Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 07:11 PM   #1

Garage
93 accord no start

ok so a friend of mine has a 93 accord and when the engine has been warmed up it has a problem starting.but it also has problems starting cold... the engine is turning over but for some reason it takes awhile to start. then it may start but stall soonafter. also she has sometimes feed it some gas to get it to start and idle smooth. and when it does start the idle is anywhere from 500 to 2500 rpms what could this be..?

i was thinking maybe something to do with the fuel but it could be so many things im kinda lost.... any help? :chicken:

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 07:21 PM   #2

Why not try a Honda forum?
Old 11-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #3

Garage
lol cuz im not a owner or member of a honda forum! i just thought some ppl here might have some idea better than me!
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 09:43 PM   #4

You might want to try this one: http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/

Looks like they get a lot of action in their tech section.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:15 AM   #5

How does it run after it starts? Spark and fuel delivery are good places to start the investigation. Based on your "feed it some fuel" remark it sounds like it's fuel starved. When was the last time it had a fuel filter? A dollar's worth of dry gas is a good bet hedge as well, good luck.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 01:14 PM   #6

I had two of these for several years (91 and 93) and experienced a couple of intermittent problems several times when my daughter drove the car. Was not able to troubleshoot for awhile since each time I had it towed home the car starts. One day it finally happened to me and it would not start.

My symptoms were not like yours but similar and these cars are known to have these issues i,m about to describe.

The car would always start right up when cold but as soon as you shut it down during a warm day it woould not start. A few hrs later it would start. This would happen over and over and happened to my dughter 4 times. One of the common fix is to replace the "Main Switch" cost is about $60. and located in the dash above the steeringwheel. You have to remove a few items to see it and get to it. Do a search for Honda Main switch.

The other common fix for this is the igniter in the distributor. There was a recall for this too.

I ended up replacing both problems parts and the issue never came back since it was hard to pinpoint which of the two was the issue.

cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote