Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 01:57 PM   #1

Question When is major maintenance due ?

Hi,

I'm unfamiliar with Porsche's maintenance schedule.
Is there a millage or after X years when major maintenance needs to be done?
I'm shopping for a Boxster and would want to avoid buying one that is just about due for a major rehaul (or least be knowledgeable about it, so I can negotiate the price down).

On my Honda for example, you want to avoid anything around 90,000 miles. So, either get one way below 90k or starting at 120k miles. The reason is that at 95k there is a major tune up, which requires timing belt change, water pump etc.

So, what are those mileages or X years for a Boxster?

Thank You

Kyle32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:17 PM   #2

A minor maintenance is due every 15K miles. Major maintenance is due every 30K miles.

Google boxster major service intervals for detailed info about what constitutes "minor" and "major".
Old 10-10-2009, 08:56 PM   #3

Kyle32, if you're willing an able to learn how to do a few maintenance items yourself, the services every 30k miles really aren't that expensive. I just did a "major" 60k service and the parts/fluids were no more than $300.

No matter how well a car seems to have been maintained, something's going to need to be done. There's no free lunch on these cars. Better keep a $1,000-$2,000 slush fund for the unexpected.

Everyone on this board will tell you that they'd much rather buy a car with extensive service records and a clean Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI) that's approaching a major service than "a pig in a poke" (unknown history and/or no PPI) and a major service done. It's the unknowns that'll potentially clean your financial clock.

Tons of invaluable info here about about buying your first Box. Read it all.
gschotland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #4

I actually like buying a car that will need service

because, when I do it or get it done by a trusted mechanic, I know what the state of things are. If the Previous Owner did the service, who knows what didn't get done or what the mechanic found but they kept out of the paperwork.

My PPI showed, for example, the need for brakes and a tire wearing unevenly. So I took that into account in my offer for the car and the seller knew what the PPI found too so they were not surprised by my lowering my offer. I had the work done and now have a car with new brakes, brake fluid, alignment and tires. So no worries for another 20k miles. I even had the 60k service done at 43k just to do some of the things I thought should be done based on time and not mileage.

Perhaps as a result, my Boxster has been extraordinarily reliable.

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/mikesporscheboxsterwebpages

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote