Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2009, 05:11 PM   #1

Car Cover Destruction

Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of being able to park my car in a garage or other shelter to protect from the weather. Being this the case, I use a car cover to try to keep it clean. Since I've bought the car (and cover) in December, it has been ripped to shreds. This is due to the fact that when I get home and put the cover on, the exhaust will melt the material so that the next time I remove it, I have to rip it off. Not only does this result in the cover being ripped, but also the material melts on to the exhaust. You can even smell it when first driving for a few miles. Does anyone have this problem or can think of a solution? There is a giant tree in the driveway which covers the whole area that I can park so leaving it to cool down isn't a good option unless I want my car all nasty.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 09:30 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
You could just make sure the car cover does not touch the exhaust. If you are using a generic car cover look into getting a custom fitted one. It will last longer, and will probably be less likely to melt since they use higher quality material. You can always use some string and a hook to hold the back of the cover up a little bit.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:46 AM   #3

When I purchased my used 2000, the person gave me a new Porsche cover he never used. The bottom has some type of elastic which holds the cover in place. When I put it on the car the elastic holds the rear in place directly over the exhaust pipe and does not touch it. I have never had any problems with the cover touching it. The top looks almost new after 1.5 years of use.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 06:06 AM   #4
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Get a Porsche car cover made to fit the car, and it won't touch the tailpipe. You can usually find them used for a good price, if you don't want to spend the money on a new one.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #5

PolyNylon Covers

I am right now working with China manufacturer for two types of low cost covers. One is top cover only and the other is a full size. This material is light very strong material called poly-nylon. Weaterproof but not waterproof so it is breathable with a cotton underside. I have 2 protypes which now need to be adjusted in our next stage of fitting. I want them to work well and get the job done and not cost a bundle. The small version will go over the top from the bottom front windshield to the back bottom of the top door. It will have an elastic cord with a hook to attach to the wheels. Price should be around 40-50 bucks. The full size will fit pretty decent but have a little room for flexibility. Now, I never put a car cover over a hot car...let it cool a little first. Who knows, you mite smell something burning in the future.
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #6

I'll look into getting a used one or maybe I'll buy one from jcb Where could I buy a used car cover? I didn't think that was such a common thing to sell used.
Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:59 PM   #7

I park outside with a cover also. Had the same thing happen, melting on exhaust tips, after using the cover a few times. Solved the melting problem by hooking the back edge of the cover over the top of the bumperettes when the exhaust is hot and then pulling it down over the back of the car later on, after it has cooled down (if I remember to do it ).

I was just looking at Covercraft's web site and see that they offer a Nomex and Kevlar option to protect the exhaust area of the cover from melting. The catch, $150 extra cost added to the cover.
Then I got inspired by the "Nomex/Kevlar" materials. How about slipping an "Ove Glove" over the exhaust tip. Might need 2 if you have a 'S'. It'll protect the cover from the hot metal.
http://www.ovenglove.net/
$16.00 at Walgreens and Amazon.com has a version called the Handy Man's Ove' Glove for $14.99
After thinking about the glove possibility, I would turn it inside out, so the Nomex/Kevlar side is next to the hot metal, not the cotton inner liner. Cheap solution to protect the $$$ cover.
If you forget to take it off, I'm not sure how long it would stay on the exhaust tip, but it sure will look hilarious going down the street.

Last edited by Spinnaker; 07-13-2009 at 12:51 AM. Reason: found some more info
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 03:16 PM   #8

jcb986: You ever get your covers in production? I'm looking of a fitted cover only for the top, because I park under a grimy tree. I've got a full cover but never use it. I've an '07 S.

Can anyone recommend a source for covers that only cover our tops?

TIA Jef
jefla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 02:33 AM   #9

Interior cover

These guys advertise a cover that only covers the top section of the car.

http://www.carcoversdirect.com/products/specialty_covers/
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:56 AM   #10

I've been extremely happy with the Sunbrella cloth cover that I bought recently through a company that sells on eBay.

I always wanted Sunbrella fabric but balked at the $400-plus price tag. These guys sell their Boxster covers the for $170 + $20 shipping -- and they fit like a glove. Very happy with the product.

Here is the eBay item number for those who want to take a look: 180323169237

d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote