Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 05:16 PM   #1
jdr

OEM tires and suggested replacements

Just purchased 99 Boxster with 19,100 miles. Tires are Continental 205/50/17front, 255/40/17's rear, tread looks good but worried that we are driving on 10 yr old tires!
What brand tires were shipped on a 99 models?

Would appreciate anyone's input on suggestions for tires.
We only intend to drive in summer months and just for special occasions - no racing, but may try the "tail of dragon" someday.

Thanks everyone
We are really excited about being a Porche owners!

jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #2

Garage
im not a hundred percent sure but maybe michelin sports but now those are replaced by the PS2's

oh btw congrats and im excited for you! ive had mine for a month or two now and im still stoked! :dance:
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:37 PM   #3

Nice looking car!

I'm currently running Bridgestone RE050A Pole Postions -- absolutely love them! Amazing grip in wet or dry. Supposedly terrible in the snow, but I won't try that anyway.

More info at Tire Rack: RE050A tires

I'm sure there are several other good tires to choose from...
Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 05:59 PM   #4

I have the Pirellis on mine...they are the ones called "N3"s. they were OEM on the 2000 boxsters..like mine. I have run them and love them. mine are 18s..but i'm sure you can get them in 17s.

a 1999 and only 19k miles! wow. car must look like new! enjoy! these cars are so much fun!!! i've only had mine about a year and am still loving it!
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #5

Nice '99! My '01 came with Pilot Sports in the same sizes as yours. When I acquired the car last summer, I too switched out the original tires at 12k miles and 50% tread for the sake of safety. I replaced them with the Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, which is a slight step down in ultimate grip but a step up in ride comfort and longevity. Didn't mean to do that exactly, but a rebate was calling my name... not to say that they aren't fun, just that they aren't quite as sharp as the old Pllot Sports.
Samson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 AM   #6

Great looking ride, congrats and welcome!

Lots of choices regarding new tires but know you can easily spending upwards of $1200+. Yes there are great less expensive options too! Before you head down to throw $$ into buying new tires needlessly, why not see if they truly are 10-11 years old. Just read the mfg date code on the side:

or

TireRack.com Tech Info - How to Determine Tire Age Here

The modding bug usually starts w/ "just" new tires...

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:20 AM   #7

Mine had Pilot sports, but I switched to Sumitomo III (not II). there is a thread about them. I love these tires so far 3k miles. The only negative is they flatten out overnight and take about 1 to 1 1/2 miles to get back to normal. Oh did I mention they were $700 installed (all 4)? They grip, the ride is good, and wear so far looks real good. Oh did I mention they were $700 installed? They got great reviews from all the car magazines and I haven't seen a negative article yet.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr
Would appreciate anyone's input on suggestions for tires.
We only intend to drive in summer months and just for special occasions - no racing, but may try the "tail of dragon" someday.
Well, what type of roads are you planning on driving on?
Do you want to have longer life, or greater grip, or better wet weather performance?

I'm using Falken Azenis RT-615 on my '98 in 225/45-17 and 255/40-17 sizes.
I needed a tire that offered great grip for the track and the mountains here in Colorado. Wet weather performance is decent.

I went for the larger front tires because of how much the front tires were being torn up on the edges on the track. The wider front tire doesn't roll onto the sidewall anymore, and I have considerably more grip, and the front end of the car no longer understeers through the hairpins on the track.

Enjoy the car!

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM   #9

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Pirelli&tireModel=PZero+Rosso&frontTire=05ZR70ARN3&rearTire=54ZR70ARN3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes

This is what Tire Rack suggests as OEM replacement. They have the Porsche N rating stamp. I have a set. They are pricey, but perform well.

1997 E36 M3/4/5
http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/w...ygug/arial.jpg
gerrygug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 PM   #10

AAhhhh a tire thread!!!
The car has 10 year old tires? OK if your a '88 Ford F150 around the farm, but a Boxster needs rubber. And don't drive it for "special occasions"... drive like the Dr meant.... like you stole it.

And welcome : )
Old 10-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #11

I've been using Toyo Proxes 4's on both my Boxster ( it came with them ) and my 964 ( I put them on ). They seam to do a good job everywhere, as well as seam to be rather long lasting. Just my .02.
941MXVET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:16 PM   #12
jdr

Thanks

Thanks to everyone for their input. Thanks to Burg Boxster for the lesson on determining tire age. My tires are Continental ContiSport. The stamp says
"DOT CUT 1 P1B7" " Made in Germany".

If I assume the DOT stamp is the date then these would be 1997 tires on a 1999??.
They still have over 5/32nd tread. Porsche dealer says I need to look for an oval stamp on inside of tire to be sure.

We'll see what they find. $1100 for new shoes doesn't bother us, we just don't want to arbitrarily throw away good tires

Thanks again.
jdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM   #13

Just my $.02 but if you plan on doing any performance driving, while not cheap, I would recommend the Michelin PS2's, smooth, quiet and great performance.

Tires are like opinions...wait or is that ****************************s...or is it...anyway good luck with your decision.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:13 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr
Thanks to everyone for their input. Thanks to Burg Boxster for the lesson on determining tire age. My tires are Continental ContiSport. The stamp says
"DOT CUT 1 P1B7" " Made in Germany".

If I assume the DOT stamp is the date then these would be 1997 tires on a 1999??.
They still have over 5/32nd tread. Porsche dealer says I need to look for an oval stamp on inside of tire to be sure.

We'll see what they find. $1100 for new shoes doesn't bother us, we just don't want to arbitrarily throw away good tires

Thanks again.
Look again.
What you wrote isn't the date stamp.

Look at the pictures that were posted earlier in this thread, and you will know what to look for.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote