Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 09:42 AM   #1

Need help on decision of 02.......please read...

So I found a 2002 boxster with around 100k miles. It is in my favorite color. The car is being offered for around 11k, so I am wondering if it would be worth it to buy it assuming the PPI checks out and all the issues (RMS) etc have been taken care. If it did check out, I would put another 5k or so making sure it's perfect, maybe add a new top, etc. I guess what I am saying is should I buy a car solely based on color if the mechanically issues check out. It is also 2000 miles away which makes it hard for me to check out in person.

mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #2

I think you should keep looking. boxsters are pretty plentiful and it doesn't look like you are in a locale where they would be hard to find with some patience. personally, I would increase the budget and look for a car w/lower mileage and a good service history. my '02 box w/90k lacked a good service history and I have several thousand into it, even though I've done most of the labor myself. in retrospect, I probably should have gone w/the advise I'm giving you now.
jjanari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:22 AM   #3

Ditto.

It's a buyers' market. Patience pays off. There will always be another one... even in your favorite color. What color is that, by the way?
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 10:29 AM   #4

the color is blue turquoise which I know makes the odd's of finding one very slim. I would much prefer an S as well, but I love this color so much I wonder if it would be worth it in the long run. Of course, assuming it was mechanically sound.
mile2424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:52 AM   #5

You may have a point on the rarity of the color. Whatever floats your boat.

Is the car owned by an individual or a dealer?

Who's going to do your PPI?

If the PPI checks out, have you thought about having the car looked at by a knowledgeable member on this forum? (I'm not offering.) Personally, I wouldn't buy any car sight unseen, but someone else's objective, educated eyes will likely be a lot better than relying solely on a PPI.

Last edited by gschotland; 12-02-2009 at 02:36 PM.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 05:24 AM   #6

If that specific color is a "deal-breaker" then it _might_ be worth trying to make a long distance deal happen. But if you would be...95%?...as happy with another color, then I would keep looking. The remote costs plus the $5K repair budget you have would get you an "S" or a 2003 - both of which would be significant upgrades over the car you are considering.

CenterIsl is offline   Reply With Quote