Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2009, 09:48 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Seriously, that bothers you? I think 99% of Americans pronounce it Porsh so you really must be bothered on a pretty regular basis.
I really don't hear people call it a "porsh" very often. But then I rarely leave the city.

roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #22

Garage
ya i hear porsch(silent e) all the time. but ive also heard some people from some regions of the US call it NIKE (long I silent E) which is interesting. but at the end of the day every languange butchers words from the another one so its all good.
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:33 PM   #23
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
When I met Peter Porsche for the first time, he said: "Hi, I'm Peter Por sha." Then he autographed the inside of my hood.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
When I met Peter Porsche for the first time, he said: "Hi, I'm Peter Por sha." Then he autographed the inside of my hood.

Outstanding!
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 02:02 AM   #25

Well as English born and bred I guess I am qualified to have a opinion, here in UK again the masses would call it 'Porsh' while those in the know would probably call it by the correct pronunciation 'Porsh-ah' but to be honest calling it Porsh-ah makes you sound like some kind of upper class twit, and we incredibly still have a bit of a class thing going on here in Britain!!!
I am a owner but will always call it 'Porsh'
pimp my box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 04:18 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo1186
ya i hear porsch(silent e) all the time. but ive also heard some people from some regions of the US call it NIKE (long I silent E) which is interesting. but at the end of the day every languange butchers words from the another one so its all good.
Chevrolet
US = chev-ro-lay
France = chev-ro-let

Moet y chandon
US=mo-ey
France= mo-et

Filet Mignon
US = fil-eh
France = feel - eh
UK = filit

Porsche
GMBH = pour - sha
US = porsch

Don't feel bad in other countries the slaughter english all the time, probably the most annoying is in Greece where they are convinced that a silent "e" is actually pronounced as "uh" followed by an ackward pause.
landrovered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 06:52 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Chevrolet
US = chev-ro-lay
France = chev-ro-let

Moet y chandon
US=mo-ey
France= mo-et

Filet Mignon
US = fil-eh
France = feel - eh
UK = filit

Porsche
GMBH = pour - sha
US = porsch

Don't feel bad in other countries the slaughter english all the time, probably the most annoying is in Greece where they are convinced that a silent "e" is actually pronounced as "uh" followed by an ackward pause.

I'm Sorry, but I don't know where you got your information from!
I don't know of anywhere where Moet isn't pronounced anything but 'mo-ey', a 'Filet -o-fish' or 'Filet Mignon' will always be pronounced 'Fil-ay' because it's a name. A Fillet (pronounced Fil-et) would be used to describe a cut of meat or the noun - 'to fillet'.

I'm in the 'Porscha' depending on my mood
Gary H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:18 AM   #28

This topic has spread to boxa.net in the UK:

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=42657&hl=

According to that thread [and pimpmythread here] most of the UK guys prefer "Porsh," to avoid seeming snooty. This thread suggests that in the US "Por-sha" is preferred.

Note the reference to "pretentious Americans"
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:31 AM   #29

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
I'm Sorry, but I don't know where you got your information from!
I don't know of anywhere where Moet isn't pronounced anything but 'mo-ey', a 'Filet -o-fish' or 'Filet Mignon' will always be pronounced 'Fil-ay' because it's a name. A Fillet (pronounced Fil-et) would be used to describe a cut of meat or the noun - 'to fillet'.

I'm in the 'Porscha' depending on my mood
Ahem....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mo%C3%ABt_et_Chandon

"Moët et Chandon (French pronunciation: [moɛte ʃɑ̃ɔ̃]"

Follow up post:

Gordon Ramsey pronouncing filet mignon... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfM_7uwH_Jw

By the way "to filet" is a verb not a noun.

Ok, I think I have made my point.

Last edited by landrovered; 12-16-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #30

You have. Wikipedia is always right
Old 12-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gougoushu
This topic has spread to boxa.net in the UK:

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=42657&hl=

According to that thread [and pimpmythread here] most of the UK guys prefer "Porsh," to avoid seeming snooty. This thread suggests that in the US "Por-sha" is preferred.

Note the reference to "pretentious Americans"
I wouldn't take anything too seriously there...the Forum is called "Boxa" after all

I don't get the whole inverted snobbery thing - it's pronounced 'PORSH-A" so why try and dumb it down? Why is it considered "Snooty" to pronounce something correctly?
Old 12-16-2009, 01:23 PM   #32

We colonists do carry an air of superiority, don't we? I've no idea why that exists. We certainly have no room to gloat about anything these days if you ask me. :ah:
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #33

Garage
I am 47 years old and in all my days I only know of one woman named Portia, (you know the hot blond actress from Aly McBeal).

How unbelievably pretentious that makes us as a nation.

I will say this though after spending years on the UK Land Rover boards, nobody can prison rape the english language like a Brit. Wot you say? You heard me.

Septic = Septic tank = Yank = American

Defense rests...
Old 12-17-2009, 05:11 AM   #34

And all this time I thought your name for us "Yanks" was an abbreviation for yankee... not septic tank!

So where did we get Limey from? (No offense meant, by the way!)
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 05:20 AM   #35

Wasn't that something to do with Sailors eating Limes to prevent some sort of vitamin-deficient disease...'Scurvy' when sailing?
Old 12-17-2009, 05:22 AM   #36

Garage
I used to live in the UK and still go there quite often on business. I am an anglophile at heart, I love the people and the country but get annoyed with them sometimes.

Septic is an example of Cockney Rhyming Slang, I was frequently refered to as a "septic" on the LRO board.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary H
I wouldn't take anything too seriously there...the Forum is called "Boxa" after all

I don't get the whole inverted snobbery thing - it's pronounced 'PORSH-A" so why try and dumb it down? Why is it considered "Snooty" to pronounce something correctly?

hahahaha ... agreed. The only reasonable explanation I've seen for deliberate mispronunciation is wanted to avoid sounding anything like Jeremy Clarkson, the guy who plays the "odious Brit" character [also featured on A. Idol and Hells Kitchen shows] on Top Gear.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #38

I'm surprised nobody has brought up how the narrator says "Porsche" in the Porsche commercials. While regional nuances will always be in play with nearly any language, if there is a correct and incorrect way to say it, I'd hope they would get it right (according to Porsche, as a manufacturer) in their ads.
ryanpw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:24 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanpw3
I'm surprised nobody has brought up how the narrator says "Porsche" in the Porsche commercials. While regional nuances will always be in play with nearly any language, if there is a correct and incorrect way to say it, I'd hope they would get it right (according to Porsche, as a manufacturer) in their ads.
Yeah even the Porsche commercial guy says pooorsh in slighty southern twang. Just listen very closely next time they air one.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #40
Bry

I'm in the "Porsch-ah " group. I've found that, if a stranger approaches you with questions about your "porsh" and you are friendly and enthusiastic, but subtlely corrective, they will change the way they say it... at least for that conversation.
Example: (Random encounter late this summer, filling up at a gas station near my office; heavily paraphrased)
Me:
Guy: "excuse me - is that your Porsch? is it fast? How much $$$ is a Porsh"
Me: standard answers... working in the correct pronunciation; something like "...Actually, you can pick up a Porsch-ah used for a whole lot less than you might think..."
Guy: "cool, I'll check out porsch-ah's on Ebay"

I think it's kind of amusing how many people will adjust their pronunciation to match mine; I've almost made it a game.

Then again, I've also used "Porsh" at PCA events just to see what sort of reactions I get, so maybe I'm just a troublemaker...

Bry is offline   Reply With Quote