Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #1

Front End Damage - Advice

I was driving back from town and a lab-sized dog shot out into the road at a full run from behind a hedge. I just had a chance to hit the brakes hard for a fraction of a second. I hit it almost exactly in the center of the front bumper. It was still stretched out running at full speed when I hit it and had not even seen the car.

I pulled off the road to check on the dog, it lived for about 5 minutes or so. It was a 45 mph zone, clear sunny day with the top down. I normally drive 5 mph over the limit as I was today, so I was traveling at 50 mph before I hit the brakes, but I dont think the car had a chance to slow down much at all.

I have been driving now for almost 45 years and this is the first accident of any sort I have been in. We are dog-lovers so it was hard to try to comfort the dog for a few minutes before it died. I walked around to find some neighbors and talked to a few. Seems that this dog was well-known in the area and not very well liked. She was supposed to be on a runner of some sort, but was always running loose and tearing around the area.

Anyway, I called my insurance, State Farm and reported the incident. My wife lost her cell phone again, so she borrowed mine today, so I could not snap a pic of the damage, but front bumper is trashed. It did not look like the radiators were hit, maybe just the coolant lines, but it looks like I lost most the the coolant, so I had it towed to a shop in town where an insurance adjustor can do their stuff.

My initial plan is to have it towed to a good indi shop I use in Richmond and have it put back together. But was wondering if there was any additional advice from the group on what I should be doing to the car, thanks,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 11:47 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Hey dude glad your alright. Sucks about the dog,I spank my dogs hard when they dart across the street to hang out with my neighbors dog just to prevent something like this from happening to them.

So did the front bumper absorber(shock?) take the majority of the force?
Old 11-16-2009, 11:50 AM   #3
Fred Demara

Quote:
Originally Posted by edevlin

My initial plan is to have it towed to a good indi shop I use in Richmond and have it put back together. But was wondering if there was any additional advice from the group on what I should be doing to the car, thanks,

Ed

sorry ed. you might want to check with the dog's owner - I believe their home owners policy will cover you.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:54 AM   #4

"So did the front bumper absorber(shock?) take the majority of the force?"

Yes, in terms on impact sensation, very little was transmitted to the cabin. Just a suprisingly loud sound of the impact. I will try to get to town in the next few days and get a photo of the damage to post.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
Old 11-16-2009, 05:55 PM   #5

I really can't say what I'd do, but right now, thinking of that dog croaking in front of me, I honestly don't know if I would have the moxie to ask the owners to pay for the dammages... From the discription, the driver had no options, its not his fault somone's dog ran into the street, and probably perfectly within reason to ask for compensation, but I just don't think its something i could stomach...
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
JTP

I agree with turbo23dog that asking the dog's owners to pay for the damages would be difficult but they did not seem to be responsible dog owners. It was up to them to provide discipline and safety for the animal but from the complaints the neighbors expressed, they were not the ideal dog masters.
If they were forced to pay for damages caused by their dog who went astray due to poor dog handling, perhaps in the future they will either be more responsible with the next dog or better yet not own another dog. As sad as the death of the dog is, no one else was hurt.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:12 PM   #7

I like dogs also but it wasn't your fault and I agree that the dog's owner should pay for the repairs.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:33 PM   #8

It would be hard for me to contact the dog owners and go through what would be necessary to get them to cover the damages. I have a 250.00 deductable policy, I guess I will talk to my agent tomorrow and see what they recommend. If the accident will not increase my rates, I will probably just suck up the 250.00 and end up with a new front bumper.

That is unless there is a lot more damage than I could see and the adjuster does not think a 2000 base boxter with 91K on the clock is worth what it will cost to fix the damage and says the car is totaled, not very likely, but you never know.

Ed

Old 11-16-2009, 07:18 PM   #9

Sorry to hear about your car - especially since you have put so much effort into it. I checked out your car page and I especially like the look of the GT-3 seats. I did a track day at VIR in October and they look like they would be great for that purpose.

Did you you bring your car to Luftechnic?

Good luck.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 07:53 PM   #10

sounds like it's time for an upgraded front bumper...

too bad about the dog. at least it wasn't a kid - THAT would have been awful.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:31 AM   #11

"Did you you bring your car to Luftechnic?"

Its not in Richmond yet, but I plan on taking it to Luftechnic after the apraisal is done.

"sounds like it's time for an upgraded front bumper..."

I have not looked into options for front bumpers, what are the options out there for an upgraded unit for a 2000 base, and are they similar in cost to the stock unit?

Ed

Old 11-17-2009, 03:33 AM   #12

Sorry, Ed, we all know how much you take care of your car.

I agree that you should seek repair costs from the dog owner. You do not even need to speak to them, that's your insurance company's job to do. Your insurance company is not going to want to pay a claim if they don't have to, and can put fault on the other party.

Hopefully the dog owners can adopt a needy dog from a shelter, and provide better care and training for the new pet.

Time for an upgraded front-end. Lemonade from lemons!
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #13

Here are some pics, damage. It does not look as bad today because there is not coolant spewing all over the place like it was yesterday.

So, my engine, unlike some of the others out there is going to last forever, at least 200K. But if for some highly unlikely, extremely remote, improbably chance my 2.7L flat six did die, and if I could somehow come up with the bucks for a new Raby or other larger engine, would this be a good time to putting on an S-type front bumper, and perhaps even the third radiator to help with cooling?

Ed

Old 11-17-2009, 02:32 PM   #14

Quote:
and perhaps even the third radiator to help with cooling?

Ed
Ed, I don't think you need a 3rd radiator. The "S" does not have it. The only cars that have the 3rd rad are Tips, IIRC. Don't forget, more that 50% of our cooling comes from the oil, not the water.
Old 11-17-2009, 04:16 PM   #15

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
Ed, I don't think you need a 3rd radiator. The "S" does not have it. The only cars that have the 3rd rad are Tips, IIRC. Don't forget, more that 50% of our cooling comes from the oil, not the water.
Thats not true ALL S models have a 3rd radiator...
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriGem2k
Thats not true ALL S models have a 3rd radiator...
Not on the 987 S. Are you saying the 986 S have it?
Old 11-20-2009, 02:33 PM   #17

All 986 S cars have a center (third) radiator.

Not to be cruel or insensitive, but thank goodness the incident was not more serious. Another driver may have swerved into oncoming traffic to avoid the dog or been injured because of the pet owner's carelessness. I wouldn't feel at all bad about calling upon their responsibility. If it were their child that threw a rock at your car (don't ask me why I bring this up; been there) you would certainly hold the parent responsible?

Pet owners have responsibilities and I expect them to abide by them.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #18

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Wait a tick....what 986 S don't have the center radiator?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:05 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
All 986 S cars have a center (third) radiator.
Thanks for the clarity about the 986S.

The 987S does not have a 3rd rad. Only a 987/987S with Tip has a 3rd rad.
Old 11-21-2009, 05:35 AM   #20
Fred Demara

it's hard one, and you have a good heart. I think you should contact the dogs owners and hold them accountable for two reasons. 1) if they understand there are consequence to their actions, they will take steps make sure another animal in their care does not die needlessly and 2) you might be helping someone else avoid the pain you've suffered by having to watch this dog die.

Quote:
It would be hard for me to contact the dog owners and go through what would be necessary to get them to cover the damages. I have a 250.00 deductable policy, I guess I will talk to my agent tomorrow and see what they recommend. If the accident will not increase my rates, I will probably just suck up the 250.00 and end up with a new front bumper.

That is unless there is a lot more damage than I could see and the adjuster does not think a 2000 base boxter with 91K on the clock is worth what it will cost to fix the damage and says the car is totaled, not very likely, but you never know.

Ed