Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2007, 08:31 AM   #1

Someone sliced my plastic rear window!

So I go out to my garage to twiddle around and clean up some odds and ends and as I walk by the rear of my car I noticed that there is a slice in my rear window. Its in the lower left (driver's side) corner almost right up against the canvas. At first I thought that it may have been a stress crack from putting the top up/down. So I get in and start putting the top down and notice that there is very little stress in the corner and that it couldn't have been from simply putting the top up/down. Also, my window is still very pliable and doubt it was from stress anyways.

The slice is basically the shape of an obtuse "\_" . I frantically called my insurance company (with whom I've never filed a claim) and discussed the issue and basically I'm covered for the repair. I then call the local Porsche dealership who informs me that they can have just the plastic replaced for $750. The service guy I talked to said they take the top off and send it to a local upholstery shop who sepcializes in automotive tops and upholstery. So, I'll skip filing a calim with my insurance and pay out of pocket to have a new plastic window sewn in. But I was so pissed off that some little bastard did this. There was nothing left in plain sight in the car either, so someone just did it out of spite.

By the way, the dealership wanted $5,500.00 to retrofit a glass windowed top with new frame to my car. Decided to pass on that obviously. I'll keep you all posted with the results.

Jeff

jl1252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:34 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
why not just file a claim to get the whole top replaced, and just pay the deductable?
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #3

Well, I thought about whole top replacement, and even considered an aftermarket GAHH or Robbins top, but I would prefer to stick with OEM. And to to a new canvas top with plastic window at the dealer is $3,800.00. If I claimed that on my insurance I'm guaranteed higher rates come renewal time. I'd rather not claim something like this anyway. $750 is no big deal out of pocket and my top is in great shape otherwise so I can't justify an entirely new top. I'd be happy with a new claerer plastic window.

Jeff
Old 05-05-2007, 10:23 AM   #4

Why go through the dealer

Who will take his cut. Go to the upholstery shop directly. The going rate for rear window plastic replacement is $400.

And you can replace the top yourself.

See Here
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 11:35 AM   #5

If you were to file a claim and then switch insurance carriers, would the new insurance company be aware of the claim since it wasn't a DMV related incident?
mjstallion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:04 PM   #6

My top was slashed as well about a year or so ago.
I had a GAHH top with a glass window installed by my local Porsche dealer, ran about 1700 or 1800 bucks..if I remember.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:21 PM   #7

Beware Of Insurance Fraud!!!!
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:27 PM   #8

I am very sorry to hear about your window. Let me know if you want help torturing the inconsiderate sob who did this to you.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 02:58 PM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Don't know if this will matter to you or not, but you do know that when they sew in a new plastic window, they have to cut out the old one, so when they sew in a new one, the replacement window will be slightly larger than the original one. Not a big deal, but it won't be the same size as OEM. If your insurance co. is willing to cover a new top, why not just get a glass windowed GAHH or Robbins top? No more worries of someone slicing your plastic window right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl1252
Well, I thought about whole top replacement, and even considered an aftermarket GAHH or Robbins top, but I would prefer to stick with OEM. And to to a new canvas top with plastic window at the dealer is $3,800.00. If I claimed that on my insurance I'm guaranteed higher rates come renewal time. I'd rather not claim something like this anyway. $750 is no big deal out of pocket and my top is in great shape otherwise so I can't justify an entirely new top. I'd be happy with a new claerer plastic window.

Jeff

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #10

I think I paid 600.00 to have the plastic window replaced by one of the best (and most expensive) shops around.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 06:04 PM   #11

Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can fix the cut while I decide what to do? I mean, is there a product that can chemically mend the cut back together so that water doesn't seep in?

Jeff
Old 05-05-2007, 06:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Does anyone have any thoughts about how I can fix the cut while I decide what to do? I mean, is there a product that can chemically mend the cut back together so that water doesn't seep in?

Jeff
2 words..

DUCT TAPE

sorry

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 PM   #13

If you're going to tape it, might as well go for clear packing (shipping) tape - at least it will be less noticeable that way. It won't hold up for years (will likely yellow over time) but will look better than silver/grey for the short while that you'll need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Gelefsky
2 words..

DUCT TAPE

sorry
Old 05-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
or just get a hardtop hehe
exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #15

Well, if anyone quotes more than $2k for replacing the top with a GAHH or Robbins GLASS window top... you're getting ripped. Each of those tops can be had for less than $1k, and a top/auto/boat/upholstery shop should be able to do the install in about a day's worth of labor, if not less.

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:21 AM   #16

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Quote:

Jeff

Yes, there is something perfect for that. Go to Lowe's and buy Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive. It's about $5.99. I put a stress crack in my window over the winter and used this to glue it together. So far it has held perfectly, and I've put the top up and down a couple of dozen times. My tear is right against the fabric and you can't even tell it's glued together.

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:33 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills
Yes, there is something perfect for that. Go to Lowe's and buy Loctite Vinyl, Fabric & Plastic Flexible Adhesive. It's about $5.99. I put a stress crack in my window over the winter and used this to glue it together. So far it has held perfectly, and I've put the top up and down a couple of dozen times. My tear is right against the fabric and you can't even tell it's glued together.

Great, thank you Chills,,,thats exactly what I was looking for!

Jeff
Old 05-06-2007, 11:17 PM   #18

Awesome, I'm gonna try that Loctite adhesive out too!

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 03:13 AM   #19

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
A little hint in applying the glue: use a toothpick. Dab a drop or two onto the tip of the toothpick and then lightly spread it onto the crack. It is a bit time consuming, but this will keep the glue from gooping up. Put on a thin coat, let it dry for an hour, then put another coat on. I probably did this 4 times to make sure I got a good seal.

I've washed my car 3 times since then and drove in the rain. No leaks (knock on wood ).

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 09:34 PM   #20

Chills comes to the rescue again. I just developed a 3" crack and will be headed to Lowe's this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chills

eVoMotion is offline   Reply With Quote