Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2005, 10:19 AM   #1

Front license plate

Saturday, I was stopped in my recently purchaased '99. State trooper asks if there is any reason that I don't have a front plate. Responded that it did not have one when I bought it, he let me go w/ a warning. Turns out the plate was in with the spare. Question: How many of you drive without a front plate? Car looks much better without it, but next time it will cost me $100!!!

J. Tucker
'99 Arctic Silver Spt Pkg

jtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:24 AM   #2

I'm taking mine off and probably putting in bumper plugs. We luckily don't have front plates in PA.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 10:53 AM   #3

Talking

This depends on the state. $50 find in CA, unevenly enforced. About 3/4 of my cars come through w/o a plate.

Do you like to roll the dice?

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtucker
Saturday, I was stopped in my recently purchaased '99. State trooper asks if there is any reason that I don't have a front plate. Responded that it did not have one when I bought it, he let me go w/ a warning. Turns out the plate was in with the spare. Question: How many of you drive without a front plate? Car looks much better without it, but next time it will cost me $100!!!

J. Tucker
'99 Arctic Silver Spt Pkg
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:18 AM   #4

I don't have mine on either. Been stopped twice and let go with a warning too because I told him my car didn't come with the nounting bracket. I just can't bring myself to put it on.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 11:39 AM   #5

Don't have the plates either, I know in MA it is not manddatory..

Looks tons better if you ask me.....
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 PM   #6

This would make a good poll for a new thread.

I don't have one on my Texas Boxster and I should by law. It's just ugly.

I was stopped three months ago and given a warning by a Texas Highway Patrol officer.

Frankly, I think they stop sports cars without them because they know we speed and they are trained to use the front plate as a radar/laser/pop target.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:32 PM   #7

I was pulled over for this about two weeks ago. $65 fine in Missouri. Using the power of the internet I was able to look up all the tickets that "my" particular officer gave out that day and low and behold about 60% of them were for nothing but "No Front Plate." I was pissed, mainly because this is obliviously not a cop who is out to "protect and serve” just "harass and fine." Of the other tickets, 39% where identically worded “61 in a 45” speeding tickets. Interesting stuff when you look at the data at a whole. Too bad I am part of the statistics. BTW I was easily going 10 under when he pulled me over.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:33 PM   #8

I live in Texas too. My '01 didn't have a front plate either. I keep waiting to get stopped, but thus far I haven't been. I don't even have the mount setup, so I picked up most of it off of eBay, but don't have the bolts and spacers that go thru the front bumper. If anyone wants to sell theirs, let me know.

I'll leave it off until it becomes a problem with the authorities. I think it looks much better without it.

:dance: I still think this dancing guy is cool.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 12:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by QporscheQ
Using the power of the internet I was able to look up all the tickets that "my" particular officer gave out that day and low and behold about 60% of them were for nothing but "No Front Plate."
That is very interesting. What did you use to look up what the officer wrote that day? I wonder if it works in all states.
PoPo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:01 PM   #10

I got the ticket in Maryland Heights MO. The Town's website lets you pay tickets on the internet.

https://mh6.marylandheights.com/courtpay/

There is no sort of log in or anything, all you have to do is type in the number on the top of your ticket and it tells you the fine. So I just started typing in all the numbers around my ticket. Id tell you to type in my ticket number to check it out, but after I paid the fine the ticket was removed from the system. If you want to play around with it and see what people got busted for trying replacing the XXs below with various numbers?

0416478XX
Old 03-08-2005, 05:48 PM   #11

Send a message via AIM to St. Louis Boxster
QPorscheQ I just got my first "porsche profiling" speeding ticket in Ferguson, MO. I was going 78 in a 65 zone along with 30 other cars. I can nailed out of the middle of the pack. However, no front plate on my Box and the cop didn't say a word. I also got a big Yukon Denali and have cruised that part of I-270 a thousand times going 75 to 80 and ever got even a glance from a cop.

"PORSCHE PROFILING IS ALIVE IN THE STL"

Gus
Old 03-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #12

In NY City traffic force is an army of revenue enhancement for the city. They dont need many new reasons to ticket you. From parking too far from the curb, no license plate, if the license plate logo is covered. These are some of the more inventive ways that these leeches collect our moneys for the city coffers. Think of it like a daily tax contribution.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:44 PM   #13

$100 for no plate is better than $300 in insurance hikes for a lazer administered speeding ticket made possible by the presence of your front license plate.

let me get this straight...you want me to help you make my Boxster easier to spot with your lazer gun?
Forget it....this Boxster will never know a front license plate.

p.s. anyone use that laser veil paint on the headlights?
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:32 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Louis Boxster

"PORSCHE PROFILING IS ALIVE IN THE STL"

Gus

Sucks, But I know what you mean. I saw a cop once blow by me go around 6 cars and pull over a 350Z who was going just as fast as everyone else. I had slowed down because my radar detector had gone off, no one else did. It was pretty blatant if you ask me. It was right around were you said you got pulled. I felt bad for the guy, as soon as I saw the cop’s lights go on I thought, “oh man, that 350 guy is screwed” Had I not slowed down, I’m sure it would have been me, and some guy on a www.350zforum.com would have been telling a story about how some guy in a Boxster got pulled over.

I've had conversations with people along the lines of "you have a radar detector, is that so you can break the law . . . yada . . .yada . . . preach . . preach" I’m sure most of you guys have too. This is precisely the reason, I don’t drive 130mph every day, I drive like a normal person, about 10-15 over on the highway. At least I feel with the detector I have some protection from overzealous cops who always pull the nicest car in the bunch over. However, when I got that No Front Plate ticket, my detector had been going off for at least a minute, and well I still got pulled over. I guess sometimes you just can’t win.

Last edited by QporscheQ; 03-09-2005 at 05:42 AM.
QporscheQ is offline   Reply With Quote