Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2005, 06:27 PM   #1

motor

ok, I am a new boxster owner, and I did not recieve a manual for this baby. I hate to ask this question, (like asking my wife for directions) but will swallow my pride and ask, how do I get into the einine??????

boxsterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:44 PM   #2

1. Go to the dealership and order a manual. Best $35 bucks I ever spent... tells you all kinds of stuff about your car you don't know today and won't figure out on your own.

2. How to get to your engine from the top...

a. Open your top half way.
b. Remove your vinyl cubby or storage bin that may or may not have your rear speakers in it. If you don't have either of these, you may have a netting that should be removed. If it's just carpet behind the rollbar, go to c...
c. There are a couple of securing latches at the back of your top, near the bottom. You'll see these and they should be unhooked.
d. Now unhook the two cables that keep your top down. At the bottom of the cable, these "plug in" to the frame and can simply be pulled on to release them. You'll have to tug hard. You'll then be able to swing up the base of the top and it should stay up for engine access.

Note: I'm writing this from memory, so C and D may be reversed. Just looking at it will tell you.

e. There are metal clips that you rotate 180 degrees... I think there's four of them. This releases the carpeting you see when the top is up.
f. There's a heat shield below that and you can then remove it the same way. More rotating clips.

Viola! You are now seeing your engine.

Now I know you didn't ask, but you're gonna, so I'm beating you to the punch... don't use a K&N air filter or any other kind that uses oil to trap particles... they'll foul out your MAF sensor which gauges the air coming into the engine... and these suckers are EXPENSIVE.

In reality, there's rarely a time when you should be working on your engine from the top unless you are changing the air filter. Most everything is accessed from below.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-09-2005 at 06:48 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:55 PM   #3

Quick answers

Buy a manual tomorrow.

You check the oil level in the rear trunk.

Stay away from the engine.

Best of luck and welcome to our little forum.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 06:28 AM   #4

Stay away from the engine?????

What fun is that? :dance: this guy is soooo cool
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:18 AM   #5

where is the engine

Thanks guys, the maunual is on the way.
boxsterbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 07:31 AM   #6

If you have an insatiable desire to monkey with the engine, first hunt around on this site for threads about real-life experiences with engine mods.
Even stupid-simple things like changing the air filter system can lead to "unintended consequences", ref. RandallNeighbour's post.
It's like a high school art student looking at the Mona Lisa, and saying, "I can fix that smirk real easy." It ain't happenin'.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 08:23 AM   #7

When I checked out my Boxster before buying it I asked to see the engine and the salesman said he didn't know how to get to it. This was the trade-in lot for a Acura dealership. So I said "ok lets get in and maybe we can hear it instead of seeing it". My Boxster only had 10,000 miles with a clean title so I didn't bother to bring a mechanic. We also have a six month mandatory engine and transmission warranty here in New Jersey for all used cars.

BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote