Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 04:14 AM   #41

Talking Permagrin defined

So last weekend I was on a top-down trip to Stuttgart (getting harder to do, now that summer is over) with my wife in the right seat. Halfway into a tunnel, I came up on a slow Audi TT, dropped from 6th to 3rd and redlined in 3rd, 4th and 5th, before letting off and settling back into the "slow"lane.

The growl of the '01 S exhaust, echoing in the tunnel, the looks from the TT driver, the burst into the blinding green German countryside all combined for an incredible experience.

I looked over to apologize for my moment of indiscretion, but found my wife's grin bigger than my own!

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:20 PM   #42
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
This is a bit less the thrill of the car, but the thrill of the Porsche community!

I just got my car back from the mechanic because my AC blower sounded like it was going, and I needed an airbag light reset. I was quoted $700 to replace the AC blower, so I searched for information about it and found a DIY guide to replacing it yourself, but I also found out that insulation commonly gets stuck there and causes noise.

So I followed the directions and 20 minutes later I had my car reassembled, less a piece of foam that was stuck in the blower. It took me 20 minutes to save $700 because the online Porsche community is so helpful!
People like everyone on 986forum are the best part of having a Boxster!

If anyone else has a problem with their AC Blower, here is a link to the DIY:
http://sites.google.com/site/mikefocke2/hvacblowermotor

Last edited by rick3000; 11-05-2010 at 06:25 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:48 AM   #43
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
It took me 20 minutes to save $700 because the online Porsche community is so helpful!
People like everyone on 986forum are the best part of having a Boxster!
Rick, I totally agree. Between this forum, Renntech, and people like Pedro, Mike Focke, and Jake Raby there's a wealth of information from very knowledgeable people sharing information. Honest helpful people.
One of my project cars is an old Cosworth Vega and there is only one Cosworth Vega forum and in general they're helpful but on many subjects they refer you to the Cosworth Vega Owners Association which is a paid member site and they will not share any information unless you're a current member. I've found more snooty people on a friggin Vega forum than on most Porsche forums! I refuse to join some elitist club who single handedly control a particular car parts market just to maintain my car. It's unfortunate because it's a cool little car but I do my own research and track down parts by other means. BTW, the Vega is for sale.

I'm so glad there are options for the Porsche cars and is supported by cool people.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM   #44

This is a bit less the thrill of the car, but the thrill of the Porsche community! The growl of the '01 S exhaust, echoing in the tunnel, the looks from the TT driver, the burst into the blinding green German countryside all combined for an incredible experience. Every time I drive it there is a moment when I have a huge smile on my face I can't control.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:08 PM   #45

When I drive my '04 Box on the tight and twisty roads in the nearby foothills, it's like
riding the Matterhorn at Disneyland......Except no line, and I can have all the time I
want.

Nirvana!
Beelzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 05:55 AM   #46

Talking dont tell the wifey...or the local police...

every once in a blue moon, i drive next to the airport on the island and try to wait until a plane starts to take off.....think top gun!!!!!no I dont beat the plane, but it is a run that really gets the juices flowing!!!!

i love my boxie!!!!!!
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 06:00 AM   #47

oohhh and don't forget

i was running around 100 on I-95 the other day and had a ga state patrol ride up on my bumper...I thought I was cooked for sure...then he pulled up next to me in one of the suped-up chargers, started at me and then reved his unit up....I knew better but I had to do it!!!!(nice to be able to pay tickets, however in Ga there is the super speeder ticket with the fine being no less the 350 bucks plus the fine that already comes with it..) We both took off like a shot and ran about 3 miles before he let off and gave me a finger wag to let me know it was done....I slowed down and he punched it....he was indeed gone in 60 secs. but I did have some fun...and no, I wont do it again, but darnit...it was a trill!!!!
J'sboxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 11:21 AM   #48

Garage
Met this girl this past summer. Found she drives a mustang GT 40th anniversary edition. Cool the chick is a car buff. BUT everytime we go out or on a date we take my car....which is good. I offered more than a few times to let her take the mustang out...but she refuses and says she would rather be in the boxster. Not complaining. .just find it funny.....Then I asked her if she'd like to learn to drive a manual......big smile & said yes....
Old 12-08-2010, 03:50 PM   #49
Certified Boxster Addict

Driving home yesterday from work with the top down in 72F clear and sunny weather! (I love LA).
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:59 PM   #50
Carnut

I'm not alone!!!
Old 12-09-2010, 12:46 AM   #51

Must be nice. I had to dig out of 4" of new snow this morning! Autobahns were clear though, so I still hit 100 on the way to work

2001 S Speed Yellow, matching interior, German Plates!!
Iflylow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 07:44 AM   #52

Just finished Over 30 bags of leaves while staring at my car under a cover. Well the cover is off and I'm going for a drive to bestbuy. As long as there is no snow here yet. I'm driving. Advice: be careful if you still have summer rubber on. My car is like on ice in first and second
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 10:31 AM   #53

Question Canadian Bullrun

Did anybody else come across this yet? www.canadianbullrun.com

It looks like a fun time but I was wondering if anybody else has done it in the past. I would love to take my porsche on a organized run and having a party every night with a bunch of gear heads. So, has anybody heard about this or done this in the past? Let me know...
959porsche959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 12:17 PM   #54
kpm

I had to move the Boxster out of the garage today so the Mrs. could put away the Christmas decorations. I noticed that it needed gas so we took it to fill it up and then for a little ride since the roads were dry.

We took MD 450 to Annapolis for the twisty bits, and then US 50 for the speedy bits.

As we hit the entrance ramp a white Cayman whizzed by in the fast lane...What's a guy to do ??

Wound 'er up and flew past the Cayman, that's what you do !!

Oh, the Cayman was on a test drive. I noticed the dealer tag as we flew past, grinning from ear to ear !
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #55

You probably just help sell a Cayman just then.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:51 AM   #56
kpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelojkt
You probably just help sell a Cayman just then.
Hopefully he went back and took the red or blue Boxster for a test drive !
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 AM   #57

Garage
Several years ago I was employed as a press fleet management company test driver. The company I worked for warehoused an example of 80% of the new cars for sale in the U.S. It was my responsibility to test drive every vehicle before & after each magazine test to ensure each vehicle was in perfect condition for the evaluation. Being a lifelong musclecar enthusiast & engine builder I considered Porsches to be "glorified VWs" A few weeks into the job it was time to go thru the Porsche fleet. First up was a 996 C4, I loved the purposeful, aerodynamic lines inside & out. I was impressed with the engines power & sound, after all it's not 1970 anymore & this was about as good as it gets at the dawn of the 21st century. Next up was a base 2.7 Boxster, reminded me of my youth driving around my neighborhood in my 1st go-cart, lots of fun just not quite fast enough. Turbo!! WOW this is awesome!! , wish I had finished college now, but I can't live like this, not if I want to keep this job, & a drivers license. Boxster S, last but not least. It's the everyday adult go-cart you always wanted as a kid, seemingly endless handling capabilities & all the power you NEED & then some MORE! I am starting to feel like I am the greatest driver in the world! Was that a gafall that just came out of me? I have never laughed like that before. Well all good things must come to a end & after 9/11/2001 the companys profits fell & I was over qualified & overpaid in managements judgement & I went from valued asset to excessive cost in a few months so I quit the best job I ever had. I was happy to not have to deal with management any longer but I sure missed the Porsches so I bought the funnest device ever invented by man: 2000 Boxster S, zero options because it comes with everything you need & nothing you don't. It's like owning your own personal roller coaster with a remote control so you can stay on as long as you want & go as fast as you want!
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:58 PM   #58

Garage
'99 Boxster here. I travel every week for work. When I get home from a stressful week, just ripping down a single on-ramp in the Boxster melts all of that stress away and puts a smile on my face. God I love it!
Tieniber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #59

Not seeing any reason to let this die........ Permagrin. I love it. This is a top-down, no-way-not-to-have-fun car. If you don't have permagrin EVERY time you get out of your Boxster - then you need to sell it and get something more suited to you because if you're not enjoying your time behind the wheel of one of these it's you, not the car. AND it gets about 10 MPG more than my normal driver.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 08-11-2011 at 07:24 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #60

Where do I start?
Everything about the car makes me smile.
Everytime I start the engine, I smile.
Everytime I accelerate, I smile.
Everytime I go 100mph+, I shake with lots of excitment and my cheeks start to hurt from smiling too much.

But the best part is the steering feeback and sharpness. It turns so fast and easily.