. Littlefield 12-30-2009 09:40 AM

Torque, high or low?

I recall the extrudahone a number of the 944 guys were interested in awhile back. I believe the consensus was that smoothing out intake and adding a larger throttle body created higher horsepower only at the top end of rpm. May actually cut back on lower rpm torque where it is most needed. Just a thought.

AKL

kias@tampabay.rr.com 12-30-2009 10:05 AM

The power comes smooth from early on, when you step on the throttle it reacts fast. My car is almost 10 years old and I have a heavy foot and it make a big difference.

kias@tampabay.rr.com 12-30-2009 10:16 AM

If you guys want to purchase this, just send an eMail to: sales@roadsportsupply.com

He has kits for 2.7L and 3.2L engines.

JFP in PA 12-30-2009 12:09 PM

Strange how the exact same post (verbatim) appears on several websites on the same day..........

Under different names, but same post with the same pictures..............all promoting the same product...................and suggesting you contact the same email address for more info…………..and yet forgets to mention this plenum costs $900………….

Allen K. Littlefield 12-30-2009 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Strange how the exact same post (verbatim) appears on several websites on the same day..........

Under different names, but same post with the same pictures..............all promoting the same product...................and suggesting you contact the same email address for more info…………..and yet forgets to mention this plenum costs $900………….

Well $900 for a fitting and some hose + a story counts me out unless at some point all of this can be documented but even then $900 is stiff.

Thanks JFP

AKL :cheers:

JAAY 12-30-2009 12:17 PM

Don't even get me started on this crap! Does not work.

JFP in PA 12-30-2009 12:43 PM

I really don’t know if does or does not work, but I do know an attempted “viral marketing campaign” when I see one……………

Johnny Danger 12-30-2009 12:46 PM

I would be hard pressed to believe that IPD's $900.00 gizmo is any more effect than Pedro's TT 2. And for those of us who watched in earnest as Jaay tested that product, the end result left most of us skeptical as to the validity of any after market plenum. In all due respect to Pedro, I believe that he is sincere in his efforts to discover performance upgrades that are feasible for us all. However, in many cases I feel that a vast majority of products out there are nothing more than a case of the "Emperor's New Clothes".

Mike_Yi 12-30-2009 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
I would be hard pressed to believe that IPD's $900.00 gizmo is any more effect than Pedro's TT 2. And for those of us who watched in earnest as Jaay tested that product, the end result left most of us skeptical as to the validity of any after market plenum. In all due respect to Pedro, I believe that he is sincere in his efforts to discover performance upgrades that are feasible for us all. However, in many cases I feel that a vast majority of products out there are nothing more than a case of the "Emperor's New Clothes".

I just stumbled across the TT and TT2 today. I watched the video. At the end I though, "Hmm. That all looks great except for one thing: Air is not being pushed into that T. It's being sucked. So the theory that the air is going to go into the T and hit the back wall, creating turbulence isn't valid. The air is being sucked into each side of the T, so the mod is unnecessary."

On either (Pedro's or this IPD thing) of them, I'd like to see dyno numbers.

JAAY 12-30-2009 01:35 PM

Mike Y do a search for techno torque dyno.

kias@tampabay.rr.com 12-30-2009 02:01 PM

Go to utube and search for IPD and you can see dynos for many Porsche models without turbo. Guys, no one is selling here. Just sharing information. Man this is a tough crowd. I recieved one of Pedro's plenum but did not install it and frankly we are talking about two different quality of products I had them both in my hand last week. Have a Happy New Year and relax.

JFP in PA 12-30-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kias@tampabay.rr.com
Go to utube and search for IPD and you can see dynos for many Porsche models without turbo.

Problem is, the data available comes from individuals or firms with a “vested interest” in seeing the product succeed………. What it needs is independent evaluations by a credible source outside of the product’s marketing chain. To date, I have not seen that, so the plenum remains an “interesting, but unproven concept”…………and a damned expensive one at that………...

JAAY 12-30-2009 02:30 PM

I know that I am just one case of these products but there are other real numbers out there from independents that show that these products actually restrict airflow. The chamber is actually smaller than OE design.

Perfectlap 12-30-2009 03:11 PM

I stopped reading after I read "I haven't dyno'd yet".

btw, 50K miles on my 986S, many autox's and I've never once felt that my car had restrictive anythying. That's why I bought a P-car in the first place!

Bladecutter 12-30-2009 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perfectlap
btw, 50K miles on my 986S, many autox's and I've never once felt that my car had restrictive anything. That's why I bought a P-car in the first place!

Mine has restrictive leg and knee room!
Then again, that's because I'm 6'1" tall. ;)

BC.

Johnny Danger 12-31-2009 07:23 AM

This was a plenum that was manufactured in Spain. It was called the "Techno Toro". Unfortunately, early dyno testing proved it to be very restrictive. :)