Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2009, 01:18 PM   #1

Flashing fuel light

What does it mean when the fuel light flashes. It only seems to do it when theres less than half a tank. At first I thought it meant low fuel but obc reported 40 gal till empty. In manual it says bring it by dealership but there is no check engine light. Also while its flashing, the needle will move down to 0 position and then move back up when flashing ends.

Viper5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:41 PM   #2

Bump............
Old 10-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #3

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper5
What does it mean when the fuel light flashes. It only seems to do it when theres less than half a tank. At first I thought it meant low fuel but obc reported 40 gal till empty. In manual it says bring it by dealership but there is no check engine light. Also while its flashing, the needle will move down to 0 position and then move back up when flashing ends.

well im no expert but if the book says bring it to dealership... also if its saying there is 40 GAL til empty i would say that maybe it means ur fuel gauge is broken...
Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #4

No idea what it means, but I would drop by autozone and see if it threw a code. You can also disconnect your battery for an hour and see if it goes away. I would definately have it checked out as it could be something serious, or it could be as simple as a dislodged gas cap, ignition switch or just a hiccup. You might just call a porsche shop and ask them. Good luck and hope its not serious.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 12:36 PM   #5

I did bring it by a dealership. They told me to fill up the tank to full and it may just fix itself. It hasn't. I'm gonna have to bring it back there. And by the way, the 40 miles till empty happened when it was about at that level on the guage so it does seem to be working correctly.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:49 PM   #6

You might want to check your battery. Mine did almost the same thing as the old battery was going.

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #7

What year car do you have? It sounds as if you're letting the fuel level go too low.

In the owners manual it says that a flashing light means: there has been a system fault and that therre will then be no reserve fuel warning. To remedy, it says to visit an authorised Porsche dealer.

Guess that's not much help...

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote