Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2005, 07:07 PM   #21

Adam,

a long time ago I put 235/40X18 tires (in the front)on the car and it WILL rub with them on....and it will significantly decrease your steering radius. I ultimatly after 1 week of dring that way went back to the 225's....I did however like and stay with 275's in the rear. No rubbing trouble there....

Old 03-14-2005, 07:03 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap
check tiresavings.com you can check availble models by tire size.
They don't make the PS2s for the 17s. Any other recommendations? I was thinking of the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Thanks.
NoElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 AM   #23

No PS2 for 17"? Maybe they are available from another vendor?
All season Pilot sports sounds great but I don't think they mean snow when they say all season. A change of tires seems unavoidable. Maybe the summer only original Pilot Sports? They seem to be the most popular.

As far as winter drving I'm planning on switching tires this November and then running summer tire around April.
I plan on doing a fair bit of driving instruction/Autocross here in New Jersey so I'm looking for a good street tire that is decent on the track/Autocross.

here's a reply I got on the NNJ PCA forum:

"The PS2s, as you pointed out, have received excellent reviews from just about everyone I know that has experienced them. One friend of mine that has tried just about every wheel/tire combo on his M3 has said that these PS2s give a great balance of feedback, grip, agility, and ride quality. They would be a good choice.

Also to be considered would be a BF Goodrich KD. They were tested against the Falkens and other "near R-Comps" by Grassroots about a year ago, and won the street tire portion of the test.

That said, the best street tire still came in (in that test) a full two seconds behind the worst R-Comp (which in this test was the Toyo RA-1). If you were interested in a R-Comp that is extremely livable and durable on the street, autox, and track, I would suggest the RA-1. I have a set on my 911 and have yet to see a downside. They are even great in frigid temps...unheard of in the scheme of R-Comps. "
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 03-14-2005 at 08:49 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 11:48 AM   #24

I checked with TireRack and although they don't make a PS2 in 205/50-17, a 225/45-17 will fit without any mods. Can anyone confirm this? I am not planning on driving much during the snow, but thought I could take advantage of the longer tread life of the A/S tires without sacrificing much performance. How much performance would I lose over the PS2s? Also, I don't plan on tracking the car, but I will put it though it's paces on the street
NoElise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 12:13 PM   #25

well you will be ok in the back but that won't work up front. I'm sure it will affect the turning radius.
Best to call the tire rack, they love to talk wheels and tires. Don't feel any pressure to by with them.
Here in New Jersey give Euro Tire a call.

http://www.eurotire.com/
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Shortbus Send a message via MSN to Shortbus Send a message via Yahoo to Shortbus
Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S (all seasons) version on the boxster? I drive mine in the winters and that's pretty much the only all season tire i've considered short of getting a second set of wheels for winter tires but would really rather not do that....

My dealer frowns when i say all season tires on a porsche. They told me if I were looking at all season tires i'd better go get a sedan

Christian -
Shortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM   #27

Dunlop SP 9090 Tires

Four months ago I purchased the SP 9090 Dunlop tires. While driving home in the rain the other night I experienced severe hydroplaning. To my surprise; I noticed that my rear tires were completely worn out. I only have 2400 miles on the tires. I'm very disappointed with Dunlop tires... Has anyone else had wear problems with the 9090 tires?
Jetmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 10:35 AM   #28

Holy cow

That's a third of the mileage you should be getting as a bare minimum... unless you've been very hard on them and done a lot of tire spinning or drifting.

If not, I'd be down at the shop getting a 4 wheel laser alignment to see what's going on in the back.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetmd
Four months ago I purchased the SP 9090 Dunlop tires. While driving home in the rain the other night I experienced severe hydroplaning. To my surprise; I noticed that my rear tires were completely worn out. I only have 2400 miles on the tires. I'm very disappointed with Dunlop tires... Has anyone else had wear problems with the 9090 tires?
Hi,

The Dunlops are very soft, treadwear rating of 280. They do wear quickly and non-linearly. Still, you should get at least 3-5 times the wear you have. Performance Tires differ from M&S Passenger Car tires in that they require more care and maintenance to maximize their lifespan. They are much more sensitive to abuse and improper pressures.

My suspiscion is one of several things, or a combination of them. You have some fairly acute alignment issues, especially on the rear. You have lowered the car increasing the negative camber (probably inadvertently), increasing the Car's tire-eating abilities. Tire pressures were not properly monitored. You drive the car fairly hard. The roads are bad in your area. You've been using your Boxster to compete in Tractor Pulls...

Seriously, I have the same tire on my Esprit and love the performance, I'm on my 2nd set. The Esprit eats rear tires as badly as the Boxster, but I still got 15k mi. from them on my 1st set and the 2nd set is at 8k mi. w/ plenty of tread left. This is what leads me to believe that your experience is an aberration and either the Car or the Driver (or both) are at fault. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 01-25-2007 at 11:09 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Anyone have the Toyo RA-1?
They had a great review in Grassroot Motorsports. Not far from R compound peformance and very good durability/driveability on street.
(Strictly for Summer use)
Toyo RA-1s are R comp tires. I bought a set for my Boxster. I ran them for 2 seasons on my 911. Really good overall tires for AX and DE. NOT as sticky as Victoracers, V710s, Hoosiers or Avons but better than MPSCs and the rest.

They had a better life span than my Victoracers, but only by 2-4 track days, or 5-6 autocrosses. Yes, I am hard on my tires
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #31

Quote:
If you plan on doing more than 10 autocross a year you may want to consider getting a set of Kumho Victor Racers. AutoX is very harsh on your tires, it will subastantially lower the life span of your tires if they are doing double street/autox duty.
on my old car I ran a set of Azenis for Summer and then went back to the inexpensive Kuhmo Supra's. The Supra's are adequate for street but absoulutely horrible for Autocross. Sidewalls way to soft, but a nice ride.
I have to change my worn out Conti rears now, I'm leaning towards the Pilot Sports.
I didn't read all the fine print of this thread but I second what Perfectlap says. Regular tires will get chewed up quicker than usual if you autocross a lot. You can find an old set of 17" OEM wheels (cheaper tires and usually lighter weight) for around $500 and throw some cheaper track tires on for $500 (Falken RT-615's come to mind). This will protect your $1000 set of everyday tires and in the end you can sell the wheels (and whats left of the tires) and regain some of what you spent.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by aramati
- If I need new tires what would you recommend for a combination performance for street/Auto-X?

Your advice will be much appreciated.
Regards,

Check the rulebook!

Changing tires can affect the class you run in. An "R" comp tire can put you in an improved or modified class that, depending on what you have done to your car can put you at an extreme disadvantage. Many clubs use a treadwear rating of 140 as a guideline. Above 140=street tire. Below 140=competition tire.
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2007, 04:26 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_d
Check the rulebook!

Changing tires can affect the class you run in. An "R" comp tire can put you in an improved or modified class that, depending on what you have done to your car can put you at an extreme disadvantage. Many clubs use a treadwear rating of 140 as a guideline. Above 140=street tire. Below 140=competition tire.
I was worried about this as well but in all the events I've ran with SCCA my Victoracers didn't move me into a different class (kind of sort of but not really). In Chicago and Milwaukee SCCA the race tires make you a true AS. Before I put race tires on I would run "Street Tire" AS or "Street Tire" RWD. I'm pretty sure SCCA nationals is set up this way as well even thought I doubt anyone shows up without race tread.

This has been my experience so I'm hoping a SCCA rule expert can comment...

Of course there are autocross clubs outside of SCCA...
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2007, 06:34 PM   #34
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoElise
I checked with TireRack and although they don't make a PS2 in 205/50-17, a 225/45-17 will fit without any mods. Can anyone confirm this? I am not planning on driving much during the snow, but thought I could take advantage of the longer tread life of the A/S tires without sacrificing much performance. How much performance would I lose over the PS2s? Also, I don't plan on tracking the car, but I will put it though it's paces on the street
I have about 20,000 miles on a set of 225/45 x 17 inch Pzero N2 tires on the front my 01. No issues at all, except it reduced understeer!!
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.

Last edited by Paul; 01-26-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2007, 08:59 AM   #35

If tread life is the most important factor would an all season (Yokohama ADVAN S.4.) tend to last longer than a summer tire (Michelin Pilot Sport PS2)? --- Assuming the same driving conditions

Also, which one would do better in wet conditions???

2005 Porsche Boxster
2007 Lexus LS460
2004 Lexus RX

Last edited by luxury1; 01-29-2007 at 06:42 AM.
luxury1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 01:34 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy
I was worried about this as well but in all the events I've ran with SCCA my Victoracers didn't move me into a different class (kind of sort of but not really). In Chicago and Milwaukee SCCA the race tires make you a true AS. Before I put race tires on I would run "Street Tire" AS or "Street Tire" RWD. I'm pretty sure SCCA nationals is set up this way as well even thought I doubt anyone shows up without race tread.

This has been my experience so I'm hoping a SCCA rule expert can comment...

Of course there are autocross clubs outside of SCCA...
The National classing structure doesn't have any "street tire stock" classes like Milwaukee region (and others) do. Nationally, whether you run R-comps or regular (140+ treadwear tires) your Boxster is in A Stock.

My co-driver and I are signed up for the Milwaukee National Tour, you should show up and help us fill up A Stock with Boxsters!
John V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:11 PM   #37

Quote:

"Four months ago I purchased the SP 9090 Dunlop tires. While driving home in the rain the other night I experienced severe hydroplaning. To my surprise; I noticed that my rear tires were completely worn out. I only have 2400 miles on the tires. I'm very disappointed with Dunlop tires... Has anyone else had wear problems with the 9090 tires?"

Originally Posted by Jetmd

I just got back from a road trip to Florida this week, 700+ miles each way. On the way back today there was a lot of rain down south, and I was suprised at how much my PS2's were hydroplaning. The rear tires have less than 4k on them and are showing less than 3/16" of tread. I have been trying to take it easy on this set of rears, but it looks like I will not get 6K out of them. BTW, the front set has 9K+ on them and is showing 1/4" of tread.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote