986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Boxster General Discussions (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/)
-   -   Rattle from engine, loss of coolant, burning smell? (http://986forum.com/forums/boxster-general-discussions/22477-rattle-engine-loss-coolant-burning-smell.html)

Stan_D 10-17-2009 01:51 PM

Rattle from engine, loss of coolant, burning smell?

Would appreciate some ideas on what this might be before I go to the mechanic next week:

1. Rattling noise coming from engine area noticeable when driving. No warning lights.
2. Got home: rattling noise louder on the right side of engine.
3. Burning smell from right side vent.
4. Next day: checked oil & coolant level. Coolant was low: put in 1.2 litres.
5. Coolant started to leak soon after refill, on the right side, under the engine.

Should I be worried or really really worried?

Thanks.

jhandy 10-17-2009 02:49 PM

check to see where it is leaking from. first reaction is the water pump berings or impeller.

a super bad clutch will burn and rattle. but nothing to do with the coolent.

bad Ims rattles, but wont smell burned, unless dripping oil from the rms. nothing to do with coolent.

thats all i got.....

Jake Raby 10-17-2009 02:49 PM

Water pump failure... Repair it before you crack a head or cylinder.

Stan_D 10-18-2009 01:07 PM

Thanks - hopefully its nothing more serious. Will post up what the mechanic diagnoses.

subsea 10-18-2009 05:00 PM

listen to jake

my water pump went 4 months ago.; exact symptoms.

Stan_D 11-10-2009 02:06 PM

Yes it was the water pump and cheap it aint!

vman 07-18-2011 12:18 PM

Ditto here. I had a rattling sound (started 2 days ago, barely noticeable but by next day on start up, it sounded horrible). I didn't lose coolant but my other symptoms were similar to the orginal poster.

I have 92k miles, cost to replace pump, tensioners, rollers and belts =$1460. I did not have my 90k servive done, the mechanic said the service would have disclosed the pending water pump problem, FWIW.

blue2000s 07-18-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vman
Ditto here. I had a rattling sound (started 2 days ago, barely noticeable but by next day on start up, it sounded horrible). I didn't lose coolant but my other symptoms were similar to the orginal poster.

I have 92k miles, cost to replace pump, tensioners, rollers and belts =$1460. I did not have my 90k servive done, the mechanic said the service would have disclosed the pending water pump problem, FWIW.

Yikes. You know that job is less than $300 if you do it yourself and replace the bearings instead of the entire roller and tensioner.