Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2009, 03:18 PM   #1

HELP Window/Locks/Alarm do not work

My car is a 97 Boxster, as new, with only 22000 miles. Today the power windows, power door locks and alarm system quit working. I opened the driver's side door with the key, but the interior light does not come on, the windows do not work, etc. All the fuses are fine,at least all I can see on the main fuse panel on the driver's side. Thanks for the help. jackc@fpcmiamibeach.com

jchboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #2

Check for water under the seats, you may have a drain plugged up. You can check your convertible top drains by opening the top 4" and looking under the clamshell cover.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #3

yimmy149

yimmy149, please explain. Is there a module for the alarm/windows and locks located under the seats? Which side?
Thanks, Jack.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #4

I checked under the seats and it is completely dry. There is no water or signs of it.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:18 PM   #5

Computer

The computer generally is under the drivers seat and can cause the problem you are having and that is a $1200 repair. The other is the ignition switch which is a cheap DIY repair and also causes funny electrical things to happen. You should buy a INNOVA 3100 OBD2 reader and see what codes come up. You can get them at Walmart for under a $100 or off ebay for half that. JB
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:39 PM   #6

Electrical Problems

I checked it with a scanner, no codes stored. The car starts and runs perfect, but the power windows, locks, trunk release, and interior lights do not work. I would appreciate any expert advise. Thanks.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:54 AM   #7

Electrical Problems Take Time To Track

Electrical problems do take time to track down so take your time. I bet the main culprit still could be the computer under the drivers seat. The remote want open the car, the alarm will not work is a sure sign that comes from this unit when it fails. Since your are in South Florida contact Pedro at Pedro's Garage for expert help. Or the guys at RennTech.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote