Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 AM   #1

Garage
Two coolant puddles on garage floor last night

Hi everyone. I have a my2000 S with 39k mi. in immaculate condition. Well much to my horror I saw two puddles of coolant under the front of the car last night. Both equidistant from each other on each side. I only get a chance to drive the car every couple of weeks or so. It had been very cold last week (in the 30s) and now it's much warmer (70'ish)..Could that have something to do with it?? I suspect that the extreme temp. change maybe made some hoses/clamps etc. contract and expand, and made it leak on the floor. I immediately checked the coolant level in the bottle in the trunk and it was good. I think it's only leaked this once in the garage.

Has anyone had this random leak problem up front towards the radiators?? I've read many posts about leaks at the rear of the car, i.e. water pumps and coolant reservoir cracked bottles etc. Has anyone had them puke out coolant at the front?? I couldn't get my fat head underneath the car last night to look up in there, so I don't have a clue as to where it's coming from???

thanks in advance!

sean

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 06:15 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanZ4
Hi everyone. I have a my2000 S with 39k mi. in immaculate condition. Well much to my horror I saw two puddles of coolant under the front of the car last night. Both equidistant from each other on each side. I only get a chance to drive the car every couple of weeks or so. It had been very cold last week (in the 30s) and now it's much warmer (70'ish)..Could that have something to do with it?? I suspect that the extreme temp. change maybe made some hoses/clamps etc. contract and expand, and made it leak on the floor. I immediately checked the coolant level in the bottle in the trunk and it was good. I think it's only leaked this once in the garage.

Has anyone had this random leak problem up front towards the radiators?? I've read many posts about leaks at the rear of the car, i.e. water pumps and coolant reservoir cracked bottles etc. Has anyone had them puke out coolant at the front?? I couldn't get my fat head underneath the car last night to look up in there, so I don't have a clue as to where it's coming from???

thanks in advance!

sean
Coolant leaks towards the front of the car are either the radiators or the rubber flex hoses connecting them to the system. Have you recently run the nose of your car up on a parking curb? This is a common way to crack the radiators in the Boxster…………
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #3

Are you sure it's coolant? Did you just wash the car? Could be plain water draining off the car's air intakes.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #4

Garage
Time to get on the short bus and go home.

Went back and smelled the towel I used to clean up the puddles. Didn't smell of antifreeze. It was dark under there last night so I just assumed it was coolant as it was directly under the radiators.

Flavor 987S, I DID wash the car Sunday evening and just put it directly into garage afterwards. I'm feeling pretty good that there's probably nothing overtly wrong with the car as I first thought. However, I'm feeling pretty stooopid for overlooking the obvious.

Thanks guys for replying.

sean

SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote