Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2005, 08:11 AM   #1

My boxster stalls...dirty filters again??

Hi,
I was looking on some info on my boxster when I found this site.Exactly a year ago,my car will sometime stall when stoped at a light or stop.Problem was fixed by changing air and gaz filters.No probelm since until a few days ago.The car stalled 2 times within 15 minutes(restarts right away).Can it be the filters again??I fine it a bit too soon for faulty filters.There is no CE light on .When it stalls is like if I just turn my key off.Drove the car yesterday and today just fine,no stalling.I live far from any dealer and will appreciate any comments.Thanks.

I have a tiptronic 1999 boxster with 23000 miles
Mass air sensor was changes few month ago.

Dave_Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 08:19 AM   #2

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Box
Hi,
I was looking on some info on my boxster when I found this site.Exactly a year ago,my car will sometime stall when stoped at a light or stop.Problem was fixed by changing air and gaz filters.No probelm since until a few days ago.The car stalled 2 times within 15 minutes(restarts right away).Can it be the filters again??I fine it a bit too soon for faulty filters.There is no CE light on .When it stalls is like if I just turn my key off.Drove the car yesterday and today just fine,no stalling.I live far from any dealer and will appreciate any comments.Thanks.

I have a tiptronic 1999 boxster with 23000 miles
Mass air sensor was changes few month ago.

Yes, it could be the filters but others things could apply. You may have dirty gas, clogged injectors etc. The air filter is something you could likely change yourself and one year is certainly time to put in another. I am not clear where the fuel filter is.

I often find that Chevron fuel injector cleaner works wonders on cars that stall. Here is CA, we have terrible gas and this is persisent problem with many of my cars.

Good luck!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2005, 10:19 AM   #3

Thanks for the help bruce.I will see if this will fix the problem.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:07 AM   #4

Does it tend to stall when you are first starting to drive the car, or after the engine has warmed up for awhile. Also, what area do you live in, is it very dusty? Yes it could be the filter, and it is time to replace it if it has been a year, but for the car to act like that after just one year would mean a fairly dirty filter. I would replace it anyways, but I doubt that is the problem. One more question, even if it does not stall, do the RPMs drop lower than expected when idling, or fluctuate at all?
porscheguy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:10 PM   #5

Hi,
I live in montreal Canada.I take it out once in a while in winter when there is no snow.It is pretty dusty sometime in this city.And to answer your question (porscheguy05).I had not seen the RPM go lower than normal.It just dies completely without warning.Last year before I fixed the problem ,on the highway I can sometime feel a samll jerk RPM goes down than back to normal.But only stalls on a complete stop.
Thanks for your help.
Old 03-18-2005, 05:14 PM   #6

The last time it happened was after I got off the highway after a 20 mins drive.The engine should be pretty warm by then.