Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 01:42 PM   #1

Exclamation 986 2003 Tiptronic question

I just recently got my 2003 986 with tiptronic
and i was driving it and i accidentally pressed the tiptronic button and even though I wasn't in the manual mode the gear shifted up. I wanted to know is there anyway to make the tiptronic buttons work when the car is in manual mode, so that if you dont press it by accident nothing happens.

pixlanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #2

No

Porsche changed the TIP function between my '99 and my '01 to make the TIP shift manually possible without being in manual mode.

I love it the way it is because I can see that I'm in a portion of road where downshifting makes sense where the TIP might not be able to see a half mile ahead like the driver can.

Don't recall ever upshifting it in auto mode though. Maybe because I'm used to the TIP.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 05:01 PM   #3

Garage
Pixlanish
You mean to say "In the automatic mode" right?

I've got a Tip also and I accidentally hit the switches all the time. My other vehicles have the radio controls on the wheel and I'm always trying to turn up the tunes and find myself shifting instead. Life's a ******************** when you can"t remember ********************!

I also hit the buttons sometimes when I'm turning the wheel hard.
Old 10-24-2009, 06:07 PM   #4

Yes thats what I meant
Old 10-25-2009, 04:38 PM   #5

you get used to it after a while. i still do it from time to time but not as often as i did when i first got the car. when i shift it's almost always on a corner and i've learned to keep my hands closer to the bumpouts on the steering wheel instead of near the buttons.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #6

yeah its always when im turning
i always feel that loss of power

if i press the button and somehow dont notice that i pressed it would the car shift to the proper gear on its own or will i have to do it.
Old 10-25-2009, 06:31 PM   #7

when you're in automatic mode and accidentally shift ( up or down ) the car goes into manual mode for 6 seconds, then shifts back to automatic mode. if you're in the wrong gear ( say 5th instead of 2nd ) the car will shift into the right gear. however if you're in 4th and move to 5th it'll likely stay in 5 until 4 is called for. it won't automatically shift into the gear you were in unless it feels it's warranted. manual is really just automatic with less intrusion. even in manual mode the car will shift if it's required, like when you hit the rev limiter or when you've slowed down too much for the gear you're in. it will not however downshift if you floor the pedal like it will in automatic mode.

Last edited by tonycarreon; 10-25-2009 at 06:34 PM.
tonycarreon is offline   Reply With Quote