986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Hit & Run...weeks before trading in (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22510-hit-run-weeks-before-trading.html)

peakpro 10-20-2009 08:59 AM

Hit & Run...weeks before trading in

I have a 05 boxster S and have been in discussions with a dealer or two about trading it in for a new 09 with PDK. (I'm getting older and the traffic is getting worse and the PDK gets great reviews)

Anyway..I was given some numbers on my boxster and was deciding whether or not to try to sell it myself first.

Well this past weekend someone hits me in a parking lot and I'm now left with about 3K in damages to the rear side panel.

I have not said anything to the dealer yet

Obviously this is not good but what should I expect once I tell the dealer.

If I try to sell it myself I would of course disclose it but whats an discount worth?

Bladecutter 10-20-2009 09:07 AM

Has your insurance company paid to have the repairs made?
If not, make sure you find the best Porsche shop that you can, and get the damage repaired as best as you can.

When your car goes in for the appraisal for the trade in, they will value the car at whatever they are going to appraise it at. You can guarantee that no matter what, it won't be in your favor, accident or no accident.

BC.

peakpro 10-20-2009 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bladecutter
Has your insurance company paid to have the repairs made?
If not, make sure you find the best Porsche shop that you can, and get the damage repaired as best as you can.

When your car goes in for the appraisal for the trade in, they will value the car at whatever they are going to appraise it at. You can guarantee that no matter what, it won't be in your favor, accident or no accident.

BC.

Yes...insurance will pay and they will let me take it to palce of my chosing. Shop specializes in porsches.

mptoledo 10-20-2009 05:26 PM

I wouldn't worry about telling the dealer anything!! As 1st rule of cars, Never, Ever trade a car in. You will lose a "minimum" of $3,000 and more like $5k to $7k. There are few exceptions unless the dealer is an idiot. I say this having been in car sales for over a decade and a New car sales manager at a Porsche, Bmw, Jeep ..... Dealership.

Here is the easiest way to sell a car.
1.) list it on these boards. Be honest about its history as we have access to all your previous posts. (It sounds like you are very honest anyways ;)
2.) find the closest largest city and advertise it in their paper ($30-$50). Don't list your personal phone or address(buy a walmart prepaid phone for $20 if you have to). Meet them somewhere populated preferably near a cop shop and have a friend follow you if possible. The bank can help you with your paperwork if you don't own it out right. The paperwork is fairly easy as you need an odometer statement and title (in ohio).

I have sold at least 8 of my previous cars using method 2. I know it seems so easy to just drive into a dealership and do a trade, but You are throwing away money. At max $75 invested can return you easily $3k. I would really try to avoid selling a car to a friend as it will most likely come back to bite you in the ass. Trust me I learned that one the hard way.

peakpro 10-20-2009 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mptoledo
I wouldn't worry about telling the dealer anything!! As 1st rule of cars, Never, Ever trade a car in. You will lose a "minimum" of $3,000 and more like $5k to $7k. There are few exceptions unless the dealer is an idiot. I say this having been in car sales for over a decade and a New car sales manager at a Porsche, Bmw, Jeep ..... Dealership.

Here is the easiest way to sell a car.
1.) list it on these boards. Be honest about its history as we have access to all your previous posts. (It sounds like you are very honest anyways ;)
2.) find the closest largest city and advertise it in their paper ($30-$50). Don't list your personal phone or address(buy a walmart prepaid phone for $20 if you have to). Meet them somewhere populated preferably near a cop shop and have a friend follow you if possible. The bank can help you with your paperwork if you don't own it out right. The paperwork is fairly easy as you need an odometer statement and title (in ohio).

I have sold at least 8 of my previous cars using method 2. I know it seems so easy to just drive into a dealership and do a trade, but You are throwing away money. At max $75 invested can return you easily $3k. I would really try to avoid selling a car to a friend as it will most likely come back to bite you in the ass. Trust me I learned that one the hard way.

great info...thank you.