Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2009, 08:54 AM   #1

Help with OBD2 Code P 2096

I have just downloaded the following OBD 2 code : P2096 ( Post catalyst fuel trim system to lean bank 1 ) from my 2003 3.2 S which had just illuminated the CEL. No other codes and no pending codes. Car continues to start and run sweet as without any obvious signs of a problem.

I have researched boxster codes and can't find anything numerically above P1900's. ( ie first digit "zero" for generic and "one" for manufacturer specific.)

I read somewhere that sometimes generic codes have to be cross referenced with a porsche OBD2 manual for full understanding of underlying fault. Where can I get this information and / or does Bentleys contain an exhaustive list or just the most commonly used.

A slightly vague 996/ 997 thread suggested that this is simply an advanced indication of an ageing rear O2 sensor (on its way out). Hence reset CEL and continue to run the car. If it reoccurs then change O2 sensor.

As always thanks for your technical prowess !

sab69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:59 AM   #2

found this on 6speed:

P2096
Signal Delay Time for Oxygen Sensor Ageing Limit
Diagnosis conditions
• Oxygen sensing after TWC is active
• No secondary air
• No diagnosis of secondary air system
• EVAP canister not highly loaded
• No faults in memory
Possible fault cause
♦ Oxygen sensor

Looks like he ended up having a failed catalytic converter and dealer replaced it under warranty.

stateofidleness is offline   Reply With Quote