Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 AM   #1

Front Lic Plate Mouting Question

My, new-to-me, '98 986 has the holes on the front bumber with covering caps. I ordered the countoured pieces from Pelican Parts to mount the plate to the bumper. The kit I got had one piece bigger than the other and appears to have been intended for mounting off center.

I would like to know a source for a matched pair of countoured mounts so I can mount in the center. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by jim_hoyland; 11-17-2009 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Spell error
jim_hoyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 10:03 AM   #2

Here's a pic of the two countered pieces I received from Pelican.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #3

That's strange. You should have received two pieces similar to the one on the right, accept there will be a left and right side pieces to match the contour of the bumper. there should also be a black metal bracket that attaches to the plastic pieces in your photo, and that the license plate attaches to.

But to tell you the truth the whole mounting assembly will probably get knocked off by the first person that "taps" your bumper in a parking lot. After mine loosened up and wouldn't stay on, I ditched it and mounted the plate directly to the bumper. I had to drill new holes in the plate to line up with the holes already in the bumper, but now the plate sits about and inch lower and almost flush the the bumper.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:04 PM   #4

You have the right pieces for the bumper. You're just missing the metal bar which connects them and has the plastic nuts/ receptacles for the plate screws. I might still have mine in the garage. If so, it's yours if you cover postage. In case I forget to check tonight and post, send me a PM to remind me.

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:07 PM   #5

The two contoured pieces fit into the back of a plastic backing the size of the license plate and the plates then attach to the plastic piece.

Was a special contoured piece made from maybe another source ?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:55 PM   #6

Here is what you need. You have one or both of the plastic pieces shown in the photos.

Aron
Old 11-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #7

Thanks for the photo of the metal frame and contoured pieces, that helps. Who sells that ?
Old 11-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #8

In CT we are supposed to have a front plate. But I, and many others have been getting away with it. I've plugged the plate holes in the bumper.

However, when and if I get caught and fined, I'll have to cave in and install a plate on the front. Since mine is an '01, the mount is like the others in this thread. My thought is to lower the plate as Aron has done, or perhaps even a little lower, to line up with the radiator louvers (of course this will only work on non-Ss). To compensate for the bumper curve, I want to create custom fillers to accomodate the plate so that it is fully supported and completely vertical. A plastic material could work, or possibly wood with fastened side panels of black plastic. This could look really sharp and if done right would only space the plate out maybe 1/4" if that.

If any of you guys have some good thoughts on what material to make this filler mount, add your thoughts here and it may become reality. For instance, I also have a Subaru Forester that an aftermarket company has built a filler that perfectly fills the void between the bumper and the plate. Besides screwin git on, they use a 3M double sided tape to secure it firmly so that it won't bounce around and wear away your paint.

Bob
Old 11-18-2009, 04:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobiam

If any of you guys have some good thoughts on what material to make this filler mount, add your thoughts here and it may become reality. For instance, I also have a Subaru Forester that an aftermarket company has built a filler that perfectly fills the void between the bumper and the plate. Besides screwin git on, they use a 3M double sided tape to secure it firmly so that it won't bounce around and wear away your paint.

Bob

Sintra, I think it's a trade name for pvc that the sign guys use. It's light weight and wont deteriorate.
Ken
SoCalKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalKen
Sintra, I think it's a trade name for pvc that the sign guys use. It's light weight and wont deteriorate.
Ken
Does this stuff come in various thicknesses or only sheets??? I know a sign guy to ask when I see him.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #11

Jim: If you really get desperate, you're welcome to use one of my West Virginia addresses, register it here, and have a nice clean no front plate look. Save some $$, too.

2003 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, White/ Black
2006 Mini Cooper S Silver Grey/Black
1972 Chance HOP ROD, red /w Yellow handlebar
wifesmainwrench is offline   Reply With Quote