Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #1

Applying RaggTop

Hi, has anyone any tips on applying Raggtop?

I was considering using a foam paint brush, because of over spray concerns. But, before I go out there and do something stupid.... I would love to hear solutions from the community.

many thanks

BoxsterSbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 08:56 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxsterSbob
Hi, has anyone any tips on applying Raggtop?

I was considering using a foam paint brush, because of over spray concerns. But, before I go out there and do something stupid.... I would love to hear solutions from the community.

many thanks
I just use a towel to cover the windows and body in the area that I'm spraying. The overspray is easy to wipe off.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 AM   #3

Just did mine last weekend. No worries man...Just apply accordingly and use a microfiber towel to wipe off any overspray.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:15 AM   #4

Long time Raggtop user -- as noted, just cover the windows and you should be fine. Raggtop is certainly a very good product but I switched a couple years ago when I noticed that my patio umbrella was essentially the same fabric as my car top. I use the same fabric Scotch guard on my umbrella as I do the car top -- 1/2 the price seemingly equal protection as far as I can tell. Others may disagree but I'm happy with the trade off.
d18mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #5

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 10-06-2009, 10:01 AM   #6

Lots of newspaper and 3M masking tape.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #7
onshore

I just cut out a piece of cardboard the same shape as half the rear window and held it in place while I sprayed. The glass windows clean off easily with a regular towel. The cleaner got a major stain out of my top the first time and the conditioner makes it look like its got a lot of miles left.
Old 10-06-2009, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
Same here. Since you really only need to apply it about twice a year it's not as much of a chore as one would think.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:20 PM   #9

I've used it since day one on the Box and my top looks new. I don't bother to mask; spray carefully and wipe off any overspray with your favorite instant detailer product. One can has last me a long time (treated in spring and fall before hibernation).
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 03:37 PM   #10

Easy Way Out

I don't want to spark the debate again about which product to use, but your first email was right on. I scrub my top with a soft brush, then let it dry and warm up in direct sunlight. I then apply my product of choice with a foam, disposable brush. Did it yesterday. The top looks like new.
No masking. No spray into space. No newspaper. No cardboard. No towels. Just lots of product exactly where it belongs. (Especially in the seams.)
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:43 PM   #11
Dai

Masking tape and couple large black garbage bags and you are set.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I've used it since day one on the Box and my top looks new. I don't bother to mask; spray carefully and wipe off any overspray with your favorite instant detailer product. One can has last me a long time (treated in spring and fall before hibernation).
Exactly what he said! Tape and paper are not required. Just be precise on how you apply.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 PM   #13

I do it in parking garage or where ever there's little wind. Take an old shoe box and either use the lid or the box itself to shield your spraying hand. Its probably a good idea to do this before you wash the rest of the car. In other words use the rag top cleanser on the top first, then the protectant and then wash the rest of the car with your usual car wash soap or NoRinse.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 07:10 PM   #14

my top is in good overall condition - but it does have a couple spots...washing with water and scrubbing didn't get them out.

i have never used any kind of top cleaner...what exact raggtop cleaner do I use, as I see there are several different ones available.

i have an OEM top, although it is the second top the car has..about 3-4 years ago the dealer put a new top on the car under warranty...so the overall condition is very good. just need to get the spot out and make it look clean and new.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:39 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
That's what I use. I don't like cleaning up, so I'd rather spend prep time rather than clean up time.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:52 PM   #16

Hi, just finished applying the Raggtop. I decided to apply it with the foam brush. Just seemed to make the most sense for my environment.

I have say that the top seemed very thirsty? It really drank the stuff up. Has anyone else had that experience?

thanks to all for your comments.

bob
Old 10-07-2009, 02:10 PM   #17

Yup

As I said in my earlier post, I have applied my top protectant with a foam brush for several years. I like this approach because I can get an even application, none is lost, and I don't have to tape off the car. If the top hasn't been done lately it's likely to be thirsty. I like to apply extra along the seams. It just makes sense to me to do it this way.
schnellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 02:39 PM   #18

I'll try brushing some on the seams this fall to see how it works...that plus spraying should be good.

My top beads a considerable amount of water and most runs off; however, I must admit the car is not left out of the garage that often.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:26 PM   #19

I've also noticed the top soaking up the Raggtop. Seemed very thirsty for it, so much so that I only get two applications out of a large spray can of the protectant. The top always looks new afterward.

I just keep an eye on how well water beads up on the top to know when its time to reapply.
past: 2010 Boxster S
turbo23dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 05:59 PM   #20

Garage
Iam getting some fuzz where the top folds. obviously it is wear and tear. and i have seen it on other converts out there but... is this unavoidable or is it just a part of the aging process?

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote