986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Pentosin coolant v. Porsche coolant (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22500-pentosin-coolant-v-porsche-coolant.html)

Samson 10-19-2009 08:34 AM

Pentosin coolant v. Porsche coolant

I searched and searched for the answer to my question (and probably missed), but couldn't find anything concrete.

I'm going to flush the cooling system on my '01 soon. It has the original factory fill (forget the color) and 19k miles. Porsche coolant is $23/gallon at Suncoast and Pentosin is $12/gallon from many sources.

Say I drain the coolant, run some distilled water in the system until warm, drain that, then fill with new 50/50 coolant/distilled. What coolant should I use? They are both recommended. It's not that the $20 is going to break me, but I don't like wasting money, and that $20 will buy beer. I suppose my real question is has anybody used Pentosin coolant? If so, have you had any problems?

Thanks! :cheers:

JFP in PA 10-19-2009 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samson
I searched and searched for the answer to my question (and probably missed), but couldn't find anything concrete.

I'm going to flush the cooling system on my '01 soon. It has the original factory fill (forget the color) and 19k miles. Porsche coolant is $23/gallon at Suncoast and Pentosin is $12/gallon from many sources.

Say I drain the coolant, run some distilled water in the system until warm, drain that, then fill with new 50/50 coolant/distilled. What coolant should I use? They are both recommended. It's not that the $20 is going to break me, but I don't like wasting money, and that $20 will buy beer. I suppose my real question is has anybody used Pentosin coolant? If so, have you had any problems?

Thanks! :cheers:

Exactly how many times has this question been asked and answered?

Samson 10-19-2009 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Exactly how many times has this question been asked and answered?

Ok then, Mr. Bright Red text, if it's been answered so many times, show me and I'll admit defeat. There have been many threads, but no clear answers from actual users of the product(s) that I could find. There were several containing information about normal auto parts store brands, but nothing specific to Pentosin.

I'm not looking for Porsche "approved" coolants, by the way.

JFP in PA 10-19-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Ok then, Mr. Bright Red text, if it's been answered so many times, show me and I'll admit defeat. There have been many threads, but no clear answers from actual users of the product(s) that I could find. There were several containing information about normal auto parts store brands, but nothing specific to Pentosin.

I'm not looking for Porsche "approved" coolants, by the way.

In that case, use whatever you want.................

And, by-the-by, when I searched for the use of that brand, I found multiple threads containing information…………………..

Samson 10-19-2009 09:35 AM

So then, you couldn't find an answer to this question that's been asked so many times. Cool.

To ask another way, and hopefully this will result in a helpful response: will using Pentosin coolant harm/gel/generally screw up the cooling system if it's flushed in the way I listed earlier?

JFP in PA 10-19-2009 09:37 AM

Quote:

So then, you couldn't find an answer to this question that's been asked so many times. Cool.

To ask another way, and hopefully this will result in a helpful response: will using Pentosin coolant harm/gel/generally screw up the cooling system if it's flushed in the way I listed earlier?

In that case, use whatever you want.................

And, by-the-by, when I searched for the use of that brand, I found multiple threads containing information…………………..

Samson 10-19-2009 09:42 AM

I found about three that actually contained information about coolant, and the information in those is pretty much limited to people thinking that Porsche coolant is rebranded Pentosin, but nothing more.

Did you find something different, or are you just being difficult out of boredom?

blinkwatt 10-19-2009 09:44 AM

Please stop using multiple colors when responding. It actually hurts my eyes.

JFP in PA 10-19-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

I found about three that actually contained information about coolant, and the information in those is pretty much limited to people thinking that Porsche coolant is rebranded Pentosin, but nothing more.

Did you find something different, or are you just being difficult out of boredom?

A couple that stated they had used it, others that said they knew of someone that used it……………”search” really is your friend…….

Lobo1186 10-19-2009 12:42 PM

it doesnt hurt just to answer his question either... some people (like myself) wouldnt mind knowing and when i see this thread and read through to find out someone just wanted to be a troll

على كل حال
"anyways"

according to Jmatta

"My Porsche shop uses Pentosin, which is Porsche approved and less than the stuff the dealer sells."

and blue2000s

" use Pentosin Lifetime myself, but they're all the same if they're on that list."

and here is a link to a page u can read bout it

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/antifreezeforyourboxster
:cheers: :dance:

Samson 10-19-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lobo1186
it doesnt hurt just to answer his question either... some people (like myself) wouldnt mind knowing and when i see this thread and read through to find out someone just wanted to be a troll

I completely forgot about mike.focke... thanks for the link!

Lobo1186 10-19-2009 02:44 PM

anytime :chicken:

jmatta 10-19-2009 02:49 PM

I was quoted in one of the posts, but I refilled my car with OEM stuff when I changed to the LN low temp t-stat. Even though my shop uses Pentosin, I just wanted the OEM stuff as the difference in price was negligible.

So I haven't helped your cause...

They also swear by Royal Purple, but that will cause a whole other uproar.

Lobo1186 10-19-2009 05:35 PM

sorry i misquoted you... kindof. but either way some people use it... it works

Topless 10-19-2009 09:18 PM

Related subject:
I recently replaced my coolant (Peak extended life) and the procedure for burping the air was a little scary. It took a long time to purge the air and things got a little too hot for my comfort zone...220+ but all ended well. This is definitely not like flushing the Toyota. Follow the instructions carefully.

Samson 10-20-2009 05:16 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered Pentosin for $12/gallon... added to my list of other maintenance to do in the next couple of weeks. Sweeeet.

If my car blows up, I'm blaming you, JFP in PA and your red font color.

JFP in PA 10-20-2009 06:17 AM

Quote:

You are totally on your own on this one…………….

jmatta 10-20-2009 03:59 PM

"the procedure for burping the air was a little scary"

When I changed mine, I followed the procedure on Pedro's site initially. I then drove the car to my WI home (approx 125 miles) with the bleeder valve open. Next morning when cool, I topped it off and closed the valve and it's been fine since.

Topless 10-20-2009 04:29 PM

Yes. After my initial concern I talked to Brad Roberts. He said "just leave the bail open and drive it around. Some cup cars never close the bail." That's what I did and after three days or so the coolant level was stable. It just freaked me during the initial air purge watching the temp climb. I know what happens if it pegs 250F... Hello Jake, have you got a motor for me? :(

After running a fleet of Toyotas for 30 years it just startled me how long it took to purge the air. All went according to plan though.

dallison 12-17-2009 04:22 AM

did you buy this locally or on the net? I am having trouble finding any coolant besides at the dealer.

Quote:

Thanks for the feedback. I just ordered Pentosin for $12/gallon... added to my list of other maintenance to do in the next couple of weeks. Sweeeet.