Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #1

Opinions on these Wheels:

I am definitely leery. Thanks.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250536788995&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

California Performance Wholesale Inc.
18 19 WHEELS FOR PORSCHE 911, BOXSTER, CAYMAN - NEW
US $599.00 (set of 4)
Size:

19x8.5
Offset:

+48
Bolt Pattern:

5x130
Make:

Marinello
Model:

GT3

Last edited by keithl; 11-25-2009 at 08:23 AM.
keithl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 06:51 AM   #2

Those wheels look pretty nice.

The seller has 100% positive feedback and looks to have sold wheels for a few range rovers, bmw, lexus. And they all gave him good feedback.
lizBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:17 AM   #3

Another +

I'm not a big fan of aftermarket wheels, but these look great. The description is right on, and the feedback for similar high-end wheels is positive. With that price, it's certainly worth a shot.
If you go through with the purchase, please let the rest of us know what you think of the wheels once you get them, and get them on your Box.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnellman
I'm not a big fan of aftermarket wheels, but these look great. The description is right on, and the feedback for similar high-end wheels is positive. With that price, it's certainly worth a shot.
If you go through with the purchase, please let the rest of us know what you think of the wheels once you get them, and get them on your Box.
I like the look; the price is why I was suspicious. I didn't know if anyone here had experience with this company or wheel manufacturer. Thanks.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:35 AM   #5

They look nice but I don't see how $600 per wheel is a great deal on a no-name wheel. How much does it weigh? What's the finish really like? What will it look like in 2 years? I bought a set of cheap wheels about 15 years ago and they looked great new but the finish quickly deteriorated.

Personally, I would pass unless I saw them in person and knew how much they weighed.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:40 AM   #6

Price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
They look nice but I don't see how $600 per wheel is a great deal on a no-name wheel. How much does it weigh? What's the finish really like? What will it look like in 2 years? I bought a set of cheap wheels about 15 years ago and they looked great new but the finish quickly deteriorated.

Personally, I would pass unless I saw them in person and knew how much they weighed.

If I read the description correctly, it says for a set of four wheels. That's why I believe it's a good deal, price wise.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:05 AM   #7

Looks like the ad reads $599.00 for set of 4
My question would be how much do they weigh and how strong are they?

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop

$600.00 for the set.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #9

When you Google Marinello Wheels, which is the brand named in the Ebay listing, this is what you get: http://www.marinellowheels.com/

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 08:45 AM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Wheel Dynamics was selling replicas for $1200....I found the same wheels on eBay for $600....people were suspicious of the $600 eBay wheels but not Wheel Dynamics...
Old 11-25-2009, 09:46 AM   #11

Nice rims, I bet those would looks sweet on a Boxster. I also concur it seems like a good price for 19"s, it's sux that the set of tires would cost you more than the rims.

The only thing to me is that the set doesn't appeared to be staggered as it is listed as 19 x 8.5.

You need 9.5 - 10.5 in the rear....at least imo.....
Old 11-25-2009, 03:05 PM   #12

Cool

For price, its clear that these replica wheels are made in CHINA. Given what I know about quality of Chinese products, I wouldn't trust my safety to them.
dave99box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #13

I cant speak for quality as I havent used these wheels, but I checked into them when I was looking for wheels. The catch was the weight. I think he quoted me something like 28 for the front and 33 for the rear. Thats 8 to 10 lbs heavier per wheel than my OEM wheels amd significant unspring weight. I ended up getting my OEM wheels powdercoated black and have been very happy with that.
Old 09-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolo
I cant speak for quality as I havent used these wheels, but I checked into them when I was looking for wheels. The catch was the weight. I think he quoted me something like 28 for the front and 33 for the rear. Thats 8 to 10 lbs heavier per wheel than my OEM wheels amd significant unspring weight. I ended up getting my OEM wheels powdercoated black and have been very happy with that.
Can you post a picture of your wheels powdercoated?, I want to do that on mine but not absolutely sure

I was watching these wheels on ebay because they are similar to the ones that the boxster spyder has but I do not if you can fit 19 inch wheels in a 97 boxster, has anybody done that? right now I have OEM 17's, I heard that if you get a bigger rim with thinner tires you get a lot of vibration and discomfort, is that right?
aparmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #15
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
I believe others have mentioned in other threads about this subject that the problem with wheels larger than 17 on the earliest 986s is that they were not designed to handle these, and it is possible to cause serious damage to the frame and other parts of the car. Later 986s were strengthened from the factory to be able to handle larger wheel diameters, but I'd say steer clear of anything over 17 for a 97. In my opinion, the look isn't worth the risk of damaging the car or having some failure occur while driving.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 AM   #16

I can't speak to the quality of these particular wheels, however it should be noted that wheels for cars other than Porsche can routinely be had for around 600 per set if you don't get fancy. Point being you can't judge it on price alone. The long term finish resiliency and resistance to bending after as pothole would be interesting to know.

Last edited by eightsandaces; 09-28-2010 at 01:59 AM.
eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:02 AM   #17
Pat

I love how they look. But I would be very skeptical of the quality for $600. Based on the price alone I would not buy them. Look at any other 19" wheel on the market made by a reputable company. They are AT LEAST twice the price.
Old 09-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #18

I was looking for this set like but definitely not in 19". Tires are too pricey and options are too limited. At this price point the wheels are definitely over 30 pounds each. That's going to make for a bumpy ride if the tire is also heavy. More stress on the suspsension and other bits that will start to break or rattle. Cosmetically, If you don't lower the car the 19" wheels make the car look like an SUV on 22" wheels.

I'm not too skeptical about price, it is afterall an alloy and not a forged piece. Like with everything else there is a huge mark up for imported goods. Even if you paid double you are still over paying because a cheap to produce cast alloy wheel will easily dent if you punt it at just the wrong angle. Which of course makes spending $2000+ for the factory versions plain nuts.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-28-2010 at 06:32 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:41 PM   #19

Well after reading all your comments I have to agree with you about not buying these rims, too much risk, it would be great if I could find a similar design in 17 inch but I believe there is not such a thing, well I will start looking at different designs, any suggestions that look not only good but great?
aparmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:22 AM   #20

Garage
I would contact the distributor and ask them if these wheels meet any of the following standards .

Alloy Wheels Standards

How do you know that when you purchase a set of alloy wheels that they are good? In other words, are they really round, will they turn straight or "true" and will they be durable? It may surprise you to know that there is a relatively easy way to determine the quality and integrity of a set of alloy wheels - verify the alloy wheels standards or certifications.

Alloy wheels standards include various testing procedures to determine the reliability and quality of any vehicle's wheel. The following is a list of the most recognised alloy wheels industry standards:

ISO 9001:2000 Certification - International Service Organisation (ISO) is a global collective which set technical standards (testing and qualifications) for several international industries. ISO 9001:2000 is the latest quality management system (qms) for businesses. It basically creates a unique structure, development and implementation of a QMS in order to increase the quality of business transactions, quality and customer satisfaction.

JWL Certification - Japan Light Alloy Wheel (JWL) standard is a certification level instituted by the Minister of Land, Infrastructure and Transport which requires that alloy wheels being purchased in Japan, must have the JWL mark on them thus showing the alloy wheels to have passed through a rigorous self-certification process.

VIA Certification - Vehicle Inspection Association (VIA) is a third-party group in Japan which can test and verify whether or not any alloy wheels can meet up to the JWL certification tests.

TUV Certification - Technischer Uberwachungs-Verien (TUV) translates to Technical Examination Association in Germany. This is another third-party testing group which began in Germany and now has locations worldwide. The TUV Certification is the highest performance and durability standard any product can hope to meet. To even be considered for testing, all companies must first be ISO 9001:2000.