Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #1

Garage
applying vinyls

So i got some ORACAL vinyls but i dont know how to use it... a little bit near sighted on my part does anyone have any tricks to the trade or instructions

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 01:11 PM   #2

Is that like a whole car kit? It didn't come with any instructions?

If it's anything like the invisible bra stuff, you use a very watered down soap solution to let the material slide on the car, then stretch it to fit the curves of the car. Then use a rubber wiper to squeegee out the solution, and it will stick.

I think I remember seeing a show where they applied a full wrap to a van, and they used a hair drying to help stretch the material. If you kept the hairdryer in one spot, it would also shrink the material back to it's original size.

Oh, and I'd highly recommend using a clay bar on the paint unless it's a brand new car. I didn't and the material would not glide over the paint.

-james

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon

Last edited by yimmy149; 12-11-2009 at 01:13 PM.
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 03:50 PM   #3

Garage
no its just for my rear lights. but i have clay barred the whole thing recently.
Old 12-11-2009, 04:07 PM   #4

There is some good and simple instructions here:

http://www.customvinylgraphics.com/applying-vinyl-graphics.aspx :
Quote:
Surface temperatures should be between 50 and 90 degrees Fahrenheit before attempting the installation. As a general rule, if the surface is hot to the touch it's over 90 degrees Fahrenheit. Adhesive becomes brittle when it gets too cold and gummy when it gets too hot. Applications outside the recommended range of 50 to 90 degrees Fahrenheit reduce the adhesives' ability to perform.

Application Procedures: You can choose to apply vinyl in one of two ways; dry or wet. Applying vinyl graphics dry does not allow for any mistakes. Once the vinyl touches the surface, there is no removal without damage.

However, applying vinyl graphics with application spray (soapy water) allows you the opportunity to remove and reposition vinyl as needed for up to several minutes. For obvious reasons, this method is recommended for both beginners and experts. To apply using the application spray, spray the surface thoroughly. Then lay the vinyl on a flat surface and spray the adhesive side as you remove the backing. An extra set of hands is a good idea. Then simply apply the vinyl to the surface.

Do not excessively stretch vinyl during the application. Because vinyl is a pressure-sensitive product, a squeegee should be used for all installations. The purpose of using a squeegee is to remove the excess fluid and or air from behind the vinyl. You should always start the squeegee from the middle and either use a straight up or down motion. Allow the vinyl to set for 5 to 15 minutes.

When removing the application tape, always pull it slowly, back onto itself, at a 180-degree angle. Bubbles should be punctured using a pin. Do not slit the vinyl to release the air. If the vinyl is slit it will spread or gap. The cutting or trimming of any stripe or graphic should be done using a very sharp knife and very little pressure.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #5

Garage
thanks ill let yall know how it goes. its only a preliminary thing so im not too concerned about perfection this one is just batting practice if you will.