Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 05:22 PM   #1

Question New Canvas top with Glass for my 2002 986S

[SIZE=3]I'm looking for some info on installing a new top on my Boxster S. It si a 2002 and I'm planning on the glass upgrade. A few questions: 1.) Does the car have the wiring harness for the rear defrost - if so where do I find it? 2.) How difficult is it to install and are there on line instructions (or some that someone can send me) - how long should it take to insall? 3.) Any words of wisdom on canvas material A5 vs. the others? 4.) Has anyone heard of someone who will replace a broken green plastic top with a glass insert in my own roof - without purchasing an entirely new roof?

Glen

Skimd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #2

Question 1: Look behind the driver's seat close to where the top frame meets the side of the car. The defroster attachment is beneath a small flip up cover.

Questions 2 & 3. Here are the best instructions I've found for replacing the top:

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/replacingthetop-adiy

Question 4: The glass needs to be smaller than the plastic window. I guess in theory you could design something that fits in the space of the plastic window and is part glass and part fabric so that the glass part would just drop down. I don't think anyone makes such a product.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:56 PM   #3

Yes, the 2002 S models have the wiring installed for the rear defrost. There shoul be a small Black Molex-type plug just behind the drivers seat. From the seated position, it's just over your Left shoulder, next to the hoops. There's a small hinged cover that covers the actual recepticle.
Rareair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:59 PM   #4

Do the 2000 Boxster S models also have this plug? I could not find one...
Reborn996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:32 PM   #5

Schedule the entire weekend for this DIY project.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn996
Do the 2000 Boxster S models also have this plug? I could not find one...

ALL Boxsters came with this plug from the factory. It was put in because the hardtops (with defroster) were an option from the very first model year.

Here is where it is located, directly over your left shoulder as you sit in the driver's seat:

Sometimes it's oriented 180 degrees around.

You just flip up the little plastic cover by pulling up on the little tab, exposing the connector for the defroster wire:

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:19 PM   #7

Found it, thanks!

Reborn996 is offline   Reply With Quote