986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Any suggestions on an Amplifier? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/23025-any-suggestions-amplifier.html)

BeachBum 12-09-2009 06:11 PM

Any suggestions on an Amplifier?

I am taking the next step up from my CDR 23 and getting the Pioneer Avic x710BT, but apparently I need an amplifier in order to install this. I know very little about car audio installation, so does anyone have any suggestions on what to buy? I am looking at the crutchfield website and there seems to be alot of options. I am planning on buying the ebay kit, but is there anything else I will need to install this nav system? I give it a whirl myself as it seems there is alot of information out there.

Thanks

ChrisZang 12-09-2009 07:50 PM

Actually it depends

So your big problem is that the 2003 has the optical (MOST) bus.
It will be hard to find an amp for that.

How many speakers do you have in your box 4 or 6?
If you have no rear speakers you could drive the two dash and two door speakers directly from the Pioneer unit (I have a 700 BT and drive 4 speakers with it and it works fine). However you will need to find the cables which lead to your speakers and connect them directly to your Pioneer.

I have the kit from treullionaire (I guess that's the eBay kit you're talking about) and
it's worth every penny.

ChrisZang 12-09-2009 07:54 PM

Ooops I just saw in your signature that you have the BOSE.
Here are the instructions you need:
http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=20442&st=0&p=105137&

mts 12-10-2009 03:37 AM

I used the Alpine PDX-5 with my MOST BUS car.

PlayersExpress 12-10-2009 03:46 AM

I second the Alpine PDX amps. I have an Alipine PDX-4 150 in my 97. It is fantastic and very small!

BeachBum 12-10-2009 08:49 AM

thanks for the replies. Any other suggestions? I know this is a stupid question, but why do I need an amplifier to begin with? With the Bose system, do I need a 2 or 4 channel?

mts 12-10-2009 09:19 AM

If you have the sub as well you'll need a 5 channel to have direct connections.

demick 12-10-2009 07:25 PM

I did a survey about a year ago of compact 5-channel amps that would fit in the approximate space of the stock amplifier. I came up with 3 good options:
Alpine PDX-5
Infiinty Kappa Five
Blaupunkt THA 555 PNP

All good choices I think. I ended up with the Blaupunkt for cost and availability reasons.

BeachBum 12-15-2009 08:13 AM

I know this sounds stupid, but I'm not sure if I have a subwoofer. I had the Bose upgrade when I bought it, but don't know about what is included. I have speakers on the doors that have the Bose logo and another Bose component in between the seats right below the wind guard. You can only see it if you turn around and look. Does this sound like a 5 channel set up? Also, would the pdx-5 amplifier with the avic x710BT be compatiblem with the Bose upgrade?

urban_legend 12-15-2009 03:10 PM

Alpine PDX

Yes, good choice, they also have a baby-PDX now that will work simply with an alpine head unit...lower cost and probably a much simpler install

mts 12-18-2009 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeachBum
I know this sounds stupid, but I'm not sure if I have a subwoofer. I had the Bose upgrade when I bought it, but don't know about what is included. I have speakers on the doors that have the Bose logo and another Bose component in between the seats right below the wind guard. You can only see it if you turn around and look. Does this sound like a 5 channel set up? Also, would the pdx-5 amplifier with the avic x710BT be compatiblem with the Bose upgrade?

You do have the sub, it's the one below the wind guard.

BeachBum 12-18-2009 11:11 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have the pdx-5 ordered. I am hoping that I can connect this to the Bose system. Has anyone successfully done this before?

mts 12-19-2009 03:36 AM

Yes, it's same amp and system I have.