Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #21

I took a ride in my bosses Boxster S about a year and a half ago. He definitely drives it like it was meant to be driven. Didn't realize it would be so much fun at such a reasonable price. Started slowly looking on craigslist for my own not long after that. About four months later the wife had warmed up to the idea and I had found the low mileage car that I was looking for. I've been driving it for a year now and still catch myself grinning. My seven year old son loves it. Friends and family have gotten a thrill out of driving it. Just great fun, especially for a guy generally not interested in cars. Couldn't have picked a better year to buy a rag top. This summer was incredible in Seattle. I put 7,500 miles on it in the last year. I"m still sneaking it out on dry days.
Next up is to join the Porsche club and take a course on how to drive it better.

Hard to imagine not having a P car now. I'm hooked.

2000 Boxster S
Ocean Blue, Black Interior, Black Top
60,000 miles
alvinlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 AM   #22

Ive always dreamed of owning a Porsche. As a kid whenever one passed by my mom would point it out... and it made me want it even more. My moms always dreamed of owning a 911 and I guess the Porsche gene passed to me.

Heres a little snippet from an essay I just wrote for a stupid college Communications class... but since I got to chose the topic I wrote about getting my car...

"Thump, thump, thump. I think I'm going to have a heart attack. My heart, a raging demon trying to force its way out of its cage, is insatuable. This isn't happening. This can't be happening. There it is. A deep blue sapphire sparkling in the summer sun. Time seemed to fade away, everything became unfocused, and all my attention was on the blue beauty majestically driving towards me. Walter pulled up in the Porsche. The Porsche I travelled 500 miles to buy. The surreal moment passed and reality struck a heavy blow. This is my Porsche. "

I was 16 years old and the date was June 23rd, 2006 I bought my car and drove it 500 miles home with the top down, the radio blasting, rocking my $400 Oakleys. It too me 9 months to find the right car and just as long to convince my mother. Leave it to her I would have ended up with a 1989 red Firebird V8 or a 2000 black mustang base. Im glad I kept at it.

Since buying the car, I worked at the number 1 volume Chevrolet dealership in the entire midwest. Ive drivin' almost everything you can imagine other than a ferrari, lambo, bugatti, and rolls.

I made the right choice because nothing feels life my 1997 boxster and nothing makes me smile more. Ive already sold myself on never not owning a Porsche no matter where I am in life.

Last edited by PlayersExpress; 10-31-2009 at 01:38 AM.
PlayersExpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 02:32 AM   #23

It was Christmas day, 25th December 1998 and my cousin had picked up his brand new boxster earlier that week. We went for a drive that evening, first as a passenger then he let me drive.

I was amazed!

At the time I was 17 and driving a big V8, great in the straight line but handling was nothing like a mid-engined sports car. So my cousin takes this long sweeping bend, and I am actually quite frightened as I am expecting him to slide the car and I hope he is a good enough driver to catch it. Well there was no slide to speak of, the car felt like it was on rails. It was at that moment I knew I had to have one.

Fast forward 10 years and I can finally afford to buy one (these cars are quite expensive in Australia). I got my 2000 Boxster S April last year and I love driving it.
Daniel R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #24

first porsche

I liked them since I was a little kid ,though the first porsche I bought was a mint 1987 944 that was in 1995 ,I was 23 at the time ,that led to a 90 944 s2 cab,and a 84 911 cab ,now I have a 98 boxster and a 72 914

Last edited by rd400rz; 11-03-2009 at 06:58 PM.
rd400rz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 08:35 PM   #25

My first was a 914 in 1978, that was owned by a doctor who had the shop I worked at modify. Later I also got to drive a 911 turbo and a 911 targa which belonged to my cousin . I never forgot how it felt driving a Porsche and only test drove my Boxster around the dealer's lot and I was hooked. I bought it in late June and already put about 7k miles on it in seven different states.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:04 PM   #26

My first experience being in a Porsche was the very Boxster I own.
Before then any "real" experience I had was watching a 911 here and there and watching all the reviews.

The guy selling it started her up, and I feel in love with the deep purr of it idling. Then he took me to the main road and blasted it down, 70 degrees outside with the top down and the wind in your hair (was my first time in a real convertible as well) was what won me over. Soon after I bought it.

I wouldn't say it's the best Boxster to own, it's riddled with faults but I still love getting into it every morning, brings back the same emotion every time.
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM   #27

1961 356b

My '63 Corvette Stingray Convertible was stolen in 1965. I ran across a cream colored 356 1600 Coupe while visiting at home and drove it back to SD where I was stationed. The first winter in SD with a 356 was a real learning experience. It wouldn't start after sitting out in bitter cold wx until it was warmed up for a whole day in a gas station garage. The heater was a joke- on me. The engine used so much oil I had to add a quart every 100 miles. The oil bypassing the valves ended up coating the windshield. I drove with one hand on the wheel and the other with a rag wiping the inside of the windshield. After going to Vietnam, I had my dad sell it. Damn, wish I had it now. It was the only car I ever learned to adjust the valves. For all the problems it gave me, (just rememberd driving in SD crosswinds) it was a joy to drive.
s2kguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 05:58 AM   #28

Talking

my neighbor had a ratty speedster back in the early 70s. they were pretty inexpensive then. this in a town of 2000 in iowa. my first to own was a early 924.
got it from a friend of a friend from texas. it was beat. the odometer had quit at 80,000. carpets all faded and various mechanical problems. but it was still cool and fun to drive. got lots of attention. not very fast tho. from there I found and early intermeccanica speedster and drove it for years as a daily driver. sold it and years later went looking again and found it for sale in hemmings so I bought it back. later sold it and bought an intermeccanina convertible D. that was a cool car too.
went looking again and decided to get the real deal this time. the cost of a replica 356 is now equal to what I got my 2002 boxster for. this makes all of my motoring moments happy
02box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:03 AM   #29

My first ride (I was 17 at the time) was in a silver Carrera of some sort. I'm sure it was top of the line since it was driven by my sister's boyfriend at the time - O.K. folks, remember the Wayback Machine? - Kirt Knight, the place kicker for the Washinton Redskins. He scared the ******************** out of me, but I realized, going around an exit ramp marke 35 mph at about 70 mph or so, that this thing certainly gripped the road!!