Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #1

I'm up for 60K maintenance and a bunch of problems

My car recently turned over 60K. I notice a clicking noise in my front end when I make a sharp turn. Doesn't happen all the time but, more often than not. What could this noise be?

When is an appropriate time to change the fuel pump? I was told by someone that if your fuel pump makes noise, you should replace it. When I start my car, there is a buzzing noise for about 5 seconds and then it quits. Does that mean it's on its way out?

When should I change the struts, certain number of miles or what? Rough terrain makes the ride jarring at times and something in the suspension rattles. What could be making this rattle, shock mount bushings?

Also, the ignition switch used to make a solid clicking noise when I pull the key out, I've noticed within the past week that it doesn't do this anymore. Is this a tell tale sign that it's on its way out and I should replace it?

Thanks for the help!

yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
I notice a clicking noise in my front end when I make a sharp turn. Doesn't happen all the time but, more often than not. What could this noise be? Probably the disc below the strut mount, it has ball bearings to allow the hat to stay stationary while the strut spring rotates as you turn the steering wheel.

When is an appropriate time to change the fuel pump? Once in the cars lifetime, well past the 75,000 mileage mark.

I was told by someone that if your fuel pump makes noise, you should replace it. When I start my car, there is a buzzing noise for about 5 seconds and then it quits. Does that mean it's on its way out? Thats normal, Its your Vacuum pump running to aid in heating up the O2 sensors, it does it everytime you start in the am and sometimes on short breaks between driving. The ECU decides.

When should I change the struts, certain number of miles or what? Well, sometimes they can fail or leak as young as 25,000 miles and old struts are ready to replace by about 75,000 miles.

Rough terrain makes the ride jarring at times and something in the suspension rattles. What could be making this rattle, shock mount bushings?
Probably the disc I mentioned in your first question.

Also, the ignition switch used to make a solid clicking noise when I pull the key out, I've noticed within the past week that it doesn't do this anymore. Is this a tell tale sign that it's on its way out and I should replace it? Its the Ignition lock mechanizim, not the Ignition switch. Probably gummed up and not dropping the steering lock pin into the steering column.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg

Last edited by CJ_Boxster; 12-09-2009 at 03:13 PM.
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 05:29 PM   #3

My ignition switch failed after about the 5th day of noticing the key was harder and harder to remove. The last straw when I heard the telltale "crack" of plastic and the switch went limp. Repair is very doable but tedious.

Here's two links:

http://www.pedrosgarage.com/Site_3/Replace_Ignition_Switch.html

Ignition switch problems, need advice/ help
past: 2010 Boxster S

Last edited by turbo23dog; 12-09-2009 at 05:34 PM.
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 08:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowboxster01

When should I change the struts, certain number of miles or what? Rough terrain makes the ride jarring at times and something in the suspension rattles. What could be making this rattle, shock mount bushings?

I don't think there is a certain mileage when strut inserts need to be replaced. If the strut insert (aka the damper inside the spring) still has fluid and is not leaking then replacing them with another OEM strut insert would make no difference.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:54 AM   #5

I'm sorry CJ_Boxster, but I don't agree with some of your answers...

... and I wouldn't want yellowboxter01 (or anyone else for that matter) to replace some expensive parts only to find out that those weren't the ones.

When is an appropriate time to change the fuel pump? Once in the cars lifetime, well past the 75,000 mileage mark.
The appropriate time is when it fails. Why would you want to replace something that might never fail? The pump is not a replaceable item like the fuel filter (on older 986s)

there is a buzzing noise for about 5 seconds and then it quits.
Thats normal, Its your Vacuum pump running to aid in heating up the O2 sensors, it does it everytime you start in the am and sometimes on short breaks between driving. The ECU decides.
It's not the Vacuum Pump it's the Secondary Air Injection Pump. And yes, it is normal, especially when the temps gets colder.

When should I change the struts, certain number of miles or what? old struts are ready to replace by about 75,000 miles.
Again, why make a blanket statement like that? If a strut isn't bent or hasn't leaked, it's still good. Mine are the OEM M030s and they've only seen 191,000 miles to date.

Also, the ignition switch used to make a solid clicking noise when I pull the key out, I've noticed within the past week that it doesn't do this anymore. Is this a tell tale sign that it's on its way out and I should replace it?
Its the Ignition lock mechanizim, not the Ignition switch. Probably gummed up and not dropping the steering lock pin into the steering column.
With 99% certainty it IS the Electrical Portion of the Ignition Switch, and NOT the Lock Mechanism. It sounds counter-intuitive, but that's the way it is. The plastic parts in the electric portion tend to crack, which then don't allow the lock mechanism to work properly. It should be replaced, once it starts acting up.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Last edited by ppbon; 12-11-2009 at 07:38 AM.
ppbon is offline   Reply With Quote