Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2009, 12:40 PM   #1

Codes 1128 - 1130 on 2002 boxter

I have changed the airmass sensor, and the first two oxygen sensors comming from the engine and I still have these 1128 and 1130 codes. I could be a vacumm leack but from where??? did anybody have solve problems with these codes before???

tony0214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:00 PM   #2

Aos should solve the problem.. Same codes I had and now are history...
mikes_box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 06:13 AM   #3

1128 1130 codes on boxter 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes_box
Aos should solve the problem.. Same codes I had and now are history...
shouldn't the car smoke through the exaust when Air/Oil separator is bad, and would this part make the car loose power???
Old 12-22-2009, 07:52 AM   #4

Try removing the oil filler cap in the trunk with the engine running. If it is difficult to remove and/or makes a sucking sound - you probably have a failing AOS.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by yimmy149
Try removing the oil filler cap in the trunk with the engine running. If it is difficult to remove and/or makes a sucking sound - you probably have a failing AOS.

-james
thanks i'll try that
Old 12-22-2009, 04:42 PM   #6

I have the same codes, starting the shotgun method. First looked/listened for obvious leaks. Cleaned the maf sensor. Did not know about the oil cap sucking method, but ordered an aos and tube from Sunset, yet to receive. But I'll let you know what works if I ever find it. The durametric thing works fine, but since I don't know what normal is I don't know what to look for and if it would even help.
robmints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 08:18 PM   #7

How long does sucking air from the oil cap until total AOS failure? I've notice my 2000 w/68K mile sucking oil but no indication or smoke from tail pipe(yet). I did notice an O2 Sensor code 4-6 times during the last 10K mile. It would come on for a couple minutes to a day then off for 2-6K mile without ever coming on again. I've own the car for over two years now and had the O2 light problem when I bought it.

I feel I had this problem (O2/failing AOS) since I own the car and have been driving with a failing AOS for that last 10K/3yrs. Could I have been lucky with a failing AOS what hasn't gotten bad yet or could I have a different problem?
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM   #8

p1128/1130

okay guys, i need some help/recommendations. i was driving my car today and my check engine light came on. i went to autozone to check it out and sure enough codes 1128/1130. i remember a few months ago, i felt my engine nearly stall at idle, so i cleaned the maf. at the time, there was no CEL's to report. when i looked at my maf, i did not a small crack on the plastic rim. however, again, since there was no CEL, i just put it back in and played the "wait and see" game. well now, time finally came up. so when i got these cels today, i just assumed it would be the maf. but now that i'm reading in here about these codes, i wonder if it's the AOS. i tried the suction trick with the oil cap and sure enough, it was difficult to open. also, i did note recently that there was white smoke at startup. i honestly didn't think anything of it because i remember reading on here that that is somewhat normal. so now i wonder if it's the maf or aos or both. any suggestions? would a good cleaning of the maf, clear the cel's again? is it even safe to drive? i'm out of town this week, but was planning on returning next weekend and taking the boxster on another road trip. advise please. thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:39 PM   #9

Garage
Replace your AOS as soon as you can. Eventually oil getting on the O2 sensors will damage them.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 01:05 AM   #10

thanks jager, so you think it is definitely the aos? if so, how much is it to replace? should i go with indy or stealership? thanks for any advice.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuanle16
thanks jager, so you think it is definitely the aos? if so, how much is it to replace? should i go with indy or stealership? thanks for any advice.
The AOS itself it ~$120. I did it myself (first real DIY repair for me). It was a bit difficult, but certainly doable. Any shop is probably going to want 2-3 hours at least.
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #12

Garage
Yes I think it's your AOS. There is some information at Pelican Parts [url]http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/Boxster_Tech/09-ENGINE-Air_Oil_Separator/09-ENGINE-Air_Oil_Separator.htm[url] that will help you with this task. It took me about three hours to replace the AOS. You will need to remove the engine cover and lift the car because you will need to get above and below the motor to replace the AOS. It will also help to remove the rear wheel on the passenger side. Have patience, take your time, and enjoy the accomplishment of taking care of your car.

300K Mile Club
Jager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:01 PM   #13

thanks jager. so i guess i shouldn't even bother with the maf? just go straight to the aos and replace it.