Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #1

Rear tires lasted 50k miles and cost $617 to replace

Before I got my Boxster I was terrified that I would have to replace the tires ever 20k as someone on here said. Well today with 50,000 miles on my ‘07 Boxster I finally replaced the rear tires costing $617. They are the Michelin Pilot 17" tires, factory standard equipment. The front tires are sill good to go.
After having this car for 2.5 years, I am pleasantly surprised how inexpensive it is to maintain.

kavlono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavlono
Before I got my Boxster I was terrified that I would have to replace the tires ever 20k as someone on here said. Well today with 50,000 miles on my ‘07 Boxster I finally replaced the rear tires costing $617. They are the Michelin Pilot 17" tires, factory standard equipment. The front tires are sill good to go.
After having this car for 2.5 years, I am pleasantly surprised how inexpensive it is to maintain.

617? I paid that for 4 pilot sports, right in that neighborhood anyway tirerack.com no tax either... is this a dealer job?

Last edited by eightsandaces; 12-22-2009 at 10:55 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 AM   #3

50K!?!?!

I don't know if I have ever had a set of tires last more than a year tops.... :-p

But maybe that has something to do with putting 20K+ a year on cars with sticky tires and race alignments.

But that being said I have done very well with the Sumi's and they are looking like I could actually get 2 solid years out of them. But I think I paid $550 for all four shipped and mounted. Pilots are just over-priced to begin with. I have seen some places other than the dealer asking more than that.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #4

Wow---that's gotta be some kinda record!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 AM   #5

Pilot Sports= underwhelming performance and over priced. Well that pretty much applies to any Michelin tire.

Last edited by Adam; 12-22-2009 at 11:32 AM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavlono
I am pleasantly surprised how inexpensive it is to maintain.
hurry, find some wood!
stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Pilot Sports= underwhelming performance and over priced. Well that pretty much applies to any Michelin tire.

My experience has been the opposite, Michelins on my truck are still round and ride smooth with excellent tread wear. I'd love to know which tire it is you think is the best..

and please don't come back with Sumitomo or Goodyear
Old 12-22-2009, 12:53 PM   #8
JTP

My 2004 GTI came with PilotSports and still using them since new. I have about 35k on the tires (44K on the car) and they are just getting to the wear indicators, and I use the car in a "spirited" driving style. Every Michelin I've had lasted a long time. On my Supra I used Michelins and Yokohamas, which wore out very quickly.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
My experience has been the opposite, Michelins on my truck are still round and ride smooth with excellent tread wear. I'd love to know which tire it is you think is the best..

and please don't come back with Sumitomo or Goodyear
I was referring to high performance street tires for cars. I don't own a truck and I don't know jack about tires for them. If we're talking car tires, the Pilot Sport 2 is currently Michelins best street tire offering and it's been out on the market for more than a few years now. Bridgestone Re-11, Yokohama AD08, Kumho XS, Hankook RS3, and Dunlop Star Specs all runs circles around PS2's at any autocross or track event and they all cost less, some a lot less. None of the fast guys run PS2's at these type of auto events because they are slower and more expensive than the competition. Michelin needs to up their game if they want to compete with the new crop of aggressive street tires. Michelin has fallen so far out of touch with hardcore enthusiasts and weekend racers nobody uses their stuff. And don't even get me started on R-comp tires. Pilot cups just plain suck compared to what else is out there.

Last edited by Adam; 12-22-2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #10

I did get them at the dealer i bought the car from. am very happy with their service. i am also happy with the tires. i never race the car and use it as a daily dirver putting 20k miles on it a year.
kavlono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 09:11 PM   #11

Good job. I can barely get 20k out of my BfGoodrich G-Force sports. Cheap and prety sticky tires for a first 10k, but after that - it is power slides time.
Had same problem in my 928, tires were toast after 15-20 k.
Old 12-23-2009, 03:31 AM   #12

50k ...

...means you are not driving hard enough. Look out! The sports car police are coming to repossess your car
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 04:02 AM   #13

Adam, good list, I'm shopping for the old car and thinking about Kumho or Hanhook as the rim size is so limited the choices are few. I still think Michelin makes a good product...
Old 12-23-2009, 04:29 AM   #14

I need to put new rear shoes on my 18 inch Carrera lights after about 10k, but I did a DE a while back.

I'm going with Hankooks this time around when I find the cash. My PS2's have been excellent performing and quiet tires throughout their life, but I just don't have $1250 for a new set.

My buddy (Houston_CS4) who burns through three sets of tires on his 07S every year swears by the Hankooks as being just as good as the PS2s or better and they're half the price.

We will see.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 05:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I need to put new rear shoes on my 18 inch Carrera lights after about 10k, but I did a DE a while back.

I'm going with Hankooks this time around when I find the cash. My PS2's have been excellent performing and quiet tires throughout their life, but I just don't have $1250 for a new set.

My buddy (Houston_CS4) who burns through three sets of tires on his 07S every year swears by the Hankooks as being just as good as the PS2s or better and they're half the price.

We will see.
Randall, check into the new RS3 Hankooks. They are getting great reviews and doing very well at DE's and auto-x. Only problem is sizes are limited right now and they have less than 10 sizes available. They make a 265/35/18 for the back but up front the closest I found was 245/40/18! I don't think that will fly so hopefully they will make a 235/40/18 or 225/40/18 soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Adam, good list, I'm shopping for the old car and thinking about Kumho or Hanhook as the rim size is so limited the choices are few. I still think Michelin makes a good product...
I switched from PS2's to the Kuhmo XS and my auto-x times dropped by at least a full second and I saved about $500. I'm sure Michelin makes good tires, but just not for what I need them for.

Last edited by Adam; 12-23-2009 at 05:35 AM.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:39 AM   #16

Quote:
I disagree, at least for street and autocross (not track). I really like the Pilot Sport PS2's on the boxster, (we also point out the Pilot Sports are not that same as the Pilot Sport PS2). The last three sets of rear tiers I bought have been right around 225$ per tire.

I recently put AD08 on the BMW to try something new, we'll see how they do next month when we start the new autocross season. I have heard great things about the Star-Specs too.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #17
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
I disagree, at least for street and autocross (not track). I really like the Pilot Sport PS2's on the boxster, (we also point out the Pilot Sports are not that same as the Pilot Sport PS2). The last three sets of rear tiers I bought have been right around 225$ per tire.
+1 on this. I ran off 2 sets of PS2s and they were a very good all around tire, street or track. They are still pretty expensive though. My street wheels currently run Sumitomos and they are a good street tire at 1/2 the price of PS2s. They do tend to overheat quickly when pushed at the track though. My track wheels are running Nitto NT-01s and with 30 heat cycles in they are marvelous.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:40 AM   #18

Garage
Quote:
Randall, check into the new RS3 Hankooks. They are getting great reviews and doing very well at DE's and auto-x. Only problem is sizes are limited right now and they have less than 10 sizes available. They make a 265/35/18 for the back but up front the closest I found was 245/40/18! I don't think that will fly so hopefully they will make a 235/40/18 or 225/40/18 soon.

I switched from PS2's to the Kuhmo XS and my auto-x times dropped by at least a full second and I saved about $500. I'm sure Michelin makes good tires, but just not for what I need them for.
-------------

I put Kumho XS tires on my track rims to replace a set of old PS2's used for the same purpose and have to say that strictly for auto-X and track use, the XS is a better tire.

Having said that, I think the PS2's mission is to provide a much broader range of superior performance than an XS type tire --wet performance, ride quality, noise. All the stuff that is important when you're not on the track, day after day. In that role, it does a very good job, albeit at a premium price.

When my street set was due for replacement I went with the GY F1 Asymmetrical, which when judged by the seat of the pants, is very close top what the PS2 feels like at about 2/3 the price. Not sure if I'll get 20K for the GY's but suspect it will be close.

Last edited by MikenOH; 12-23-2009 at 06:42 AM.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:00 AM   #19

Falken 912's

I just replaced the Kumho's with a set of Falken 912's. Since I live in Florida, I have no worry's over snow fall. I wanted a tire that had a nice quite ride and good dry/wet driving for Florida weather. Hence, this tire has me my expectations. Sticks real good to hot payment and handles just as well in a good rain. All Floridians share one fear...we call it "oil slick roads." We go for a good dry spell and then get scattered showers, thus the oil and water make it slick to drive on. I feel very safe with these tires.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 07:05 AM   #20

MIchelin Pilots

lasted nearly 50,000 miles on my Touareg. They replaced the original Continentals which wore out after 17,000 miles.

ehanauer is offline   Reply With Quote