Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #1

Oil change in 01 S w/15k in CT

All:

I have an 01 Boxster S with 15k. I've had it since new and generally change the oil every year (or two) as I put so few miles on it. I've been using 15w-50 M1 to date but I have not kept up on the new stuff or this site. What is the recommended weight/brand now for my car? I live in CT so probably 3-4 months the weather is on the cold side, the rest of the year we are north of 50 degrees. The car is always garaged and rarely used in the winter. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.

fishski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 07:30 PM   #2

This topic has been covered numerous times. The Search function is your friend.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 02:28 AM   #3

I did that first...and in the time you took to respond you could have answered the question. The answers in the search are all over the place. I think I remember why I left the board. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #4

While gschotland is right and answers / opinions are all over the place, the consensus I got was Mobil 1 isn't what it used to be. Castrol Syntec 10W40 works fine and is more economical, especially in 5 qt. jugs from Walmart. My 2 cents.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:38 AM   #5

Thanks coreseller. Thats the response I was looking for. Again the first thing I did was do a search and I just felt there is no clear answer so I asked a direct question. I'm sure like anything there just simply might not be a 100% correct answer.

Thanks.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:18 AM   #6

Ask a controversial question

And expect people to not answer the way you want.

You asked about a topic that is debated strongly on all on-line Porsche forums with differing opinions, no one convincing the other side. And then you ask "what is the answer, just give it to me in the condensed version".

The true answer is there is no consensus answer on the "right" brand or viscosity (and IMHO, given your CT location, lots would depend on if you were storing your car for the winter and only taking it out on its summer tires when the weather had been a healthy 45 degrees for a couple of hours or you were intending on driving it through the winter. You say rarely used in the winter..does that imply the former? Because 15 weight isn't the recommended for cold starts. Fine in the summer.).

Porsche must list about 60 answers in its approved oils list.

I live in NC, lots warmer than CT where my sister in law lives. If my oil filters get here today, I'll be changing my '01S to 10W40 fully synthetic. Not Mobil. I follow the not under 45 degrees rule as I have only summer tires but have been out on Xmas day with the top down as down here it isn't like your deep freeze for long periods weather...I get out at least every 2 weeks. Still I like the 0 or 10 weight for a car that isn't run every day as it flows more quickly when the car is started even though the car is never ever started below 40 degrees.

But that is only one man's opinion.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #7

fishski - you might want to also consider using redline oil. It is quite expensive but with the IMS, and long intervals of sitting, I feel the peace of mind is worth it.
superbuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:03 AM   #8

Just did my fall (once a year change), filling with Castrol Syntec 10W40. I drive 2500-3000 miles annually; May to November (stored during winter months).

As Mike stated, there is no "easy" answer...only you can make an educated decision by reading the pros and cons listed in the various posts or go to www.lnengineering.com and read everything you ever wanted to know about motor oils and more. I just know the experts do not recommend Mobil 1 0W40 and many other 5W or 10W40 brands should work fine for your climate and driving habits.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 11-20-2009 at 02:03 PM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbuick
fishski - you might want to also consider using redline oil. It is quite expensive but with the IMS, and long intervals of sitting, I feel the peace of mind is worth it.

First, as the oil does not lubricate the sealed IMS bearing, no particualr brand or weight of oil is any better or worse than another in protecting you from IMS failure.....

Second, even though Redline is expensive, it has no ACEA ratings. I would not use it in an M96 for that reason alone.................

JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote