Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-31-2009, 06:18 AM   #1

Question Which Catalytic Converter

Hi there,
I have a 2001 Boxster w/ 81,000 miles. I recently had a p0430 code. Ouch:-((( I am out of warranty.
I also changed the MAF sensor last week and reset the codes and so far no CEL.
But, I know that the code might come back and I may need to get a new catalytic converter. I don't know anything about cats. So what would you recommend I do? When I looked for a new one online, I get huge variances in price (for direct fit - don't even know what that means to Fabspeed $$$$$).
My birthday is coming up in 2 months and if that's the cats, I have to fix it, I am SOL!
Thanks
Bob

babur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #2

It is seldom the converters themselves

more often a sensor or wiring.

The diagnostic to determine if it is really a cat is to replace the O2 sensor and then see if the problem goes away.

See if you can swap O2 sensors and does the problem follow the sensor or remain where the questionable sensor was? Swap pre-cat sensors first.

Any history of AOS problems? Checked the intake tubes for oil?
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #3

Hey Mike

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the term AOS and don't know how to check the intake tubes... I enjoy doing small DIY projects though: oil change, brake pads, etc.

No other known issues though with the car. My question is if it's indeed a cat converter issue, what should I be looking at, which brands, how much (I know it's $$$$$).

Thanks

Bob
babur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 12:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by babur
Hey Mike

Thanks for the response. Unfortunately I am not familiar with the term AOS and don't know how to check the intake tubes... I enjoy doing small DIY projects though: oil change, brake pads, etc.

No other known issues though with the car. My question is if it's indeed a cat converter issue, what should I be looking at, which brands, how much (I know it's $$$$$).

Thanks

Bob
The first thing you should do is to relax, and not worry so much just yet.

Lets not assume the issue is actually a convertor as of yet.
Just because the car through a code, doesn't mean for 100% certainty that the convertor is the cause.

If it was my car, I would first start by switching the O2 sensors from the right side, to the left side, and the ones in the left side then go over to the right side.

After the O2 sensors have switched sides, I would then drive the car normally for a while to see if the CEL comes back on. If the light doesn't come back on, then everything is great.

If the light does come back on, then I would do more investigative work.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:30 AM   #5

I can sell you both my stock cats that are in good condition for 200 shipped (riveralc@saic.com).

BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote