Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2009, 03:06 PM   #1

wheel dolly for winter storage

Been thinking that I'll use wheel dollies under the Boxster to push her sideways and to the front of my garage. That way, I'll be able to get my other cars in and out of the snow.

I've been bidding on wheel dollies on eBay but keep losing the auctions cause I'm being cheap. The ones I'm looking at are 12" and for a set of 4 they go for around $200 plus $100 shipping.

I just found some on Sears for $174 and $18 shipping.

Does anyone here use wheel dollies? Anyone seen/use the Sears ones?

After moving the car, do you let the car down or do you keep it up during storage? I'm thinking that if I push her to the wall, I won't be able to get to the far side.

lizBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #2

Dollies are cool for moving it, but once moved, lower it onto the tires.

Increase Tire pressure to 59PSI (per Owners Manual) and allow it to sit for the season.

Modern Tires, with synthetic cording - nylon, kevlar, etc., will not permanently flat spot.

Admittedly, back in the reign of Geo. 1st, when tires were purely Steel belted, flat spotting was an issue.

But, with the advent of synthetic cording, flat spotting (if it occurs) will dissapate the first time the tires come up to temp - these new materials do not possess a permanent memory.

In other words, in the interim, it has succumb to the Demon marketers of tire pads, tire dollies, and the like, taking advantage of fears established in past generations of tires which simply are NOT applicable to today's tire engineering.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 11-21-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 02:51 AM   #3

I use solid steel dollies and leave the car up on them over the winter. They are the heavy version / type with wheel brakes on each one. No issues in past two years.

Last edited by coreseller; 11-22-2009 at 02:54 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 03:38 AM   #4

Harbor Freigt has a set real cheap and if you look in most any car or woodworking mag. there is a 20% off coupon to make it even cheaper. They may be cheap but they work , and allow you to move your car into tight spaces out of the way for the resting period. Unless you are going to work on your car over the winter why do you have to get in the other side? Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:09 AM   #5

thanks for replies.

coreseller:
I'm pretty sure it was your picture in another thread that gave me the idea that I could push mine sideways to the front of my two car garage. Heavy version / type with wheel brakes - where did you get those and how much $?

cvhs18472 asked:
Unless you are going to work on your car over the winter why do you have to get in the other side?

If I was to lower it back onto the tires, I would need to get between the wall and the tires to reach the lever.

I looked at Harbor Freight and only found these which look to be only 10" and $79 each.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=67287

Harbor Freight also has these wheel skates that I considered.

I like the dollies more than than skates cause I wouldn't need to jack up each wheel, slide in the skate. Never used the dolly or the skate yet, just thinking it would be easier.

thanks
Old 11-22-2009, 11:05 AM   #6

I frankly forget where I got them and how much but here is a set on ebay for 4 for $165 shipped exactly like mine:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-12-TIRE-SKATES-WHEEL-CAR-DOLLY-BALL-BEARINGS-SKATE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4a9c71b623QQitemZ 320452277795QQptZMotorsQ5fAutomotiveQ5fTools

I considered the hydraulic type but figured that might be 4 more things (pumps) that I would have to potentially fail. It takes me all of 5 or so minutes to jack all four corners up and place the skates under each wheel. I hang them on pegs when not in use. These are VERY heavy gauge steel and much more substantial than what I have seen at HarborFreight.

Last edited by coreseller; 11-22-2009 at 11:08 AM.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #7
Fred Demara

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizBox

that looks like a nice dolly - no jacking the car, just slap it down and racket it up. I think I'll see if Santa has me on his "nice" list this year.
Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #8

These are mine. Buyed from JC Withney. Car on dollies 6 months per year since two winters with air pressure at 55 PSI. No flat spot when back on road after 6 months on dollies. See att. pic.

Good luck.

Thierry
Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.

Last edited by tolum; 11-23-2009 at 08:43 AM.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #9

I bought the wheel skates on ebay for $165 and free shipping. The guy (discount tommy) has a "make best offer" button on the auction. So me always being in the cheap mode offered him $150. He quickly rejected with no comment or counter offer. I then offered $157 which also was quickly rejected with no comment or counter. That kinda terked me a bit. Why have a make offer button if there's no haggling accepted?

I want to get the boxster put away, we're expecting snow this Thursday so I went ahead and paid $165. I'll snap a picture when I get them and add my opinion on the quality.

eBay wheel skates