Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2009, 12:29 PM   #1

Am I being ripped off?

1. I have a pretty reputable warranty from: https://www.warrantydirect.com

2. My 01 Boxster with 50,000 miles had a minor RMS leak and MAF malfunction. So I took it to my local porsche dealer.

3. The warranty only covers for something like 9.2 hours of work while the dealer charges for 14 hours of work?

4. I have to pay the difference of something around $750.

Is that normal practice or am I being made a fool? Sorry, just wondering. Any advice on lowering the cost of repairs in the future? Any other reputable repair shops around Los Angeles that you guys might recommend? Thanks!

bkc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 PM   #2

Sounds like you need to read your policy more closely. WD may well be within what the policy allows.

Have you thought about calling another dealer and a couple of idie shops to see what they charge? These are both routine repairs. You'll quickly determine who's screwing you, the dealer or WD.

This seems like yet another example of why it's better to bank the premium and self insure rather than deal with one of these warranty companies that has every incentive to screw you.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 12:53 PM   #3

I think you would need more detail on what sort of MAF malfunction. That's a simple plug and play unit if replacing is all that is needed. I'm not sure how long it takes to replace the RMS but you might want to post this over at Renntech.org
Are you allowed to use an independent shop or must it be an authorized dealer?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:12 PM   #4

Thanks for the info. The MAF needs to be replaced so its a simple swap. The warranty does include any other ASE certified repair shops....does anyone have any reputable porsche repair shops around Los Angeles that you can recommend?
bkc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 01:26 PM   #5
Track rat

Garage
I am pretty sure a chimp could change the RMS in 14 hours . Call Tony at Callas Rennsport in Torrance, or Loren at 911 Design in Montclair, for a quote from either very experienced Porsche repair shop around LA.
Old 11-09-2009, 02:03 PM   #6

"Reputable warranty from Warranty Direct"

Sounds like an oxymoron to me...

Check around and good luck; I hope they pay for the repairs since you paid them for the policy.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:50 AM   #7

14 hr sounds like a lot to me for an RMS replacement, even with Tiptronic. I have an '03 with Tiptronic and I had a leaky RMS done under warranty at the dealer. While I don't have the repair receipt in front of me, I'm pretty sure it was under 10 hr of labor, including updating the IMS. I'd shop it around.

As for WD, after my factory warranty lapsed, I bought a SecureCare+ warranty from WD. So far, they've paid every claim without any hassles. I've never had to deal with them at all, my shop handles the interactions. While I haven't had anything as major as an RMS or worse, they've covered about $1200 in repairs so far, and I paid $1944 for the policy.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #8

If you do end up having the RMS repaired you might think about having the clutch replaced as well as long at the tranny is out.

Also, since you say minor leak, you might be able to just wipe the bottom of the tranny off when needed and just keep an eye it and on your oil level until you need a new clutch and then have it fixed. Just replace the MAF yourself and save the time and money.

Last edited by idheaton; 11-10-2009 at 12:43 PM.
idheaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:39 PM   #9

How do you know it's the RMS and not the IMS?
Old 11-10-2009, 04:24 PM   #10

Warranty Direct paid for my RMS replacement w/o any problems (it was a different story with WD started when the engine needed to be replaced due to IMS failure some time later but well eventually they paid)
And yes while we were at it I also had my clutch replaced (the clutch was on me, but the pre-allocated time for the RMS replacement was enough to get also the clutch done)
So it seems to me that you're getting screwed by the shop who quotes you these 14 hours

2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote