986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Porsche Boxster Spyder to Debut at LA Auto Show (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22828-porsche-boxster-spyder-debut-la-auto-show.html)

cartagena 11-20-2009 06:21 AM

Porsche Boxster Spyder to Debut at LA Auto Show

Here is the link: http://www.luxist.com/2009/11/19/porsche-boxster-spyder-to-debut-at-la-auto-show/

eightsandaces 11-20-2009 10:03 AM

I love the car and the concept....but (there is always a but) I think the top looks too dainty to repel a serious downpour. I don't want a 50k+ motorcycle when it rains. Porsche screwed the pooch with the top design in the first place. The Fiat top unlatches the exact same way as the Boxster, except after the unlatch, you simply grab the lightweight handle and drop the top behind you. no cable ends to snap, no complicated synchronized motors, less weight...

You also have to hand it to the genius of Porsche marketing, they delete the radio to keep her lean but the price is still higher... love that! What's next? Fender delete package option, $1500.00 lol...

clickman 11-20-2009 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
Porsche screwed the pooch with the top design in the first place. The Fiat top unlatches the exact same way as the Boxster, except after the unlatch, you simply grab the lightweight handle and drop the top behind you. no cable ends to snap, no complicated synchronized motors, less weight...

I agree they could have done better with the top. Before I bought my 01 base, I tried a new (MY07 at that time) MX5, and just loved how easy and uncomplicated the top was. IMHO Porsche should have had a manual top with the power top as an option (clamshell aside...).

Probably the marketing geniuses decided anyone that can afford a Porsche is not going to want to more than push a button to raise or lower the top. I guess they didn't know about the "chop".

blue2000s 11-20-2009 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eightsandaces
You also have to hand it to the genius of Porsche marketing, they delete the radio to keep her lean but the price is still higher... love that! What's next? Fender delete package option, $1500.00 lol...

Porsche's done this for a LONG time. Special light weight cars get a higher price tag, like the RS America and club sport. At least with the spyder, some of the body panels are replaced with aluminum.

jmatta 11-20-2009 01:52 PM

Special light weight cars get a higher price tag, like the RS America and club sport

I owned a 1993 RS America and at the time, they were considerably less expensive than the standard C2; though they bring quite a bit more on resale now. I agree the club sport was a great concept, but ridiculously overpriced.

I think the Boxster Spyder was a great concept that some marketing type screwed up.

blue2000s 11-20-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmatta
Special light weight cars get a higher price tag, like the RS America and club sport

I owned a 1993 RS America and at the time, they were considerably less expensive than the standard C2; though they bring quite a bit more on resale now. I agree the club sport was a great concept, but ridiculously overpriced.

I think the Boxster Spyder was a great concept that some marketing type screwed up.

Interestingly, the coupe RS America was cheaper than the C2 coupe but the RS America Roadster was more than any other 911 but the Turbo.

Stunin_Stud 11-20-2009 02:14 PM

Good concept better marketing

I agree with some of you on the whole marketing aspect of this.

Less equipment, which doesnt contribute to much weight loss, but an increase in price, and 10 extra ho. Oh you also get a lower top speed because of the top design.

I like this car but Id love it more if it had a 3.8L carrera S engine dressed up under a ferrari like glass/plastic engine cover ( or not). PCCB, adjustible suspension. I wouldnt mind that yamica style top if Porsche gave me all of these.

jmatta 11-20-2009 02:41 PM

My RS America was one of the 911s I probably should have held on to, but they became very valuable in the late '90s-early 2000's. Sold the car for quite a bit more than I paid, even with the track modifications. The 911 America Roadster was another example of overpriced Porsche marketing gimmick, as Blue2000s pointed out. Not my style, but they sold...

Perfectlap 11-20-2009 05:15 PM

Boxster Spyder might be the dumbest name yet for any Porsche.

Boxer+Roadster(essentially a spyder?) = Boxster

Boxer + Spyder = Boxder? weird.

Boxster Roadster? huh?

How about 997 Boxster RS??

or the RS 997 Boxster?

btw, just buy a $30K CaymanS, put it on motons, R-Comps, GT3 seats, hack off the roof, rip out the soft top and AC/Radio, paint it GT3 Green.... save $20K.

RandallNeighbour 11-20-2009 05:39 PM

Jeremy Clarkson ripped Porsche a new one on their first show this last Sunday during the "news" section of the show with a pic of this boxster variant on the screen.

Said it was a boxster with a tent attachment and a surcharge or something along those lines.

I must agree.

vath2001 11-21-2009 03:16 AM

I am suprised that they could only pull 180 pounds out. Aluminum doors: yes, there's a couple of pounds... the manual top should have saved more weight. Maybe the engine cover / hump should be carbon fiber. At $61, there should be a pile of carbon in this car to save weight.

Maybe I'll order one next week... it I can only get those six numbers right!

Gary in BR 11-21-2009 07:02 AM

There are alot of things Porsche could have done with this car. Is it something inamorata going to buy....no. But, I am thankfully they arendoing something with the boxster besides letting it be ignored.

Dragonwind 11-21-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Jeremy Clarkson ripped Porsche a new one on their first show this last Sunday during the "news" section of the show with a pic of this boxster variant on the screen.

Said it was a boxster with a tent attachment and a surcharge or something along those lines.

I must agree.

Glad to see I'm not the only Top Gear fanatic that watches them immediately. Yes, I do agree with Jeremy on this one.