986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Do I need all the options? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/2309-do-i-need-all-options.html)

longislander1 03-16-2005 03:47 AM

Do I need all the options?

I'm looking at a new Boxster S, but I want to keep the price under $60K. As you know, the options can mount up quickly. I'd be happy with just the standard leather, Bose/windstop and navigation. Am I missing anything by not getting the xenon headlights, power seats or automatic climate control? (The brochure lists the climate control as standard, but the "build your Porsche" function shows it as a $550 option.) I've managed to do without these kinds of options on my 968, but one reason I'm now in the market is that I'd like something a little less primitive. Any thoughts? Thanks.

dgwhitten 03-16-2005 04:26 AM

I am awaiting arrival of my S. It is priced at ~$65K or so. If you are looking to keep yours under $60K, I'd question the need for the nav system. Seems like a toy to me. Ask yourself how often you really need it vs. looking at a map? The preferred pkg (PPA) is a reasonable upgrade, i.e., self-dim mirrors (which I find wonderful on my current G35 coupe), Bose, heated seats (again, a godsent even here in Nashville). This is $2190 upgrade but includes the Bose.

RandallNeighbour 03-16-2005 10:29 AM

I say get the auto climate control and litronics as both are excellent for resale... I would not buy your car from you in 4 years if it didn't have these because lots of others for the same price WILL have them. Plus, you get to enjoy these things while you own the car. Considering resale value is important. Of course, you may not get your money back on these options when it comes time to sell, but it could easily make the difference between a car you can't sell easily and one you sell the first weekend you advertise it.

Power seats are a waste of money IMO. I wish I didn't have them in my '97 because they burn out and give you problems. NAV is so cool in the interior of the 987, but you'll probably never use it unless you purchased the car to drive long distances that you have never been to before... that's the genius of the NAV system in any car. If we lived in Europe I'd say it would be nearly mandatory, but not in the USA unless the car was purchased to drive across country at least a couple of times to justify the expense.

YellowJacket 03-16-2005 11:03 AM

agreed. forget the nav and power seats, but don't miss out on the auto. climate control. climate control is one of the nicest features i've ever had in a car!

rpspa 03-16-2005 11:25 AM

climate control

I am always changing the temp. on my auto climate control. I'm cold in the AM warm in the afternoon etc. I consider auto climate control a BIG waste of money. Prioritize what you want. List the options with their cost and see which ones work out for 60K.
I understand that options like NAV are really cool technology and would be fun not practical.
Dream on and make the car reflect you.

longislander1 03-16-2005 11:55 AM

Thesae are all really good thoughts. I'm glad I asked. Thanks again for all the input.

RandallNeighbour 03-16-2005 01:11 PM

Be thankful I didn't flame you for posting this question in the first place! :)

I want an '05 so bad I can taste it, but I simply refuse to buy a new car and borrow money to get it. This violates two of my top financial "life-principles." If I can't afford to pay cash for the used vehicle, I cannot have it. Period.

You go get yourself one though... you lucky dog. :cheers:

graybeard 03-16-2005 01:37 PM

I ordered a 987S 4 weeks ago with ful leather, heated seats, Bose with wind stop, climate control, self dimming mirrors/rain sensor, mats, crested seats, xenon lamps, nav system, and a clear bra on the nose, including destanation charges my price is just under the 60k you mentioned at 59,400. The dealer I bought from is about 100 miles from you, if you would like to talk with him send me an email. A new car can be serviced anyhere ! I for one need to buy what I truely want or don't buy at all, there seems to be something missing oherwise. Good Luck.

PeterJoyce 03-16-2005 01:55 PM

Get navigation, xenon, climate control, and windstop. Thats it! Power seats are a hassle, I have power seats in my other two cars, and they are just a hassle! Think about how long it takes to slide the seat forward and backwards, when you could just grab a handle and move. The xenon's turn night into day, and look really neat!

phrankandbeanz 03-16-2005 02:09 PM

the must haves for me is the litronics, windstop, auto climate and hi fidelity stereo. If I have some money to spare, I probably will think about the small carbon fiber package.

Pilot2519j 03-16-2005 05:04 PM

Options

Must have:
Lights, nice radio, heated seats, leather interior, 19" tires, cruise control, trip computer, winter tires with alloys, psm
Second tier:
Navigation radio, interior ginger finishes, sports chrono, handling packages

dennizxxx 03-17-2005 06:21 AM

Since you are in NY...

HEATED SEATS ARE A MUST...trust me...you will regret it later if you do not get it...

PeterJoyce 03-17-2005 12:44 PM

If it is going to be an everyday car, then yeah I would think about getting heatled seats. But I forgot to say, larger tires are pretty important. Have you seen the standard 17" wheels? The tires are so tall! About 245/(45-50)/17!

gcb 12-10-2007 02:59 PM

Deciding on options

I have auto climate control on my 03 Boxster S and have rarely if ever used it. Especially with the top down most of the time, it doesn't make sense to use... I find the automatic position blows too strongly anyways.. I find myself usually just setting the fan speed/temp to my own liking.

also.. Power Seats a must!... I had said if I ever ordered another Porsche it had to have Lumbar support... standard seats have awful low back support.
I almost went with the Navigation system too, but it was so awful and sales staff couldn't even figure some of it out. A whole lot of knob spinning and time to imput. Really primitive.... I could think of a lot better options to get with the $3k it saved me.
Regarding sports chrono.... i test drove the heck out of one and really could not tell any significant difference.. it was 'subtle' at best... not worth the $1k they wanted...that and the nasty looking useless stop watch on the dash...

I ordered Meteor Grey.. almost went with Slate, but they were pretty darn close and for over $3k more it wasn't that much difference... better yet.. I put it into full leather and leather sport steering wheel! Can't wait till Feb. '08 to get!!
Here are my options:

Meteor Grey
Blck top and interior
19" Carrera S Wheel
Wheel Caps with Crest
Power Seat Package (Lumbar control A MUST!)
Full leather
Smooth leather sport steering wheel
Heated Seats (always using these)
Floor Mats
Winstop/Deflector
Roll Bar Painted Exterior Color
Exterior Package Exterior Color (Side vents and Front Vents)
Bose Surround
Bi-Xenon Lights

saaber 12-10-2007 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by longislander1
I'm looking at a new Boxster S, but I want to keep the price under $60K. As you know, the options can mount up quickly. I'd be happy with just the standard leather, Bose/windstop and navigation. Am I missing anything by not getting the xenon headlights, power seats or automatic climate control? (The brochure lists the climate control as standard, but the "build your Porsche" function shows it as a $550 option.) I've managed to do without these kinds of options on my 968, but one reason I'm now in the market is that I'd like something a little less primitive. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Have you considered a 1 or 2 year old car that is really loaded up with options? Avoid depreciation hit and get all the toys you want for your target price or probably less. Just an idea. I don't know how much boxsters drop the first year but for some cars it can be a ridiculous amount, 20-28%!

racer_d 12-10-2007 04:30 PM

Has anyone considered this thread started in 2005 ? ? ?

baseball 12-10-2007 05:01 PM

lol... who raised this one from the dead :D

pteam 12-11-2007 09:15 AM

Heated seats and Xenons are a must! You can definately skip on the full leather and save thousands. Why the hell is xenon not standard yet in a 2008 porsche????