986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   New 987 Owner (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22605-new-987-owner.html)

ryanpw3 10-28-2009 05:06 PM

New 987 Owner

Hi All,

Just wanted to say hi and post a pic. I'll work on some better pics in the future, but I bought this while in Dallas on a whim back in August. I absolutely love it and it has been nothing but fun. I'm using it as my daily driver to / from work. The dealer let me know it was a brass hat return so I am technically the original owner. 4K miles with an original sticker of $56,700. I got it for $40,300. Not sure if it's a good deal or not given that it's my first Porsche and I'm still learning, but I'm happy with it and hope it's a keeper for a while!

I know this is kind of open eneded, but as a new owner is there anything that sticks in your mind that is good for me to know based on the experience you had with your first Porsche?

Thanks!

clickman 10-28-2009 07:36 PM

What's a "brass hat return"?

vath2001 10-29-2009 02:24 AM

Brass Hat??? Hass Brat??

sd_boxster 10-29-2009 03:54 AM

Don't you people Google? :D

Slang. A high-ranking military officer. A high-ranking civilian official.

Quote:

Originally Posted by clickman
What's a "brass hat return"?

ryanpw3 10-29-2009 05:36 AM

Often times, auto makers give use of their cars to managers and executives once they reach a certain level in the company. They drive them for a certain amount of months or miles, and then the car is sold through a dealership. I've purchased two cars like this now, and both times it has been referred to as a Brass Hat vehicle.

sd_boxster 10-29-2009 06:04 AM

Sounds like a clever way to take depreciation as a loss in a single calendar year instead of having to amortize it.

Also sounds like a great way for you to score a nice Boxster. Congrats!

S or non-S?

ryanpw3 10-29-2009 07:46 AM

That's a great point. I'm hoping I got a good deal. Unfortunately it's not an S. They had one other brass hat S there (for 6K more), but it was sold as I was traveling down to look at both of them, so it made the choice rather simple for me. It was also eligible for the 1.9% offer, so I couldn't pass it up.

gschotland 10-29-2009 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanpw3
Often times, auto makers give use of their cars to managers and executives once they reach a certain level in the company. They drive them for a certain amount of months or miles, and then the car is sold through a dealership. I've purchased two cars like this now, and both times it has been referred to as a Brass Hat vehicle.

They're known around these parts as "executive cars."

husker boxster 10-29-2009 06:12 PM

Welcome and congrats!

Has the oil been changed? If not, you should take care of that. IMS failure may be linked to long intervals between oil changes. There's no std mileage but it should be changed between 5k-7.5k miles (whatever you feel comfortable with), or annually if driven fewer miles per yr. If the brass hat had it for a yr, you should change the oil.

What dealer did you purchase it from? I bought my first box from Boardwalk in Plano. They were excellent to deal with.

ryanpw3 10-30-2009 06:32 AM

Thanks! Yes, the oil was changed when I took delivery of the car. I plan on changing again at 12k. I bought mine at Park Place in Dallas.