Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2009, 12:25 AM   #1

I know this has been discussed b4 but I have to ask

Hello guys, I have a 2001 Boxster S with 33K on it. No performance mods, never tracked and driven occasionaly. So far I have had no problems with it but the last time it was on the lift I noticed some ( very little) oil gathered on near the bottom of the engine. Theres no leaks on the floor in the garage.

I know the whole RMS IMS deal that everyone talks about here but I dont know if I should change it now or wait till it gets worse or what.

I think the engine failure are a bit exaggerated or we just hear about the ones who fail. Im not saying it doesnt happen often.

So if you were me and didnt have money burning a hole in your pocket, would you change it now or wait a bit.

are there any signs to look for when its getting worse or does it just happen? My friends 996 was dripping oil in the garage before he decided to change the RMS, mine doesnt drip.

Also Im out of the country and the car has been sitting for 3 months, and I know not driving it is bad so im taking this into account too.

lastly for those who change the RMS/IMS. is it certain that it wont happen again?

I know this has been discussed before so I apologize for a redundant topic but your input would be appreciated.

Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Wait it out. I'm on my 3rd RMS....and it still leaks cause my car sits for long periods of time.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:15 AM   #3

same here:
I am on my 2nd RMS and I'll wait until it's time to change the clutch, at least I can kill two birds with one stone this way
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:22 AM   #4

It could also be the IMS, and waiting too long for that could be an issue...
Old 10-26-2009, 08:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunin_Stud
So if you were me and didnt have money burning a hole in your pocket, would you change it now or wait a bit.

are there any signs to look for when its getting worse or does it just happen? My friends 996 was dripping oil in the garage before he decided to change the RMS, mine doesnt drip.
Well, if you don't have money, you can't have it done, now can you?

The real issue, as most of us see it, is that none of us know where the oil is actually coming from on your engine. Is it coming from the RMS, or is it from the IMS seal? I don't know, nor do you.

This might be something that would be worth while for you to use your tax refund check on, if you don't already have something else earmarked for that money.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #6
pk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Wait it out. I'm on my 3rd RMS....and it still leaks cause my car sits for long periods of time.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZang
same here:
I am on my 2nd RMS and I'll wait until it's time to change the clutch, at least I can kill two birds with one stone this way
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm with "stunnin stud" (figuratively), read about the IMS horrors for years but not clear on the symptoms. How exactly do you catch It in time? What are the warning signs, (noise, a racket,etc...just an oil spot)? I was under the impression they didn't give much warning... they just let go.

Also, you guys have lived through multiple episodes, Did you replace them with the same stock item? To what do you attribute your streaks of bad luck? Sxxx luck, hard driving, other.

Regards, PK
Old 10-27-2009, 10:39 AM   #7

I think Im going to just drive it to my regular maintenance and replace it when I do my clutch or when it actualy leaks. Right now its not leaking and there is no oil spots just a little grease on the bottom of the car.

Its just frustrating to hear people spend thousands and change the IMS/RMS and have it occur again, or upgrade to a 3.4L and have it happen. I guess worse comes to worse my engine goes out and I need to buy a new car, I will just spend that money on a 3.8L

how much for a 3.8L? $20K
Gemballa front bumper/Aerokit I Sideskirts/H&R suspension/997 short shift/Schnell front&rear strut brace/Aluminum pedals and floor board//Traffic pro/Console Delete//LED exterior lighting//Exclusive Options Full Leather/19inch Ruf Wheels/European rear bumper with 550 mesh/Zientec spoiler/IPD Plenum//Cold Air Intake/Hardtop/Speedster Humps
Stunin_Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunin_Stud
Its just frustrating to hear people spend thousands and change the IMS/RMS and have it occur again, or upgrade to a 3.4L and have it happen.
Don't think anyone's had an IMS retrofit done and either had an engine failure or needed a second retrofit. Anyone...?

When I recently went in for my IMS retrofit at 69k miles the RMS was replaced (they were already in there anyway) even though it wasn't leaking. Amazingly it was the original seal. Some cars the RMS is a nightmare, others no problem at all.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #9

oh boy.....now you guys are mixing stuff up.....The IMS failures that cause engines to blow are different then when the RMS & IMS leak....It's a leak,not a big deal. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOU READ ABOUT ALL THESE ENGINES BLOWING....
Old 10-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
oh boy.....now you guys are mixing stuff up.....The IMS failures that cause engines to blow are different then when the RMS & IMS leak....It's a leak,not a big deal. IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH WHAT YOU READ ABOUT ALL THESE ENGINES BLOWING....
So an IMS leak has absolutely nothing to do with an IMS failure?

Oil leakage at the IMS can be from the flange bolts, but why couldn't it be because the bearing seal has failed? Which would be a disaster waiting to happen.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:51 PM   #11

A bolt snapping or shearing and a seal leaking are two different things.

I've had both RMS and IMS leak on my ride.
Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 PM   #12

I know, but oil leaking through the seal of a bearing that's supposed to be sealed seems like a good indication the bearing is on its way out.