Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2010, 07:20 PM   #1

Can I change fuel filter, spark plugs and oil without jacking up the car?

Hi,

Is it possible to change fuel filter, spark plugs and oil by just using ramps?
I got a set of rhino ramps, and I wonder if it's possible to do these DIY just by backing the car onto them.

Thanks
Sasha

sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:06 PM   #2

No problem with the oil change.

You'll want to take the back wheels off for plug access, so I'd just use the supplied jack and a jack stand and do each side separately.

Ramps will work for the fuel filter change, but the relative lack of clearance makes it more of a ******************** than it would be on a lift or something. I had to use a mirror to see.

Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #3
Schatten-Baum-Mechaniker

while you are in there

If your car is old enough to need a fuel filter and plugs, it most likely needs a front motor mount. If you are moving and removing all the parts to get to the fuel filter, then the motor mount is right there.
tommy986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 06:40 AM   #4

Changing the spark plugs with the wheels on will be difficult. I'd suggest removing the rear wheels to get to the spark plugs. Using the ramp for an oil change is the way to go.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:11 AM   #5

i would remove the tires and put it on jackstands. It doesn't take that much longer and will make accessability much better.
dallison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #6

As was said above, it's LOTs easier to change the plugs with the wheels off. The fuel filter can probably be done on the ramps but it's pretty tight up there. Be sure to wear gloves, glasses and a hat! You WILL get fuel on you when you disconnect the lines, so protect your skin as much as possible. I borrowed the lift at my mechanic's garage to do mine (what a great guy!!) Easy job when there's access to everything. And yeah.. you probably need a new front motor mount too, which is much, much easier with a lift. (I didn't think I needed one, but took Pedro's advice and did it anyway. My old one was completely shot, with pieces falling out of it when it was removed. There was probably less than 1/4 of the rubber left. Strange that I wasn't noticing any ill effects from it)

Have fun and BE CAREFUL!

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:39 AM   #7

Yes, yes....just dig a hole and drive over it. Do your maintenance and the file the hole back in.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #8

Sounds like you are doing your 120K service!
I did the fuel filter with the car jacked up and it was still a PITA.
The fact that it is pretty much in the middle of the car made me kind of paranoid while I was under there.
+1 on removing the wheels for the spark plugs. You might want to check Pedro's garage for some guidance on changing the rings on the spark plug tubes. Mine were more flat than round. Check for oil on the spark plugs as an indicator.
Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986FortyEight
Sounds like you are doing your 120K service!
I did the fuel filter with the car jacked up and it was still a PITA.
The fact that it is pretty much in the middle of the car made me kind of paranoid while I was under there.
+1 on removing the wheels for the spark plugs. You might want to check Pedro's garage for some guidance on changing the rings on the spark plug tubes. Mine were more flat than round. Check for oil on the spark plugs as an indicator.

It's actually 60K service. I just bought my 2000 boxster and it has 65K on it.
I don't have any history on any maintenance performed so I want to do it myself.

When you say "it was a PITA" was it hard or just scary?

I'm not very car savvy and I'm a little paranoid about breaking something...

Funny thing.. it took me 2 hr to change oil on my lexus SUV because I double and triple check everything. It's funny how I use my 35k$ car as a training rat so I wouldn't break anything on my 8000$ boxster.. am I crazy?

I should've took a picture of me under the car with all the tool around me and a laptop with step by step instruction right by me

Thanks
Sasha
sasha055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:16 AM   #10

Garage
You guys are looking at this ALL WRONG!

Each maintainance job you do on your vehicle is an opportunity to buy a new tool.

The money you save by doing it yourslef more than pays for the tool you need.

The longer you work on you stuff the more tools you get.

So go buy a floor jack and four jack stands and leave your wife's makeup mirror alone.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:09 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
You guys are looking at this ALL WRONG!

Each maintainance job you do on your vehicle is an opportunity to buy a new tool.

The money you save by doing it yourslef more than pays for the tool you need.

The longer you work on you stuff the more tools you get.

So go buy a floor jack and four jack stands and leave your wife's makeup mirror alone.

landrover is so right...first I bought my wife one of those mini vibrators and I have her wear it when I shop for tools. She smiles and says, "get what ever you want". You just need to please her first.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by landrovered
Hey... that's my neck hair trimming mirror.

I would have used jack stands and my floor jack, but it was one of those deals where I was already half way in when it dawned on me that perhaps the ramps, while the easiest and most stable solution, were not the best for this application. I blame homebrews.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #13

Garage
Kinda like the time I used a Hi-lift jack to change a tire on a Land Rover in the shop. Of course it fell off the Hi-lift, they are great for trail repairs but dangerous as hell on a cement floor. Then I tried to use a fork lift to lift the back of the Discovery off the brake disk and put one of the forks through the back window.

I should have gone in the house before the whole incident began.