Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2007, 04:36 AM   #1

Feeling guilty for not driving my Boxster

Okay, I'm feeling guilty today... I only drive my Boxster on Friday's (during the week) unless it's going to rain. Well, it's going to rain tomorrow and I left her in the garage this morning. As I pulled out in my Audi I saw her sitting there looking sad... Here's the thing... I have about a dozen large pumpkins behind here waiting to be carved for the weekend. I was lazy and didn't want to move them. Now I can't drive her again until the weekend... I've only driven her a few times in the last few weeks.
Am I lame?

bmx672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:30 AM   #2
bmussatti

Yes!

JK!

I drive once a week too, when it is not raining, but I managed to do 10,000 miles since late April!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:03 AM   #3

bmx,

Yes you should be ashamed of yourself I drive mine unless the roads are wet, knowing that in a couple of months the roads will be covered in snow and salt and my poor little Boxster will be sitting in the garage on the charger Today is a beautiful day, and it is supposed to rain Friday and Saturday

Regarding the pumpkins, I have a one car garage so every morning I have to pull out two cars and park them in the street to get the Box out ( although we are planning on buying a new house next year with a three car garage ).

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:19 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I drive mine rain or shine!
How could you? And it is such a great car!
Old 10-25-2007, 06:26 AM   #5

Not me, I will spend more time cleaning it after a rain than I will driving it. Unless I get caught while out, my girl stays in the garage for sunny fridays, and nice weekends.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 06:30 AM   #6

Yeah, black cars and rain don't mix well - hence no more driving when the roads are wet ( although I doubt Ocean Blue is much better )

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #7

I know, I know... I have no excuses. It's so nice out today and I feel even worse now!
I'll make it up to her and drive her several times within the next week! Weather permitting... before she goes down for her 5 month nap.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:13 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Not me, I will spend more time cleaning it after a rain than I will driving it. Unless I get caught while out, my girl stays in the garage for sunny fridays, and nice weekends.
Yep, only drive her on Fridays and weekend if the weather is perfect.

Exactly....She will be driving tomorrow to work and then hopefully to the airport to pickup my daughter on Saturday. She is 11 and she hasn't seen it yet and she is definitely NOT spoiled (unlike my nephew --- see prior rant!) - so it should be fun!

meerzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #9

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
man, with that much drivig and the cost of insurance and cost of the car, you are better off just renting one once in a while.
fridays only if it doesnt rain?

i dont know, i wouldnt be able to do that at all, while i was waitig for my wheels to arrive (1 week) it was driving me crazy not being able to drive the porsche...i dont know how you can own one and not drive it. i drive mine in rain as well, but its got many layers of zaino, and when i get home car looks the same, no water spots whatsoever, but now that i got the leaf blower i can probably just hose all that water off anyways, but still even without anything, the worse thing is just the wheels.

but hey, you car and $, just doesnt seem like the smartest idea out there.

please, go drive that car before things stop functioning from sitting out 11 months out of the yer total
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:56 PM   #10

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Just drive it any day the weather is nice! Don't let it sit,that's when it seems like these cars start to develop problems. Look at it this way,you pay insurance on it 100% of the time,why wouldn't you drive it 100% of the time? Now there are times like when you have to be a shuttle for siblings/kids and need to haul big stuff around but otherwise put that foot to the floor in that thing!

I only put 6k on my 99' in two years,my only regret was not driving it more.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:13 PM   #11

I am alive to drive. And I'm a alive when it rains ... therefore I drive the P in the rain. In the winter ... I hate winter.
boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:48 PM   #12

Hmm, not the smartest? I put over 35k miles on three cars last year. If they were only on the porsche, the car would have 300,000 miles... It would have, therefore been replaced twice and wouldnt look nearly as good as it does now.

My first car is expensive to insure, after that, the rest are cheap. The porsche is actually the cheapest by far. I am not worried about that cost. I am not burning expensive tires or changing expensive oil either. The car, to me, is a pleasure vehicle. I stare at it, work on it, and play in it. I try to drive it weekly, like I said. Usually 3 days a week. But some weekends, I have hobbies and obligations that render the porsche useless. For day to day activities, it is completely impractical. It is also not a fun car to drive while sitting in daytime traffic. It is not what it is made for and I would rather it in my garage.

So to me, driving it everyday is "not the smartest idea" but hey, its my money.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:11 PM   #13

you're not lame, just a poser.

i didn't drive my car today. i'm a poser.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:50 AM   #14

Purchased my car Mid Dec., Put it away for about 10 weeks, It is now late Oct. and there are 13K more miles on it than when I got it. My only complaint is that I have not put more miles on it. We go on trips and Runs and just ride rain or shine. The top down is best, but certainly top up is better than driving most anything else. Yes it is more expensive to maintain than my Pick Up, but I didn't get one to say I have one, I got mine to enjoy the pleasure of a fine automobile. I have driven sports cars since I was 16 and have had a few nice ones. Nothing compares to the Boxster so why not enjoy. I will die one day and I would not like to think that I left a car with no miles on it. What a waste. Ed
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:15 AM   #15

You guys are right...
I'm going to make it a point to drive it to work at lease twice each week next summer. I'll try and get it out more often this fall too...
I only put about 1800 miles on it since early April... that's just sad.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:58 AM   #16

I'd like to thank all people who drive their Ps as little as possible in order to save them for us who will pick them up on the used car market and drive the hell out of them.
Thank you.
boxstershorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:21 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstershorts
I'd like to thank all people who drive their Ps as little as possible in order to save them for us who will pick them up on the used car market and drive the hell out of them.
Thank you.
Canada? I guess you need to get all of the time in you can before your long winters! I look at it this way. I have 3 other vehicles to use including a new 2008 C350 Sport so like Max said if I just drove the Box, then it is going to have a ton of wear and miles on it....I will say this, for stability and just wonderful driving I would take the MB C350 Sport anyday! It is solid as a rock and drives absolutely PERFECTLY. Of course, everyone needs a truck, so I kept my Tahoe for boat/trailer hauling and DIY store visits!

But for pure fun and the one that I just grin everytime I drive, it is the Box hands down 100% Feels like I am a little kid driving a shiny matchbox car around in a grown-up world, makes me younger, even though I am still in early 30s. Does it keep you young when you are 40-60? If so, I might need to keep buying them!

All the best.
Old 10-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxstershorts
Thank you.
Here Here. Good Point. I would also like to thank all off you non drivers for potentially supplying my next Porsche.
cvhs18472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:46 AM   #19
fab

drove me car into work today too. haven't ridden it for a while. Samething I won't drive it if it's going to rain. Only put approx. 3000 miles so far this summer....boo hoo hoo... dread the fact that the winter months are coming and the car charger will have to come out and she will be hibernating for a few months or so.
painted bumperettes
autoband paint protection
wheel caps & colored crests
door sills
Valentine One
fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #20

Just me or does anyone else get the "now I know who makes the big bucks around here" --- "you drive a Porsche" comments? Just funny jabs, but you know what I mean! Heck, it shouldn't be a surprise since I am a professional, but I guess I have been driving my Tahoe around for the last 5 years and I was "under the radar" ----