Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2005, 12:23 AM   #1

Cold weather start

I bought by boxster in California, but recently moved to Germany. I have noticed a weird sound when I start the car in cold weather. The car never made the sound in California, I think because the weather was always above 50 degrees. Since I've beeen in Germany, the temperatures have been below freezing. When I start the car it makes a sound similar to if you grind a starter, a highpitched buzz. I have never ground the starter in my boxster, but it sounds like that. After driving the car and it's warm, if I restart the car, there's no sound. Anybody know what's causing this sound?

MCR429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 04:58 AM   #2

Talking

Back in NE, I heard this sound from several cars that I owned. It seemed to be normal, I assumed as a result of having to crank a cold engine with heavy oil vs. what we here in CA are used to.

Are you using 0W-40 Mobil 1 over there?
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:09 AM   #3

I live in NE, but never have experienced such a sound, even in the dead middle of the winter like now. Maybe something happened during the ocean voyage?

Last edited by tomatjs; 03-10-2005 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling
tomatjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 11:50 AM   #4

After a while of cold weather I hear a belt squeal on start up.
Yesterday the Porsche dealer in my area did a top to bottom inspection of everything and other than a wheel alignment found nothing wrong.
I asked about the squeal and a very raspy uneven exhaust sound
he said "when its below freezing it just makes noises that it doesn't when its warm,nothing unusual"
I guess I'll have to take his word for it, one the best dealer service departments in the northeast.
A McLaren SLR pulled into the hangar sized garage and the attendant told me the dealership was getting two of the four that were being imported in the US.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 05:54 AM   #5

Yeah, I believe its 0-40W. I know it's Mobil1, just had the oil done for the 60k service before I shipped the car.
MCR429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:34 AM   #6

its Mobil 1 0-30.
I just visited my local Porsche dealer, one of the largest in the Northeast and the service manager said that all Porsches get Mobil 0-30. He said that's the only grade that Porsche will send them. So if it was good enough for that Carrera GT its the right choice for my BoxsterS.

I'm going to see fi I can buy my own oil and take it to a ASE certified oil change place. THe dealer charges about 6x what the Mobil 1 station charges. I also picked up a filter & filter wrench.

This place has the 0-30 for under $10 a bottle.

http://www.autobarn.net/rodi/mo1raoil.html

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-14-2005 at 06:48 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:54 AM   #7

Talking

I believe this is news to the rest of the Porsche world. 0W-40 has been spec since 1999 (it used to be 15W-50) unless this changed in 2005. My dealer buys it by the 50 gallon drum, as I have been there when they delivered it.

BTW-you can buy Mobil 1 0W-30 (a very good oil) at the local Pep Boys for under $5 a quart.

And your dealer does not get his Mobil 1 from Porsche, he gets it from well, Mobil!!!!!!!!!

I have been having all my cars serviced at local shop for OIL CHANGES. Piece of cake!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
its Mobil 1 0-30.
I just visited my local Porsche dealer, one of the largest in the Northeast and the service manager said that all Porsches get Mobil 0-30. He said that's the only grade that Porsche will send them. So if it was good enough for that Carrera GT its the right choice for my BoxsterS.

I'm going to see fi I can buy my own oil and take it to a ASE certified oil change place. THe dealer charges about 6x what the Mobil 1 station charges. I also picked up a filter & filter wrench.

This place has the 0-30 for under $10 a bottle.

http://www.autobarn.net/rodi/mo1raoil.html
Old 03-14-2005, 09:04 AM   #8

Yes he did say 0-40, my mistake
the 0-30 is for harder driven engines and engineered by Mobil 1's racing teams. (hence twice the cost). It was previously unavailble to the market.
the 0-40 Black cap is the factory fill for Porsche, Merc and Aston Martin.

I'll have to check out Pepboys for that sub $5 price on 0-30.
Around here Autozone is the only place that seems to have 0-30.

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-14-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:25 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Quote:
After a while of cold weather I hear a belt squeal on start up.
I asked about the squeal and a very raspy uneven exhaust sound
he said "when its below freezing it just makes noises that it doesn't when its warm,nothing unusual"
I also had the squeal and my dealer replaced my belt and all pulleys to try to curtail it. 2 months later, I am still getting the squeal on cold startup (30 degrees or below pretty much). My dealer said he'll adjust the tension next time I'm in for service as the new belt may have stretched.

Anyway, if this is in fact a normal cost of cold weather, then I got a free belt and pulleys for nothing! That's exciting, as I think I would have replaced them at my 60k service (17k miles from now) anyway! And that would have NOT been warrantied.
YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:55 PM   #10
pez

Send a message via AIM to pez Send a message via Yahoo to pez
Take this for what it's worth but if I remember correctly when the boxster starts up in the colder weather the air pump kicks in to reduce the start up emissions, and that noise is pump running for the first 15-30 sec after a cold start. However your description of the squeal sounds like it might something else.

-pez
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 06:19 PM   #11

Possibly the belt...

Maybe you should just change the belt. It's a very easy DIY and requires a basic socket set and a bit of strength to move the tensioner pulley. Here in cold Chicago my squeel went away after replacing the belt 2 weeks ago. I had 47,000 on my 2000 S. Hope this helps!

Paul
Old 03-15-2005, 05:44 AM   #12

That price I quoted you is for there regular 0-30 oil, not the new racing forumla.

Quote:
Yes he did say 0-40, my mistake
the 0-30 is for harder driven engines and engineered by Mobil 1's racing teams. (hence twice the cost). It was previously unavailble to the market.
the 0-40 Black cap is the factory fill for Porsche, Merc and Aston Martin.

I'll have to check out Pepboys for that sub $5 price on 0-30.
Around here Autozone is the only place that seems to have 0-30.